The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

August 26, 2014 - 7:07 am

It’s not for jailing people because you do not like them.

I blame the teachers unions.

YouGov’s latest research shows that the public is far more divided over the prosecution of Rick Perry than commentators. 40% of Americans approve of the decision to persue criminal charges against Perry, while 37% disapprove. Opinions on the man himself are similarly split, though opinions tend to be unfavorable (39%) rather than favorable (31%).

Most Democrats (66%) support prosecutors charging Perry with abuse of power, while only 13% disagree. Independents tend to disapprove (42%) rather than approve (32%) of the charges, while Republicans overwhelmingly (67%) oppose the prosecution.

Looking at these numbers, the wrong person could come along and as long as they have a D attached to their name, they could get away with just about anything…

I hope I'd be just as concerned if a Montana prosecutor did something for our Dem Governor Bullock. But I'd have to quit laughing before I got indignant, I'll admit.
"Two out of three Democrats apparently have no idea what constitutional powers a governor has, and have no idea what the legal system is for (and what it’s not for)."

I'm sure that number is wrong.

It's more like 90%, at least.

Many Democrats evidently believe that pursuing a Republican agenda is per se criminal, and anything you can do to get the *&?!$# is fair game.

My guess is that, if a drunken Republican head of a Public Integrity Unit did what Lehmberg did, Democrats would not rest until the Republican was taken down. And if a Democratic governor were prosecuted in that case for doing what Perry did, most of those now slavering for Perry's scalp would be apoplectic.
I don't think it's that they don't know about the powers of a Governor, but think it's completely reasonable to prosecute a Republican for doing Republican type things, that such actions are de facto "abuse of power". In other words, that the Democratic Party should be in charge and any means necessary to do that are reasonable.