The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

January 31, 2014 - 2:42 pm

Earlier this week MSNBC set a new low when it used a cute Cheerios commercial to attack conservatives. The religious broadcast channel deleted the offending tweet and says it sacked the person responsible, but the damage was done. Well, a little more damage was done. The fact is, MSNBC has been damaging itself for years and is now the least trusted name in news. Given the profession we’re talking about, that’s quite an accomplishment. It’s like being the fastest ambulance-chasing lawyer or the most despicable drug dealer.

MSNBC’s tweet claimed that right-wingers would be offended by the Cheerios commercial because it depicted a mixed-race family. As a right-wing guttersnipe and part of a mixed-race family myself, I wondered why MSNBC never bothered to ask me about it. I’m not hard to find. Shoot me an email. Hit me up on Twitter.

Well, Jim Lindgren got to wondering what the stats on mixed-race families and politics are. MSNBC should have asked him. What he found parallels with MSNBC’s own recent hiring standards, back when the network featured an all-white on-air lineup.

The General Social Survey, which is the best-run of the omnibus surveys (getting about a 70 percent response rate as opposed to a 1-25 percent response for more typical opinion polls) has data on family makeup.  I was able to analyze their 2000 through 2012 data on 723 households in which any family members were adopted children or step-children of the head of the household or of the spouse of the respondent.  For almost all of these households, the GSS reports both political views and whether the household is mixed race, as opposed to a white household, an African-American household, or whatever.

Not surprisingly, there is no statistically significant left-right political differences in the proportion of adopted or step-families that are in mixed race households.  Indeed, among families with step-children or adopted children, 11 percent of conservatives were living in mixed race households compared to 10 percent of liberals living in mixed-race households.

Similarly, 9.4 percent of Republicans living in step- or adopted families were in mixed-race households, compared to only 8.8 percent of Democrats in such families. (Again, this small advantage for Republicans is not large enough to be statistically significant).

Read more over at the Volokh Conspiracy. Minds must be exploding in the comments section. Lindgren found that however he looked at the issue, there was no statistically significant difference, but to the extent that the difference was measurable, it tilted to the right.

Lindgren’s closing is worth reprinting here.

As Matt Welch suggests at Reason, when some in the press think they are attacking bigotry, they are instead spreading it themselves.

Spreading bigotry seems to be MSNBC’s reason to exist.

They’ll pop off again soon enough, apologize, and fire somebody. Rinse. Repeat.

Just Breaking -

Jim Watoken, MSNBC Director of Apologies, said today that MSNBC was offering three more apologies today, one to Sarah Palin (again), one to the Heritage Foundation, and one to conservatives in general. The first apology was for next Monday's broadcast, the second was for next Thursday's, and the third was for particularly vicious attacks on conservatives that have been produced, but are not yet on the schedule to offend and horrify the nation just yet. MSNBC says these comments, when eventually broadcast, "will not represent the high standards we expect from our news team", and that MSNBC will be "addressing personel issues" with the employees who will be saying them next week. The Heritage Foundation announced that they "regret that MSNBC will be stooping this low yet again", but that they "appreciate the apology offered, and look forward to actually seeing just how vile the broadcasts will be" when they happen. The Palin camp has said they will wait to see which of Palin's children is actually slandered and subjected to verbal sexual abuse before responding to MSNBC's latest apology.

Watoken added that there would likely be some additional mid-February apologies that would be offered for their upcoming Spring schedule.
The data confirms my own anecdotal experiences: from a liberal standpoint, there are a surprisingly high number of self-identifying conservatives who are in mixed-race families. From my own perspective, there's nothing surprising about it, since the relentless profiling of conservatives as racists is garbage.

Now that there is some hard data to suggest an equality in this matter, look for liberals to sweep it under the rug or invoke "some of my best friends are..." rhetoric.

In truth it's a devastating blow to the liberal ego, which is why it should be thrown in their own racist faces as much as possible. I'll say this again, because it bears repeating. Blatant racism is not only orthodoxy among liberals and the Dem Party, it is institutionalized, into and out of law.

As far as I can tell, nearly 100% of mainstream cultural organizations self-segregating by race are on the political Left: web sites, artistic awards, literary anthologies, etc. The sheer number is staggering.

The fact MSNBC employs two bitter and out and out racists like Sharpton and Perry is a disgrace to America. They should each be fired. They should never have been hired in the first place.
The subject of race and marketing would make an interesting book - or at least a longer essay here at PJM. I confess that I am sensitive to depictions of race in television commercials (when I bother to pay attention to them, anyway). Why, I don't know. Possibly I've picked up some race-sensitivity from the culture at large.

All I know is, the casting, scripts, music, and narration in TV commercials are never accidental. You'll never see a multi-racial family depicted in a commercial because, hey, that's just how America looks these days. Somebody put those people together for a reason.

So what does that mean? Are they marketing to the burgeoning number of multi-racial families out there? Are they marketing to white, liberal hipsters who are supposed to think"Gosh, General Mills must be really enlightened and socially progressive! For this reason, I will buy Cheerios next time I go shopping." Or are they just marketing to everyone because different colored people like to buy cereal?

Another example: a commercial about a college savings plan. White family and black family having a friendly discussion about saving for their kids' education. Stupid white people haven't done anything to plan ahead. Smart black family are all set because they use the advertised plan.

So what does that mean? Are they marketing to black people who want to feel smarter than white people? Or to white people who don't want to feel dumber than black people? Or both to white and to black people because darn it, saving for college is a pretty good idea?

I don't think I'm racist because I notice these things. I think I'm cynical because I notice the stupid tricks marketers use to try and sell me stuff. They want me to get hip, to jump on the bandwagon, to get jealous, to be afraid, etc. And I can't because I'm too cynical.

Now, I have to go buy some Axe and one of those cars like those cool hamsters drive. If I'm lucky, I'll get some action tonight.
They’ll pop off again soon enough, apologize, and fire somebody. Rinse. Repeat.

At this rate, they'll soon have no employees left!
I notice race and gender in commercials, ever since I became aware that all the foils are depicted as white men. It is said they don't complain... .
Am I misremembering or didn't O' Reilly have a somewhat critical response to the Cherios ads a few months ago, but is now blasting MSNBC for their sneer?
MSNBC is the new kkk.
I almost forgot. the racism smear has this twist to it, Obama is the guy who attended a wholly racist, hate filled church. And lied about it of course. This of course doesn't deter leftist loons from calling people racist. But then what else do they have?
20 years in a racist cult and he skates cuz he's black. Sharpton and Perry are nothing more than black David Dukes. Can you have the idiotic David Duke host a show? No you can not, and good thing. But you can have Sharpton and Perry. They skate cuz they're black, and not for one single other reason. Liberals are blinded by skin even while they running around calling people who really don't care about skin racists.
They are not blinded. They are the plantation masters and everything they do or say is geared towards keeping the plantations profitable vote producers. Every false accusation of racism is, to them, a little investment in the plantation.

Remember:

All they do is lie, lie lie.

Look at what the capitalized letters in the following word spell:

LIbEralS

(Hint: the uncapitalized letters are 'b', 'r', 'a', and 'l').
It doesn't help an already damaged mind that five years of Obama have led to nothing good, rather it has led only to downright bad, at home and abroad. By plan of course. Their genetic aggression combined with titanic failure doesn't do their disturbed minds any good.
The action taken and the pretty little comments of that networks president were funny though, like he didn't know what he had on his hands. Slime. like all the rest.
The person responsible for the tweet was fired, and no doubt has now been hired as head of PR for MediaMatters, Organizing for America or some other "non-partisan", "public interest" "non-profit" 501c with a salary 10X what MSNBC paid him/her. The leftlings take care of their own, while the right abandons theirs.
He or she will likely replace Jay Carney in due course ;-)
LOL. . . you used the words "evidence" and "Progressive Mind" in the same title. . . now THAT's FUNNY!
The hallmark of the "progressive mind" (cough) is suffocating allegiance to a fixed body of belief.

You can't end the closure of something that, by definition, can never be open.

It's not about whether conservatives are racist or would be offended by mixed race families- it's about reinforcing the notion in the minds of people whose opinions are based on a diet of restricted facts. They vote in numbers and are somehow given the voice to express support for policies sold as repressing and marginalizing the straw man racism being promoted by the likes of not only MSNBC but also by mainstream media in general.

Facts are irrelevant when a consensus can be engineered.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “New Evidence that Should End the Race-Based Epistemic Closure of the Progressive Mind”