VodkaPundit

Tattoo U

March 11th, 2013 - 4:12 pm

Today’s big medical advance has some creepy undertones:

University of Illinois researchers have developed a tattoo-like electronic mesh that attaches to skin, and can measure vital statistics and report it wirelessly to a computer. The thin device includes electrodes, sensors, power, and a wireless communications system, in what looks like no more than a bandage, reports MIT Technology Review. The sensors can measure the hydration and temperature of the skin beneath it, as well as any strain being applied to the area. The mesh is applied by a rubber stamp, and it could be used to discreetly monitor a patient’s recovery sites after surgery.

Just a few years ago, I would have been hailing this as a marvel. But now that we have ObamaCare and centralized medical records held mandatorily by the IRS, this scares the bejeebus out of me. Because just wait until these snoops applied permanently — and by mandate.

Wait! Where are the 6s?

Is this thing on?
Poo. Beat me to it. :P Your delivery was better anyway. :D
I worry about an integrated patient off switch, to be used when that unit no longer meets the standards as a tax generating asset. Makes me think of "A Boy and His Dog: "Lack of respect, wrong attitude, failure to obey authority. The Farm!" Farm = execution.
The technology isn't the thing to worry about, but the people who WILL abuse it. Which gets right to your IRS comment. I don't think I'm quite as concerned about full time use requirements as this device will no doubt get hacked very quickly and will show lots of people in very good and consistent health. That or I'll be seen as changing to a reptiloid on a regular basis. (That is SO a word.)
Reminds me of a certain other tattoo that a certain government mandated for certain peoples.