VodkaPundit

A Few (Mostly) Sober Thoughts on the Second Boston Massacre.

April 16th, 2013 - 1:30 pm

Now that the initial shock has worn off from yesterday’s attack in Boston, I’ve been able to collect my thoughts. And I do mean collect — they were originally scattered all over Twitter. But a couple strong nighttime brandies, followed by seven hours of sleep, followed by a very angry Trifecta shoot on the subject, I think has me a little more coherent. So in no particular order, a few observations.

• It could have been much worse. That’s a terrible thing to say about an attack which seems to have been carefully designed to blow the legs off of runners, but it’s true. Had the killer(s) used better quality explosives and more shrapnel, the results would have been more devastating.

• Have the reports of unexploded bombs been dismissed? If not, then we may be looking at the work of an impatient young man. Either impatient in how he rigged the blasts, or in how he executed them. Al Qaeda enjoyed at 75% success rate on 9/11, and it would have been 100% were it not for the quick spoiling attack by a handful of passengers on Flight 93. If this attack’s success rate was really only 50%, then it would seem more Shoe Bomber and less Osama bin Laden.

• If the reports have been dismissed, it just goes to show how little attention you should pay to early reports. A simple fire at the JFK library was thought for hours to have been caused by a third bomb.

• The Left is absolutely shameful in its instant politicalization of the attack. The only one I know of who has apologized for his shameful remarks was Nick Kristof. But of course he’s still an idiot, so it makes no difference. None of this surprises me, but it hasn’t lost the power to sicken.

• Yes, some on the Right did it, too. But the Right doesn’t control the first responders, doesn’t control the mainstream media, doesn’t control the narrative. So those particular idiots are just internet cranks. But one flippant remark by a David Axelrod, uncritically repeated by the MSM, can have lasting and harmful effect.

• When these events happen, I used to go to Drudge and Instapundit and Google News and CNN and Fox and one or two of the major networks. Now I pretty much just bring up Twitter. So do millions of others. There’s a two strengths in this. Twitter has the ability to disseminate information widely and quickly, while also helping like nothing else to filter out the crap — and to shout down the Kristofs and the Axelrods. The other strength is, it gives people a place to gather, without a physical location for the terrorists to target. That failed to materialize fully in Boston yesterday, as traffic overwhelmed the cell phone system there. We need our communications to be hardened against EMP attack, yes, but also made more robust for times of crisis.

• Barney Frank is a reprehensible human being, assuming he’s a human being.

• Sharks gotta swim, bats gotta fly, ignoramuses gotta speculate. Especially the professional ignoramuses.

• IEDs coming to America is the real terror story here. It’s the nightmare scenario, in fact. It was also inevitable. Let’s not do something inevitably stupid to try and make ourselves “safe.” One PATRIOT Act this century is plenty, thanks.

• Quit saying “device,” you milquetoast talking head cowards. A “device” that goes “boom” is a “bomb.”

• When a bomb goes off and you don’t know who did it, just say a bomb went off and you don’t know who did it.

• Terrorism is vandalism writ large: Mindless, sniggering destruction for its own sake. This particular person or group was particularly fiendish, setting the bombs to go off at the time in the race when the biggest group of runners is approaching the finish line. And if these bombs really were set low to rip off the perfect legs of long-distance runners, then that’s a bit of fiendish sadism unequaled even on 9/11.

That’s it for now. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts? Ok, you asked for it...

Oh my God! I am so freaking angry and simultaneously sad right now! I feel almost exactly the same as I did just over 11 years ago on that warm September morning in 2001. The only difference today is that I know there are far fewer casualties this time around, so fewer people are feeling the very personal, heart wrenching pain than did back then.

I cannot help but empathize with the parents who lost their 8 year old son, as one of my sons is the same age. I cannot imagine what they are going through. I just read a story on Fox News about that kid, and it ripped my heart out. Reading that story brought me to tears, but those tears quickly turned to anger.

I wish, with all my heart, that I could be there in Boston to help somehow. I truly wish I could be involved in finding the CHICKEN S*** SCUMBAG M-F’ERS that did this, and put some serious hurt on them. I know I am not alone in these feelings, as several of my coworkers and I spoke about this last night while we are all stuck here, thousands of miles away, feeling useless. I can only imagine how our soldiers overseas feel right now.

The saddest part as I see it, because it truly affects all of us, is that while I have all the faith in the world in my brothers in blue back in Boston, and in the excellent investigative abilities of the FBI, I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO faith in the resolve of Obama to see this through. Drawing the comparison between the Boston bombings and with his mishandling of Benghazi is all too easy.

Eleven years ago, Bush brought this country together, and even the people who did not like him, were with him in the hour of our country’s need. Obama does not instill those feelings in anyone. Even when incidents like this happen, his words and actions divide us rather than bring us together. Obama is worthless and he is destroying this country!

Peace through strength worked, and worked well for many decades. We can see where peace through placating is taking us, and I do not want to go there. Time to turn this ship around and once again be the country that I fondly remember.
To be completely honest...I used to be against the death penalty. No longer. After 9/11 & Sandy Hook & Benghazi & Colorado & yesterday, etc. etc., I feel it has become a war between good people and very bad ones. And we, the good people have a inherent right to live in peace. And those who would rob us of it, perhaps forfeit their right to walk on this earth among us. I could be wrong and I guess I'll find out on my own day of reckoning, but right now this feel right.
Agreed on 95% of this, but you think policemen are creatures of the left? Really?
That was poorly worded. To clarify: The President, a notably lefty, controls the FBI and other agencies in charge of the investigation.
Food for thought. Pressure cooker IEDs are common in Afghanistan and the surrounding countries, simple to build, effective, and the instructions are all over the jihadi web pages, not just AQ. They act as a giant shotgun shell or claymore mine, as the thicker walls of the cooker direct the blast out the top. I don't think the leg level was deliberate, rather how the circumstances dictated the deployment of the bombs. They needed to be hidden from view, with the business end (top of the cooker) facing the target area. The reports all agree that the bombs were placed in trash cans, which are about waist height for most people. So bury them down a bit, and this would explain the trajectory of the shrapnel into the leg areas. I suspect a jihadist did this bombing, either acting alone or with the help of one of the many terror organizations support. But my suspicion of this is based on the type of devise, placement, timing, and the targeted event. It fits their targeting criteria very well, as well as their known tactics and favored bomb construction (Times Square in 2010 also involved a pressure cooker bomb too). But we'll see.
This is the first I've heard that the library was just a fire.

Re: the first point. Someone suggested that a far higher casualty rate could have been had if they had bombed the start of the race instead of the finish. That suggested to him that the bomber might not have entirely understood how the Marathon worked.
Actually, I think the densely packed crowds and runners at the start of the race would have produced fewer casualties as the poor folks right next to the bombs would have absorbed the lions share of the blast and shrapnel. A thinly spread out crowd would produce more casualties

Within hours, a commenter on the Deadspin bombing article said:

"Please, please, please don't let this attack be the work of a religious or ethnic minority."

Somehow I don't think he had Mormons or evangelicals in mind when he wrote "religious minority". In fact, as he further elaborated, he meant he hoped the perpetrator was white, so that white people wouldn't have an excuse to go lynch dark-skinned people. Don't be shocked by this--we were all thinking one version or another of it. Depending on your tastes, either hoping that the perpetrator does *not* identify with ourselves, or hoping that the perpetrator *does* identify with a group we would like to see vilified (or worse).

I have grave doubts that self-protection, much less justice, can be served in an atmosphere so poisonous.
My thoughts? Ok, you asked for it...