The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

January 29, 2014 - 6:45 am
YouTube Preview Image

A New York congressman is in the hot seat this morning for threatening a television reporter on air in the Capitol rotunda after he was asked about a federal investigation into his campaign finances.

Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.) was being interviewed by NY1 political reporter Michael Scotto after the State of the Union address when Scotto tried to ask the congressman about the ongoing investigation. One of Grimm’s fundraisers, Diana Durand, was arrested by the FBI this month and is accused of using straw donors to pump more than $10,000 into Grimm’s 2010 campaign. Through his attorney, Grimm has denied any wrongdoing.

“And just finally before we let you go, we haven’t had a chance to talk about some of the…” Scotto asked at the end of the interview before Grimm cut him off, saying he would only talk on the topic of President Obama’s speech.

Grimm walked off;  Scotto then turned back to the camera and said, “So Congressman Michael Grimm does not want to talk about some of the allegations concerning his campaign finances…”

The congressman came back and told Scotto in a low voice, still audible on camera, “Let me be clear to you, you ever do that to me again I’ll throw you off this f—–g balcony.”

The reporter asked why Grimm would say that since he asked a valid question.

“No, no, you’re not man enough, you’re not man enough. I’ll break you in half. Like a boy,” Grimm said.

The congressman said in a statement afterward he was “extremely annoyed because I was doing NY1 a favor by rushing to do their interview first in lieu of several other requests.”

“The reporter knew that I was in a hurry and was only there to comment on the State of the Union, but insisted on taking a disrespectful and cheap shot at the end of the interview, because I did not have time to speak off-topic. I verbally took the reporter to task and told him off, because I expect a certain level of professionalism and respect, especially when I go out of my way to do that reporter a favor,” Grimm continued. “I doubt that I am the first Member of Congress to tell off a reporter, and I am sure I won’t be the last.”

Related:

Wasserman Schultz: GOP Congressman’s Threats Will Help Voters ‘Make the Right Choice’

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot dude! But I got to thinking about this incident. Don't you wonder how many times some democrat did something similar - and you never heard about it?

I bet this reporter damned near broke his neck getting this out to everyone.

"I verbally took the reporter to task and told him off, because I expect a certain level of professionalism and respect,..."

No, what the Congressman did, on camera, was commit the crime of Threatening to murder, or inflict great bodily injury to, the reporter. Of course, being a Congressman, nothing will happen.
"I STOMP YOU, AND THEN TEAR OUT TROAT, THEN OFF YOU GO, OVER BALCONY. HAHAHAHA."
This is what happens when people vote and support people who will betray all of U.S. in a split second. Orders over oath every time. Does anybody remember the NAZI'S, and their S.S.? Grimm is Secret Service. Here's everybody's sign!

Secret Service Interrogates 7th Grader For Facebook Post, Without Parental Consent

Maybe this guy should consider running as a Dem like Clay Aiken. He'd fit in better. Where on earth do we find these guys?
Why is this guy getting crap, while Obozo's, Valerie Jarret's, Joe Biden's and Hillary Clinton's (and many other Democrat's and Leftist organizations) very open threats to their enemies are given a pass?
It's because he's a Republican.

But that doesn't give him a license to be stupid, or break the law. I'd expect him to be in trouble regardless of Party. Only, if he was a Democrat, he probably wouldn't be.
I'm a conservative Republican and this guy has serious anger management issues. He should not be a Congressman with that kind of hair trigger temper.

I bet this reporter damned near broke his neck getting this out to everyone.

Don't worry about it.

Fox News is sure to call Grimm a Democrat after this.
Translated from New York to Midwest language

"That's unfair and you know it"

To Califorinian

"Dude, what's up with the cheap shot thing"

To Obamese

"Get the IRS to file something on this guy, the NSA to spy on him and the FBI and DOJ to file charges, handcuff him, perp walk him and blame the next al Qaeda uprising on him.
DWS: Threats will help voters make the right choice? Manslaughter didn't help Massachusetts voters make the right choice -- but of course that was a Kennedy.
Rep. Grimm behaved badly and his voters should consider that -- but I hope in the primary.
Grimm sounds like my ex husband. I'm only half joking...
I thought this was a great response.

1. By getting seriously hyper defensive, Grimm is showing he's guilty as sin.

2. BY getting stupid macho about it, He shows that all but one of his muscles are working properly, and boy is he overcompensating for the one that isn't.

3. If he runs again he will probably lose votes in Brooklyn which will do wonders for Brooklyn's reputation.

I'd bet that Grimm won't be running again. He will probably step down to devote more time to beating his wife and children.
Hey, New Yorkers have voted in guys like Charlie Rangel for years. They can't be too concerned with their reputation.
Yeah, but he's a Dem, so it's okay.
True.
Perhaps the reporter should bring along Officer Ramos of California next time he tries to ask a simple question of Congressman Grimm. The police officer would be out of his jurisdiction -- and possibly off meds -- but well equipped to handle the Congressman.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “N.Y. Congressman Tells Capitol Reporter ‘I’ll Break You in Half’”