VodkaPundit

Has Apple Maps Caught Up?

March 8th, 2013 - 1:16 pm

Longtime Apple skeptic John Dvorak performs test, claims Apple Maps beats Google for accuracy.

Huh. Would not have expected that. Of course, this is Dvorak, so he might just be trolling for hits. But maybe not, if this next bit is true:

Even Google Maps on the computer is deteriorating. When I first began this trek, I routed myself to the Apple headquarters using Google Maps on the computer. It showed three routes to the facility from Berkeley, but the fastest route, according to Google’s own calculation, was over the Dumbarton Bridge. Oddly, it was not shown as an option. I had to create it myself.

I’m not surprised that Apple’s Maps app has improved performance, because the app itself was always quite good. What sucked was the data, which improves with time, users, and user feedback. Google Maps stared off the same way, if you’ll recall. Apple must’ve taken an all-hands approach to getting their map data dialed in, and it shows.

The question is, is Dumbarton Bridge the fastest route to Apple headquarters from Berkeley? The distance looks comparable to what google maps suggests and, since I'm not there to test drive the routes in traffic, I'm unconvinced by Dvorak's argument without a bit more evidence.
I've been working my way through Emergency! and Adam-12 on Netflix. Game I like to play while watching is looking up street addresses the shows mention and see what they look like 40yrs on. Apple Maps is barely over 0% for finding these SF Valley locations. Google, on the other hand, almost always finds them.
Fun!
Seems like a crappy test to me. Apple should do better on a test route to APPLES FRICKEN HEADQUARTERS!!!

He should go back and run a similar test route to google’s headquarters.

Or better yet, a test route to Bubba’s BBQ in Bumfuk, OK.
I default to the Google map app on my phone, but Google Maps on the web has lost a lot of what I used to like about it, little UI touches that I guess the designers decided only mattered to less than 40% of users.

That seems to be the trend these days, a race to the lowest common denominator that involves doing away with even the option to retain a tweak that didn't make the cut to be a mandatory feature.
I love Apple, but the maps are still garbage (Not the actual app, but the data). I use the Lexus navigation 95% of the time. The search function on that is underwhelming, so Google Maps became my back-up plan after Apple Maps sent me to business locations that were long closed/gone more than once. I hope they'll fix it, but like you said, it'll take time. Lots of time.