VodkaPundit

Apple iWatch Not the Next Big Thing

March 6th, 2013 - 1:39 pm

That’s what the CEO of Swatch says:

“Personally, I don’t believe it’s the next revolution,” the head of the largest Swiss watchmaker said, according to Bloomberg . “Replacing an iPhone with an interactive terminal on your wrist is difficult. You can’t have an immense display.”

Hayek also noted that watch consumers often buy the items as jewelry items and often like to change them. Such behavior could represent an obstacle for Apple, as the physical style of any potential iWatch would not likely be readily changeable, though the visual possibilities enabled by a flexible display could mitigate that problem to an extent.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Apple were looking into some sort of wearable computer. Actually, it would be shocking if they weren’t. But iWatch? Really? Smartphones, starting with the iPhone, pretty much killed off wearing watches for utility. People who still wear them tend to wear them either as jewelry, or because they aren’t smartphone users. The former isn’t a large enough market for Apple to address, nor is it the kind of market Apple should address. The latter? Maybe someday they’ll buy an iPhone, maybe not. But an iWatch? Probably never.

Also, Swatch is still a thing? Who knew?

Back around 1978, HP had an advertisement in Scientific American for a "computer watch" that would be able to do calculations involving actual current time. They said something like "We can DO this, but we can't figure out a particular USE for this. We're hoping you'll come up with some." The price, in 1978 dollars, was around a grand.

That was back when handheld calculators were really exploding onto the scene, and replacing everybody's slide rules. But the price was WAY higher than my TI-59 programmable calculator.....
One day I was pontificating on how, in the old days, if someone wanted to know what time it was, they'd have to reasch into a special pocket, pull out a device, fiddle with it to expose the display, and look at it; then they'd have to fiddle with it again to hide the display and put the thing away. Then along came the 20th century and the wristwatch, and those days were gone forever.

That last was said as I took out my iPhone to check the time. It got a very good laugh.
I would LOVE to have an iPhone on my wrist! Or even just an iPod touch. Or most likely, something in between.

But unless they can make a breakthrough on the UI front, I can’t imagine full iphone capabilities. How the hell do you input to such a device? Voice maybe?

But still, even with 60% capabilities, it seems doable, and with some real value.

And as to the size thing, have you noticed how big the stylish watches are these days?

I'll believe in the iWatch when I start to hear rumors about iGlasses. That's the only way it makes any sense.
Maybe it's for a twitter scroll?
I suspect that iWatch is as real and the Apple Television set thats been in the rumor mill for a couple years now. Actually, I suspect it's even less real. A proof of concept or R&D thing? Sure. Not a product.