The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

February 11, 2014 - 12:14 pm

Kids of a certain age remember ads for Amazing Live Sea Monkeys. They ran in the backs of comic books. The ads promised that Amazing Live Sea Monkeys would hatch, grow, and become your friends.

sea-monkeys

Amazing Live Sea Monkeys were supposed to be so amazing that they even had their own Saturday morning show.

YouTube Preview Image

And a video game.

Amazing-Virtual-Sea-Monkeys-PlayStation-_

When Barack Obama burst into American politics, he promised to be a different kind of politician. He promised Hope. And Change.

obama-noddin

The media were smitten.

3-loki-tom-hiddleston

Hollywood couldn’t get enough of him.

Jean-Luc-Picard-Sings-And-Dances

Despite their skepticism of the young, inexperienced senator, many Americans fell in love too.

like-the-way-i-feel

Miracle-on-34th-Natalie-Wood-I-believe-animated-gif

blonde-bride-wars-gif-kate-hudson-movie-Favim.com-374640

And he was elected President of the United States. Twice.

obama-dancing-o

I like your confidence in the nation that voted for Obama twice, and for the party that put Nancy Pelosi in the Speaker's chair. I like your confidence in our wising up and doing the opposite now.

I like your confidence.

I wish I shared it.
This is the guy who decided to blow up everybody's healthcare coverage for the sake of mandating total dependance on the Federal Government. No one will stop this atrocity and we are now doomed as a free country.
I bought Sea Monkeys once when I was a kid. I ended up feeding them to my guppies and gold fish when I found out they didn't dance and build sea castles. It did make the guppies and gold fish happy.

I learned to recognize a 'load' when I heard or read it which greatly aided me in life - I avoided buying into a load of crap after that. Which may account for my not voting for Obama - twice. Too bad we can't feed this 'load' to something...

I'm still trying to figure out when I missed the class at school that taught me (demanded, under penalty of law) that I have to like every person of a different race regardless of their politics, creed, personal beliefs! At least for awhile I hope it is OK to not like a member of my race for my own reasons.
Look at the feces-ingesting grin on Papa Sea Monkey. The difference between him and Barack I is that the sea monkey didn't hide that it tickled the hell out of him that he put a world-class screwing on you.
I'm not a big fan of Obamacare, or Obama for that matter. And I think it is unfortunate that someone, somewhere, will call almost any criticism of Obama racist.

That said, you are either intentionally using racist tropes to bait a response or you are awfully tone-deaf.

I try (and often fail, when talking to people I disagree with, but that doesn't apply here) to assume good faith. In that spirit I am going to explain why I think people might see racial overtones in your otherwise witty slideshow.

There are a lot of analogies that might evoke, in some way, racism, and if they were all out of bounds we would barely have room for discourse. I think your Sea-Monkey analogy is not a bad one, and if someone found racial overtones in that analogy by itself I would be the first to scoff.

But you follow this with a lot of images that might, by themselves, be seen as as innocent as your Sea-Monkey analogy, but that taken together seem to have a certain thrust.

The first image is Obama smiling broadly and nodding in a fashion that evokes Stepin Fetchit. And sure, this is a real image of Obama doing something Obama did. The question is, why single out this slice of his persona?

Moving down a bit we have Captain Picard performing a song and dance routine. OK, that's perfectly innocent absent context, but in context I am starting to wonder if this is an article about policy.

A little later we find Obama performing a bit of dance himself. And sure, he did that. But again- why is this what winds up in your satirical photo-essay? This just makes the above Picardigans more suspicious.

Then we have a picture of a family of Sea Monkeys followed immediately by an image of a woman who clearly has a racial background similar to Obama's dressed in undersea garb similar to that of the Sea-Monkeys. The caption for this photo is... well, in context it is, to put it mildly, unfortunate.

I could go on, but I won't. I think my point is established now. I'd like to think that you stumbled upon this combination of images innocently. The thing is that even if you did you have made my life a little harder by publishing this.

I am not in favor of the PPACA. I think it is an enormously destructive piece of legislation. I am not very fond of Barack Obama. I think he is one of the worst Presidents in modern history.

I live in perhaps the most liberal of liberal enclaves in the US, and I am generally pretty quiet about politics. Every once in a while I will gently challenge someone, despite the fact that doing so is going to mark me, forever, in everyone present's minds as an irredeemable racist.

When you write overtly racist stuff you don't do me a lot of favors in this regard. And this photo-essay is pretty damned overt.

Here, lets help....this article is about marketing and getting ripped off.
If you wish, we will compare Obama marketing to the Pet Rock marketing...but I really would rather see that compared to Hillary and Pelosi.
"I could go on, but I won't. I think my point is established now."

First, thank you for not going on. It gets terribly boring to see a person trying to force racist intent into pictures where it obviously has no place. Especially since we've been treated to that particular 'theme and variations' for five years now, and there's precious few variations left that haven't been done to death.

And yes, you've made your point. You're so exquisitely attuned to racism that you're able to see it anywhere you look for it. It takes a real champion of colorblind justice to read racism in something like Jean-Luc Picard. I commend you!
You're not post-racist until you're tone-deaf about that which might sound racist, Tagore Smith.

Think about it.
You might be right- there might come a time when black and white people will sit down together and watch, say, 'Birth of a Nation' and laugh at it the way stoners laugh at 'Reefer Madness' now.

That's not the case at the moment though, and to be perfectly honest it is hard for me to imagine this photo-essay existing in your post-racist utopia. You don't wind up juxtaposing these images and these captions entirely accidentally, though I suppose you might do so unconsciously if you were very, very tone-deaf.

Think about it.
I'm not going to bother refuting you line-by-line. There's no point, as you are shifty in how you posit good faith only to destroy it in your own mind. This was a fun piece intended to point out just how disappointing Obama is and how dishonestly he, as a product, has been marketed. If you see racism in that, that is your problem and I hope you find a solution for it.
Sea Monkeys are actually kind of fun for the money, once your expectations are lowered.

There's no basement deep enough, in Obama's case.
Obamacare Is NOT killing Jobs.
They've made it Illegal to say so, and the Media will obligingly state that since no one is saying so it ain't so.
"Now Obamacare is costing millions their healthcare and killing jobs."

And people.
It will be stopped, but it will get ugly. The left has left us no choice.
Pain now, yes. But think about that glorious moment when is O standing on the steps of Congress on Inauguration Day 2017, watching the new president, a conservative bent on undoing all the harm O-care has inflicted on millions of Americans, being sworn in amid a sea of new Republican senators and Congressman that came in back in good ole 2014. But it could be that O-care is already a dead issue by then and O is left with nothing but the little thought that has been warming the cockles of his leftist heart for some time now: ‘Mission accomplished, Mon amore.’

From your lips to God's ears.

I like your confidence.

I wish I shared it.
Oh...this would be the second time in about as many days that I'd have had a comment yanked if I let fly. Watched this on 'silent' mode.

Too good. Hilarious. Needed.

Thanks!
The 7 dollar 7 ft. submarine.
1 2 Next View All