The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

December 20, 2013 - 11:18 am

Breitbart’s on the story.

On Friday, sources close to the Duck Dynasty Robertson family told E! Online that the family was “very serious” about ending the show if Phil Robertson’s suspension stood. The source said, “They’re an extremely tight-knit family and they’re not going to let this get in the way. [Phil] is the reason for their success – they’re not going to abandon him. They’re also not about to let anyone threaten their religious beliefs.” Another insider at Duck Dynasty told E!, “People who work on the show feel like it’s a big pissing match and there is no way that anyone can win.”

A&E may be the dumbest, luckiest cable network around. They created a monster hit show despite themselves, they’re killing it by kowtowing to militant extremists instead of championing the freedom that allows them to broadcast their shows, and they may have already lined up its replacement — which is almost surely set up to fail.

A&E may have already lined up what it thinks will be Duck Dynasty’s replacement. The Robertsons have publicly said that DD’s producers tried to get them to behave like a typical “reality show” family — swear, bicker, act off against one another, have conflict, etc. The Robertsons refused, because that’s not who they are. The producers also tried cutting the family prayer at the end of each show. The Robertsons refused, because for them, the prayer is a major purpose and source of their fame.

Now, look at the show that started following DD this season. It’s called Rodeo Girls. A&E has been heavily promoting it during DD for weeks now. I caught about half of the pilot episode, and it’s terrible. The women on the show are rodeo competitors. They’re “rednecks” like the Robertsons. But they’re not like the Robertsons in the important ways. Where the Robertsons are self-deprecating and funny, the Rodeo Girls are mean and vile. They swear, a lot. They bicker. They’re self-absorbed and obnoxious. There are no prayers but they do throw the name of God around a lot — not in a good way. It’s Jersey Shore on horseback, without any charm whatsoever. Perhaps I’ll watch an episode and review just how awful the show is.

A&E may hope the Robertsons become divided. Phil’s granddaughter, Sadie, tweeted that that’s not happening.

A&E might do well to note that people like me have hours of Duck Dynasty stored on our DVRs. We can watch them in glorious HD whenever we want. Personally, there will never be one frame of Rodeo Girls on that DVR, ever. The shows share superficial similarities and there may be some crossover in the audience, but they’re not the same. There’s only one Duck Dynasty.

I posted this elsewhere ....

I believe that A&E is profoundly embarrassed by the success of Duck Dynasty. It is my opinion that A&E initially believed that Duck Dynasty would succeed because they thought it would appeal to the lets-laugh-at-the-stupid-rednecks demographic. I believe A&E is dumbfounded not only by the magnitude of Duck Dynasty's success but by WHY it has succeeded. It is my belief that A&E never expected viewers to LIKE these people ... To take them seriously. They were supposed to be buffoons not heros.

If it were otherwise I am CERTAIN that A&E would have had a graphic disavowing anything said on the show. "A&E presents Duck Dynasty but does not support or advocate ......"

So now they have a giant hit show ....buy they don't know why. It's enormously popular.... But for the wrong reasons. And I think they are afraid that the entertainment elite might begin to suspect that A&E is off the liberal reservation.

That is why they acted precipitously - even before there were complaints. Making money is fine. But for A&E, appearing to support anyone who espouses religious/conservative principles takes precedence over even profit. So to preserve A&E's liberal street cred, Phil Robertson had to go to.

I didn't watch at first because the promos made it seem that A&E was airing another version of Honey BooBoo let's all laugh at the dumb rednecks. It seems they got ambushed by the Robertson's refusal to sell out for a shot at fame. A&E ended up instead with a beards and camo reality version of the Walton family and I suspect that rather embarrasses some of the creative people involved as the audience was supposed to be laughing at this family, not with them.
I've noticed all the reports are ignoring perhaps the most important comment Robertson made:

"Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."

People take offense where none is intended, and then project feelings and attitudes on folks that just aren't true.
This is a ploy by A&E to boost ratings for the upcoming DD marathon. They said that Phil is only on a "time-out" until Jan or Feb. What really needs to happen but I am afraid it can't is for the family to get an injunction against the airing of their faces and shut down the marathon. That WOULD send a message to the right places.
Wow. Your relatives are rich enough to tell a national network to jump off a cliff and leave them alone because of their religious beliefs? Lucky you. I hope you get something really good from them for Christmas, since they must also be terribly generous.
Your point is...?
The United States is still a mainly-Christian nation, and the largest portion of its population are made up of those who "cling to their Bibles and their guns" -- in other words, stay true to the basis upon which this nation was founded. It isn't by happenstance that the first of the freedoms mentioned in the First Amendment is the admonition that the government will "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". Someone needs to remind them about that second part -- the prohibition of laws against the free exercise of religious beliefs. The left, as usual, has tried to take the words and change the meaning. They believe the First Amendment guarantees their freedom FROM religion. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our founding fathers never intended that religion should be restricted, and the First Amendment declares that all such restrictions are unconstitutional.

I think the United States is on the verge of a religious awakening not seen since the early nineteenth century. I feel we are ready for a revival of religious freedom, and the free and open expression of religion that the First Amendment guarantees. Anyone who wishes to try to stifle that awakening will be overwhelmed by the tsunami of belief. The left mocks God and believers such as Phil Robertson. God will NOT be mocked.
I have never watched DD and never will...just not my taste at all, BUT I have signed two petitions protesting A&E's action and written an email informing them I will be blocking not only that channel, but also History, Military History, and all the other channels in their network. I urge others to go and do likewise. I also suggest informing your dishonor cable providers of your actions.
I have no idea why it's a hit either. I wouldn't watch it on a bet. I thought the first time I saw the cast it was a send-up of ZZ Top. The show will land on its feet with some other network that worships reality shows, like Bravo or the Cooking Channel.

But really, who cares? The guy is a millionaire. He ain't hurtin'.
The *only* reason someone would post an "I've never watched it" so I have no idea what I'm talking about, and a "who cares?" comment is to prove their own moral superiority. Since all you're doing is demonstrating your lazy ignorance in black and white writing, I can't understand why you would ever think that you're superior to anything or anyone. Or have anything at all relevant to contribute to a discussion among people who *have* watched it and who obviously *do* care enough to post. In the future ... just don't.
I hear that A&E is making Ethan Krupp an offer for "Douchebag Dynasty"
Hope they move to The Blaze network and do what they want.
Move it to Fox and complete my joy.
Rodeo Girls--slutty girls abusing their horses.
"We kinda like it."
--The Horses
Just say "Neigh!"

Yoelarry
It's time for the secular-leftists to finally come all the way out
Of the closet: declare the Bible, New and
Old Testaments, to be 'hate speech'. Maybe
Get Att. General Holder to begin revocation of
Of religious exemptions from all Judeo-Christian
Organizations. Maybe charge them all with
Being accessories to violating the civil rights
Of homosexuals. Yeah, that's the ticket. And
While they're at it how about the President declaring
that henceforth only the Koran will be used
For 'swearing in' ceremonies, What the heck,
Obama...why not go all out and declare America
An Islamic State? Hey, then declare the War
On Terrorism ( aka 'man made disasters') to
Be officially over. You'll be a hero, O. Yah, then go on Haj to Mecca
And seal the deal. C'mon Obama...You
Know you wanna!
1 2 3 Next View All

One Trackback to “Family Sources: Duck Dynasty Is Likely to Be Canceled”