The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

February 19, 2014 - 9:24 am

Just read this and weep for our future.

David Wise is at the top of his sport. He’s always smiling among his friends and competitors, however, he’s not like the rest of the field. He is mature.

Not to say the rest of the freestyle skiers of halfpipe are not mature, but Wise is mature far beyond his years. At only twenty-three years old, he has a wife, Alexander, who was waiting patiently in the crowd, and together they have a two-year-old daughter waiting for them to return to their home in Reno, Nevada.

At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult.

Well, at 23, he is an adult. He has been an adult for five years. He is old enough to have graduated from college, gotten married, started a family, become a world class skier — all kinds of adult things. Because he is an adult. He also sounds like a great guy.

He wears a Baby Bjorn baby carrier around the house. He also attends church regularly and says he could see himself becoming a pastor a little later down the road.

I’ll grant that in our day, when Christian business owners find their livelihoods threatened by Obamacare mandates and same-sex marriage proponents targeting them with lawsuits, being a Christian is a countercultural path. The culture and the media try their hand at tearing you apart, when they’re not mocking you.

But if being a married, responsible father at 23 is an “alternative lifestyle” then we are well and truly doomed.

nbc-alternativelifestyle

Update: NBC has deep-sixed its own story. Click on the link above, and now you’ll get this instead of the story.

nbc-pagenotfound

I’m sure they’re thrilled that we captured a screenshot of the original story.

Update: This story is such a train wreck for NBC. Note in the excerpts above that NBC names David Wise’s wife as “Alexander.” Her actual name is Alexandra.

Update: NBC aren’t the only ones who have gone after David Wise for being a married adult taking care of his family. Yahoo Sports says he is “wildy uncool.”

yahoo-wise

Update: NBC’s article is back up, here, complete with the poor spelling of Mrs. Wise’s first name.

Update: Sign. The last time I checked, 23-year-olds are adults. They can drink and everything.

If you take both the NBC and Yahoo treatments together, Wise’s perfectly sane and ordinary life is cast as “alternative” and “wildly uncool” in the most important part of the stories — the headlines. I see this as media elites once again reporting on flyover types as if they’re anthropologists studying some mystifying lost tribe. I guess some disagree.

The Wises married a bit younger than I'd usually recommend. Otherwise we have the story of a dedicated athlete who is also a rounded individual, whose life consists of more than the sport and the glory and hedonism that may go with it.
When I see an athlete who has fallen short proclaim that life is over, I am saddened. When I see one claim a medal and say that life is complete, I'm saddened also. Same with "American Idol."
That's Wise's real alternative lifestyle: one who lives successfully and sport is only one part of it.
I wouldn't worry much, since anybody who would characterize Nazi Germany as a Christian nation obviously doesn't know lunch from din-din. But whenever anyone plays the "Christian mass murder" card, you can always call and raise with Lenin, Stalin, Mao and Kim and take the pot.
I do this very, VERY rarely:

"Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter."

Isaiah 5:20
Oddly enough, I think the Yahoo article was tongue in cheek and actually good reporting. They seemed to poke fun at those who would think David is uncool because he acts in a mature manner. They very objectively called out that members of that sport are different than David.

They then went on to specifically state that marketers are unwise for not highlighting people like David Wise because they might think them "uncool".

I couldn't bear to read the NBC article....That one starts off on a bad note and goes worse, just like the network. I think they did actually believe David was married to an "Alexander" and could promote their political agenda. They couldn't wait, then couldn't figure out what to do when they were wrong.
I can see this family in a Hallmark ad, a baby products ad, a real estate ad, a sporting goods ad, a minivan ad, a family style restaurant ad...to name a few. What kind of narrow mined marketers are they referring to? So sad they being a "responsible adult" is "uncool"!!
The 1/2 pipe is a tough event. Very, very impressed.
I read the article on Yahoo Sports early this morning (best place to get your Olympic info, btw). I am SO impressed with David Wise. What a great kid! I'm happy for him getting gold, happy for his having direction in his life, happy for his wife and little girl.
What's not to love?
I'm 50. My son is 29. I got married my junior year of college to a girl I was with since she was barely 17. That was '85. We lived an alternative lifestyle, and although moral, it was not "Christian." Stretching childhood to 26 is one way to assure that the native born population will not replace itself. People who wait until they're "ready" never are.
So encourage your kids to marry and reproduce. You know what, the illegal immigrants do. Who do you want taking care of you in your old age?
Howdy emsr
You're right that almost all of us have to marry and have children before we're ready. Almost no one ever really is -- we have to finish getting ready after the event.
Right on the money MT. No one is prepared to be a parent until they ARE one...
It is the event that gets us ready for the "after bits".
My paternal grandfather was in his 50's, as I recall, when, as a widower, he married his second wife more than 30 years his junior. Back in the "golden age" that the SoComs always laud you could easily stay chaste until marriage as that would often happen when the guy was in his late teens or early 20's, and the girl 3-5 years younger. Today he'd be in jail for statutory rape.

Men used to go to school until grade 8 and then begin in the factories. My 75 year old mother's three brothers did this in the furniture factories of southern Indiana. That's about 14 folks...average life expectancy was 63 for men who made it to that point which is why retirement age is 65 on the original social security law.

There is no "natural" in these sort of cultural terms. "Natural" is for men to begin intense sexual competition for women starting at 13-16 depending on nutrition. If it is good they start looking for mates when they hit sexual maturity at 13 or so, and will be successful, if they ever are within 1-5 years. Women have a one in twelve chance of dying with each pregnancy, and most successful males have a secondary wife or concubine.

That's real "traditional family values".

Things change. This guy is as much an anomaly in twenty years as a girl marrying her boyfriend at 15 when he is 18 and has just gotten promoted to line supervisor after four years seniority is today. He is a rarity today. Adolescence is extending due to the necessity to be more educated and the luxury of insane levels of wealth. Our poor are better off than the kings of old.

The news just stated a fact. Unfortunately, given neurochemistry, which states that neither of their brains are fully baked until 26, and the total lack of familial support for marriage at this age, the lack of arraigned marriage, which can pick successfully for an adolescent or young adult, nor any consequence for divorce, statistics say these kids are from a broken home in five years or so.

Still, best to them and I really hope they make it. History shows that people have been married a lot younger and done well...of course their mothers probably made the match...but that isn't as "romantic".
wow doing what is natural is now looked at as so strange. Guess so many like living in their parent's basements and being a dependent sniviling child for their lives.
I've said it for about a year now; conservatives/liberty types are the new counter culture. This kinda confirms it.
I wish it felt more rebellious to have married at 21 to a man who was 24 and still be married to him all these years later ...

Now, we just need to find a way to make it edgy, cool again.
It's true: my grampa is now officially a hippie.
I don't understand the criticism here. Clearly "wildly uncool" is meant as a *compliment*, and the other article credits his marriage and maturity partially for his success. What's the problem?
"Wildly uncool" IS a "compliment", in the same context as Shawn White (& others) referring to something good/cool as "sick". This Olympics just exposed us (older folks) to the current slang that's all.
The problem, Skeptical, is that an adult of 23 who acts like an adult is now considered strange. Think for a few moments of everything that implies about Western culture today.
Revealing semantics.
The interesting thing about Wise is that nothing clicked UNTIL he became a father. His 2-year-old daughter, Nayeli, changed his athletic performance as well as his life.

Washington Post sports columnist, Mike Wise (2nd cousin to David Wise), wrote his second column about him, including this bit:

Aissam “Ice” Dabbaoui, his Venice-based agent who represents action-sports stars, said he always felt my cousin was on the cusp. “He had all these great skills but he couldn’t land,” he said. “He would have trouble at the big events. Then, after Nayeli came, he landed everything. He won almost everything.”

1 2 Next View All