The PJ Tatler

Mozilla Haz a BIG Sad — And Arithmetic Troubles

In Mozilla-land, 95 percent of 23000 is .. 7500?

Charlie Martin

April 8, 2014 - 8:24 pm

Okay, I was just figuring to follow up on “Mozilla Monday”. That looks bad enough for Mozilla.

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 21.07.16

Looks like they had around 13,000 “sad faces” yesterday.

But then I noticed something: Here’s a screenshot of their 1-day totals for today. You will notice that they have around 23000 messages, and over in the left (in faint gray type dammit) they show 95% are sad.

(Just in passing, does this “sad face”/”happy face” thing seem just incredibly childish to anyone else?)

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 21.06.58

Yeah, you need to click it to read it.

Look where today’s figure is on the chart. Just over 7500. Now, I haven’t lived in Mountain View in a long time, but when I was last there, 22792×0.95 was 21652. I just checked by computing it via Google and that’s what I get now.

Isn’t that odd.

Charlie Martin writes on science, health, culture and technology for PJ Media. Follow his 13 week diet and exercise experiment on Facebook and at PJ Lifestyle

So far in all of this I've seen no one say the obvious:

This incident tells us that Mozilla is Doomed. Their Board is incapable of making critical strategic business decisions in the best interest of their company, products, services, or market. Instead they are making critical strategic business decisions based upon optics and politics.
Hide the decline.
That's how you bend the hockey stick! Look for Firefox to become the required browser for O'care next.
So far in all of this I've seen no one say the obvious:

Yes, but look at most of the people who use the internet. Seems like Mozilla understands the market pretty well from that perspective.

If any of you want to dump Mozilla, but you love your Firefox functionality, I uninstalled Firefox from both my home and work PCs and installled Pale Moon: http://www.palemoon.org/

It uses the Mozilla platform, but does it's own thing on the front-end, and it's unaffiliated with Firefox. It also offers a 64-bit version, which Firefox doesn't have.
JaycenR, I've been looking at Pale Moon; but even their own website says it does not play well with AVG anti-virus. I admit to being pleased with AVG because it seems to catch stuff that get through my ISP's virus/malware software. Have you noticed any problems?

Subotai Bahadur
The Sad face and Smiley face are incredibly childish Charlie, I agree. But then everything these days seems to be getting more and more childish.My employer has a a system of public awards and gifts for those who've done 'outstanding work'. I've recieved several. When I read the accolade I find it is for something mundane, ordinary and for work totally expected in the past. Not for something extraordinary. As a matter of fact, I've stopped trying to make extraordinary effort in pleasing customers. I can get a $100 award randomly with no extra effort. Why try harder?
The younger generation has been trained to always expect a pat on the back for the ordinary, and don't dare offer any constructive, positive criticism!
Sad Face, Charlie.
I remember working on a project about 30 years back that the company said was a high priority. We were asked to give extra time, unpaid, to finish, a crucial stage of the project. We were told we'd be compensated, eventually, in some manner, and in proportion to our efforts. I worked 60 or 70 hours a week, more than anyone else on the team as far as I could tell. Lots of people only worked the obligatory 40 hours a week. At the end of the big push, EVERYONE on the team got two extra days off at Christmas, whether they'd done no extra work or a great deal.

Even that long ago, rewards were NOT consistent with efforts or results.
Yes, but 30 years ago most people with common sense would have identified that as piss-poor management. Today, it's the norm across many industries.
Eggs-actly JaycenR
PJ Media - PLEASE move the Report Abuse away from the Like! It's much to easy too hit the Report Abuse unwittingly.
Does the Obama administration run the Mozilla web site?
I notice that on April 8 you posted a chart that includes April 9 and April 10. Of course 9 and 10 are at 0, but how does the chart "know"?
You know, I've been meaning to mention that. Of course the whole curve is meaningless too -- The data points are "how many today?". But it sure looks hopeful, having that always trending to zero, doesn't it?
Hide the decline.