The PJ Tatler

Gallup: Uninsured Rate Up Since Obama Elected

Roughly 3.6 million more uninsured since Bush administration.

Charlie Martin

April 8, 2014 - 8:13 am

Seriously?

I’m sure there will be a bunch of self-congratulatory press releases and legacy media “news” reports on this Gallup poll.

gallup-insurance

If you move the goalposts far enough, you’re sure to score.

Gallup has a fairly honest headline: “In U.S., Uninsured Rate Lowest Since 2008″. But, hm, what happened in 2008? Let’s keep looking at the chart. The low was 14.4 percent, just before the financial crisis. Makes some sense, I’m sure a lot of people lost health insurance then. At the start of the Obama Administration, the rate was 15.6 percent; the peak was 18 percent — in roughly the third quarter of last year. Remember that, when people were objecting because they’d had their insurance canceled? Harry Reid said all those people were lying, but Gallup says different. In fact, 1 percentage point on this chart is, roughly, 3 million people. The change from Q1 to Q3 was about 2 percent — or roughly 6 million people who became uninsured.

Where have I heard that number before?

And now for the punchline: Since Obama was inaugurated in 20082009, the net change is from 15.4 percent uninsured to 15.6 percent. So the net effect has been that by the Gallup Survey the number of uninsured has improved in the last year, but gotten worse since Obama was inaugurated, and is 1.2 percent worse than under Bush.

Charlie Martin writes on science, health, culture and technology for PJ Media. Follow his 13 week diet and exercise experiment on Facebook and at PJ Lifestyle

The war to end all wars did not end wars

Since the war on poverty there are more poor

Since the war on drugs there is more drug use

One can make a list, a long list of all the things that governments have done that resulted in exactly the opposite of their original intent.

Anyone remembers the words "Venezuela is bound to be a leader and a showcase example of how the Alliance for Progress works for Latin America?" Well if that is the case Fidel Castro should have been delighted.

My dears. Until we mow down BIG government AND big business and make illegal the centralized administration of anything, you and I will continue to pay for things to get worse. Your tax dollars in action at last!
No, but if it doesn't even *work* then the "but more people are insured!' argument goes down the drain.

"Wait wait, you're looking at another argument when *mine* is the important one" isn't going to get lots of traction with me.
Stop confusing me with facts!
Start working at home with Google and make your own hours. You'll need a computer, an Internet connection & a can-do attitude. I earn up to $500/week. And whats awesome is Im working from home so I get more time with my family. View it now www.Pow6.com
What did happen in 2008? Oh yeah. The economy went down the drain. I wonder if that had anything to do with the rate of the uninsured? People were getting laid off = loosing employer linked insurance. People lost money = no money for insurance. I wonder what caused the sharp drop in the uninsured, withing the last year? I also wonder what the chart will show a year from now? How does it feel to see that "obamacare" is working?
How does it feel to see that "obamacare" is working?

No one will ever know.
Riddle me this, Batman. Is this the other side of the same coin? http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-rand-20140408,0,6208659.column Rand's study says 9.3M newly insured. I'm not sure how to fact check either one. I guess I'll just believe the narrative that appeals to me.
Follow the link back to Gallup. You'll discover the LA Times can't do arithmetic. They're also looking at the change from Oct 2013 to today.
An Ass masquerading as a President once found a Doctor’s white lab coat which had been left out in the sun to dry. He put it on and spoke to his countrymen. All bowed, both men and women, and he was a proud Ass that day. In his delight he lifted up his voice and brayed treatments and prescriptions and timetables and qualifications randomly and incoherently and unleashed mindless bureaucrat zombies upon the land to look for trouble, find it everywhere, diagnose everything incorrectly and then in a very grouchy and slow manner misapply all the wrong remedies, and then everyone knew him for the Ass he really was.
Sounds like a passage from Harry Reid's bible....who plays Satan?
The war to end all wars did not end wars

Since the war on poverty there are more poor

Since the war on drugs there is more drug use

Stop confusing me with facts!
Who cares? Who CARES? WHO CARES?!?!

The Constitutionality of Obamacare is the only thing that matters. Even IF 40 MILLION people gained insurance, it wouldn't matter. Even if Obamacare allowed us to insure people in Sudan, it wouldn't matter.

It's un-Constitutional. It's amoral. It's unethical. I say "Screw you" to anyone who tells me what I must or must not purchase with my own money for my own use. Anything else is helping the enemy by allowing him to define the argument, using his own language, and within the context of his choosing.

Those who consider themselves Constitutionalists should not leap at the chance to lock their mindset into an enemy-defined framework.
Come to think of it, if the un-Constitutionality of Obamacare is all that matter, doesn't that mean that it doesn't matter that it's amoral and unethical?
"The Constitutionality of Obamacare is the only thing that matters." "It's un-Constitutional. It's amoral. It's unethical."

Go forth & scream that at the top of your lungs to John Roberts; I am certain he will be all ears.
Still wondering how they got to Roberts.
Yep. Crossed my mind too. His dead cat on his front porch with a little note or maybe they have something on him. Regardless, it's a safe assumption that Roberts, in the process of rendering a decision, got a little "help" from somebody or some group.
Another substantive contribution to the conversation, bobbcat. Your apathy is inspiring.
Everyone who has a broader view of the issues than you do.
As usual, a stellar logical point, Charlie.

I tell ya, if the President (or perhaps Republicans) can just demonstrate with some statistics in a poll that more Americans are insured with the ACA, I guess you'll shut your big yapper on the topic in the future, won't ya?

Maybe you'll even come to 0bama's defense? Would you? I mean, if he could just show that he's done what he promised, are we done thinking?

Boy, oh boy, but I can't wait for those statistics to come out. Then I can shift my brain into neutral and coast into the next elections. Hey, with a 1 in the "W" column, I can vote (D) with a clear conscience.

Right, because tax dollars would never be used to prop up a government program that can't sustain itself through private use. Oh wait - that's the very definition of a government program. Silly me. "Risk corridors" don't mean anything.

I totally forgot that all we have to do is sit back and wait for this thing to collapse under it's own weight. Yep, just sit back and watch the carnage of a failed government program as it goes away on its own.

I promise that I will never reply to one of your posts with simple snark when I disagree with you. You'll always receive a logical point in debate. Don't worry, I won't hold my breath waiting for you to meet the same standard.
You know, I think you're missing a sort of central point here: I didn't actually think that was a substantive point. In fact (see above) it was not only silly, it was self-contradictory.
It's not my fault if you say something dumb and get called on it.
Why be snarky at all? You hardly establish much of a decent standard in here for others to meet. You're a wise guy coming around here just to stir things up. It's not as if you're dwelling in a community that isn't chock full of others who are just as frustrated with things the way they are under Obama et al as you are.
Is the old Greek philosophical argument of "sh|t tastes awful" vs. "sh|t is not nutritious" which eventually derived the classic conclusion of "do not eat sh|t" is actually unknown.
The affordable care act was passed in March of 2010. "Obamacare" didn't start until then. Under that measure, the uninsured rate has dropped a little, however the uninsured rate graph follows the economy more than legal changes (as stated above). More interesting would be extending the graph a few years earlier -- was the uninsured rate rising before 2008, stable, falling?
Since the poll brags about "since he was elected", it's only fair to also examine "since he was inaugurated". That is, unless you want to accept the debt increase and job numbers based on the date he was elected, both of which would make him look worse than he already does.

So 16.4% dropped to 15.6%, or about 800,000 more people insured than 1Q2010. Sounds a heck of a lot less impressive than 7.1 million, doesn't it? If we can add 200,000 people to the insurance rolls every year, it will only take use about 200 more years to insure everyone. Oh, except, they'll all have died by then, especially since drug research is bound to collapse once there's no money in it any more.
Don't forget that only $350 billion of the debt increase ("only") was under Bush -- both the budget increase and the other tranches of the stimulus etc were after O took office.
And it was up to 18 percent in 3Q2013. That's the "9.5 million more" the LA Times was bragging about
It's like the old "we had to destroy the village to save it" concept, eh?
Wasn't Obama inaugurated in January of 2009???
Fixed.
Right in 1.
But... but... but... BUSH!

lol.