The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

May 12, 2014 - 8:35 am

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) headed up to early primary state New Hampshire on Friday for the first time in two years, fundraising for Republicans there and heightening speculation that he’s gearing up for a presidential run.

Rubio told ABC that if he makes the leap for a White House run, he won’t have a fallback plan to stay in the Senate.

“I’ve openly said in the past that it’s something I will consider at the end of this year, that I’ll look at a number of factors, personal factors, but also whether I could best promote this message and actually put in place these ideas that I want to see put in place, whether I could best do that from the presidency as opposed to the Senate,” he said.

“If I decide to run for president, I will not have some sort of exit strategy to run — to run for the Senate. I believe that if you want to be president of the United States, you run for president. You don’t run for president with some eject button in the cockpit that — that — that allows you to go on an exit ramp if it doesn’t work out.”

When asked if he thinks he’s ready to be president, the senator said, “I do.”

“But I think that’s true for multiple other people that would want to run. I mean I’ll be 43 this month, but — but the other thing that perhaps people don’t realize, I’ve served now in public office for the better part of 14 years,” Rubio said. “And most importantly, I think a president has to have a clear vision of where the country needs to go and clear ideas about how to get it there. And — and I think we’re very blessed in our party to have a number of people that fit that criteria.”

“And the question is what — whose vision is the one that our party wants to follow?”

Rubio said he doesn’t “really pay a lot of attention” to polls that show his luster has faded with the right.

“If you decide to run for president, there’s going to be a campaign and in that campaign, you’re going to interact with voters and you’re going to explain to them where you stand and those numbers can change one way or the other,” he said.

Rubio was part of the Senate group of eight that arrived at an immigration compromise that hasn’t been taken up in the House. “We’re not going to grant blanket amnesty to 12 million people. We’re also not going to round up and deport 12 million people. So that issue has to be dealt with in a reasonable but responsible way,” he said.

On Hillary Clinton, he noted, “I’m sure she’s going to go around bragging about her time in the State Department. She’s also going to have to be held accountable for its failures, whether it’s the failed reset with Russia, or the failure in Benghazi that actually cost lives.”

“I don’t think she has a passing grade,” Rubio added. “…If you look at the diplomacy that was pursued in her time in the State Department, it has failed everywhere in the world. So here’s what I would say, if she is going to run on her record as secretary of State, she is also going to have to answer for its massive failures.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

He's pro-amnesty and pro-open borders. He's done. Case closed. Go away.
My Electoral Analysis:

-Race: Rubio will gain some Latino support due to racial and linguistic solidarity.

-Race Caveat: Latino conversion will be blunted by two factors: Latino "Uncle Tom" media spin and generalized Latino prejudice against Cuban Americans.

-Small-government conservatives: Rubio has endorsed statist solutions. No conversion of votes to his opponent, but much of the Tea Party will stay home.

-Big-Government conservatives: Rubio's view of immigration has alienated many social conservatives. Depressed turnout.

-Centrists and Leaners: Rubio is farther right socially than either McCain or Romney, neither of whom saw significant cross-over voting. Very little conversion of independent liberals.

-Millennial Libertarians: Rubio has not been consistent in separating his social values from state policy. No conversion from young libertarian leaning democrats and independents.

Final Analysis: Rubio will depress the Republican base. Some support will be picked up due to his heritage, but likely not enough to offset his chilling impact on other sectors of the electorate. Low turnout and minor crossover voting will result in a crushing defeat, followed by a media narrative of how the Republicans are constitutionally incapable of drawing minority support, even with a minority candidate.

Conclusion: If Jeb Bush doesn't run, this will be the guy the media will try and make the general election Republican nominee.
I think Paul is going to emerge as the media favorite by default - if only to pick him apart for the Sheldon Adelson crowd and neocons later. The bad part of any R candidate selection in '16 is that they would be picking first - this gives the Dems to find a counterbalance VP or even a "doctor's orders withdrawal" of Hilary at the top of the ticket, if the matchup didnt favor them. For example, if Rubio, Sandoval or Martinez were the running mate, the dems could go boring mid-southern white guy - J. Nixon, Manchin, Joe Donnelly, perhaps Robert Casey.
Maybe if he cuts a deal with Lt. Col. Allen West - I'll give up my seat and run for president and I'll endorse and actively support you to be the next Senator in return for your visible endorsement. This might at least get the 29 Florida EVs back in the R column , even though you might see something like you did in Nevada in 2010 - there wasnt much "coattail" between Sandoval and Angle support, although West's genuine blackness (for lack of a better way to put it) might help statewide.
What has Rubio done other than give a few good speeches? He is too young (early 40's). His entire adult life has been spent in elective oofice in a legislative capacity from city commission to state house to US Senate. He has no meaningful management or leadership experience much less executive experience. He is not qualified.
How is he any better than McCain or Romney, other than that a few more Hispanics might vote for him?
The only thing that matters to put the torch to Rubio's presidential hopes is that real Republicans won't vote for somebody who favors amnesty for illegal aliens, and that real Democrats won't vote for a RINO, even if he IS in favor of amnesty. Dems will vote for a real Dem rather than a fake DEM/RINO "centrist". And the RINOS aren't enough to push Rubio (or Romney, or McCain, or Dole, or any of the other dismal faux Republicans we've been cursed with over the past half-century) over the top.
Rubio will assess, poll, evaluate, right up to the last possible second before he needs to make a decision. My guess is he won't be in the top three potentials and will stay in the Senate for the good of his family. Too bad, he probably has something to contribute, recent statements on climate change notwithstanding.
He's pro-amnesty and pro-open borders. He's done. Case closed. Go away.
He's setting up to be the next John Edwards - hopefully the baby's momma is a fetching piece of eye candy from the Univision or Telemundo lot.
Rubio will run for President because he can't get re-elected Senator in FL.
Amigos – comrades – muchachos – friends - we are gathered here as an edifice of the great glory that is now vanishing before our very eyes and the intuitive feeling, based on the assumption as Mencken once proclaimed, “He who underestimates the American public will never go broke.” This is merely a small indication to behold and to perceive that which has gone way into the behind and to that which might project .. I mean go forward … out of the mouth … i mean .. the future…we’ve got to rip up the constitution so we can rip down those outdated and inconvenient borders! This is the main detergent ... I mean main deterrent ... upon which we have gathered our strength and to all the others who say, “What the hell did that get?” – We don’t yet know.

Clearly today we must all be gravely aware that political expediency, latino ethnicity and the Chamber of Commerce's need for serf labor take precedence over rule of law and constitutional procedure. However you say – WTF ! – what the Hell does this mean… in relation to the tabulation whereby we must finally realize that the great reconquesta story is now being rehearsed before our very eyes, in the rise of Marco Rubio and Paul Ryan… indicating that only two-faced … I mean fork-faced ... I mean bi-faced … I mean bi-polar … I mean a bi-lingual hombre and his faithful amigo can receive…the award for reconquesta, unlike Kenyan Hussein Obama whose reconquesta plans don’t drink water.

And as Miller once said in one of his great novels- what did he … that language is only necessary when bilingual communication is endangered. And you sit there bewildered, and Pinter who went further said “It is not the lack of communication, but fear of communication.” That’s what the damn thing is that we fear – communication – especially all the Spanish communication that’s even on a box of Wheaties now. Damn it! And through all this John McCain has attained, and has created for himsself serenity, and it is only his senility that is keeping him alive in his insanity. And Jeb Bush has discovered that he is in love with every man and woman in Mexico and will marry them all just as soon as polygamy becomes legal in America.

Moving right along in my brief remarks ... ... Senors y Senoritas, Ladies and Gentlemen, Peeps and Peepettes, Rulers and Ruled, the time will soon come when a first world America will outlive its usefulness. Marx, either Groucho or Karl, I can’t remember which, maybe it was both or maybe it was Harpo, once said that America is the opiate of the people. I say that when America outlives its usefulness and becomes a majority Mexican nation , then opium…will be the opiate…Ahh that’s not a bad idea… we are going to need that badly especially when all the booze runs out …

And the completely and totally unbiased and bi-partisan panel, has determined to give the grand prize to Marco Rubio and Paul Ryan for their EARNESTY’S RAINBOW. Now EARNESTY’S RAINBOW is a token of these men’s genius…they told me so themselves and repeatedly … that they could change perceptions by calling their plan for knocking down those pesky borders EARNESTY …in other words, they could have been a little more specific, but rather than allude to an articulation of the mundane, they have come to the conclusion that brevity is the importance of our nation’s shallow and selfish first world existence. God damn!

Marco Rubio’s and Paul Ryan's. EARNESTY’S RAINBOW – is a small contribution to a certain degree, since there are over seven billion people in the world today. 315 of them … million live in the United States which is a very, very small amount compared to those who will be miserable and enslaved and dying elsewhere…Well, I say that you will be on the road to new horizons, for we who live in a society where citizenship is a commodity and a politician can become a TV personality and very wealthy, it’s not easy to conform if you have any morality at all…I, I, I said that myself many years ago…

But I do want to thank la Raza…I mean the DNC ... I mean the Chamber of Commerce ... I mean the RNC … I mean la Raza and the DNC and the Chamber of Commerce and their wholly bought and paid for subsidiary the RNC, the organization for the $500 in affirmative action latino scholarships they’ve given out…today they took in over $5,000,000, but they do have expenses for their brilliant consultants you know, and I think that I have another appointment. I certainly hope so. I would like to stay here, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, and I want to thank the founding fathers for all the sacrifices they made however much they were in vain but now, most of all, and looking into the failure ... I mean the future .. I want to thank Marco Rubio – acting el Presidenta of Juarez la Raza Mexiamerica and Paul Ryan – acting First Lady of Juarez la Raza Mexiamerica and also Mr. Obama – acting Pharaoh and Peeping Tom ... I mean Spy Master and Drone Commander of the World – and a