The PJ Tatler

Stephen Kruiser

December 17, 2013 - 10:35 pm

Not-so-feel-good-story.

Three studies published Monday add to multivitamins’ bad rap. One review found no benefit in preventing early death, heart disease or cancer. Another found that taking multivitamins did nothing to stave off cognitive decline with aging. A third found that high-dose multivitamins didn’t help people who had had one heart attack avoid another.

“Enough is enough,” declares an editorial accompanying the studies in Annals of Internal Medicine. “Stop wasting money on vitamin and mineral supplements.”

But enough is not enough for the American public. We spend $28 billion a year on vitamin supplements and are projected to spend more. About 40 percent of Americans take multivitamins, the editorial says.

I am a guilty multivitamin consumer despite the fact that I’ve been hearing from medical professionals for years that it probably isn’t doing me any good. I have also heard the same thing from many of my friends who are a big more holistic in their approaches to health.

Maybe it’s time I start listening.

Stephen Kruiser is a professional comedian and writer who has also been a conservative political activist for over two decades. A co-founder of the first Los Angeles Tea Party, Kruiser often speaks to grassroots groups around America and has had the great honor of traveling around the world entertaining U.S. troops.

SUPPLEMENTS ARE MY LIFELINE TO HEALTH?

IS THIS ANOTHER RIGHT TO BE TAKEN AWAY FROM AMERICANS BY THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION?

Are the Mega-German drug companies trying to force the insidious CODEX as they have in Europe? It’s a Bunch of ball. I have been taking supplement since I was 17, when there was a promotion in Hawaii. Just turned 70 and never had a sick day in my life; no flu or common cold. Just one elective surgery to remove a fatty cyst. My suspicion is the pharmaceutical companies and doctors are not making enough profits with their medications. My daily intake of natural organic liquid supplements and herbs has saved me a fortune and years of sicknesses. Remember drugs cover up the illness, usually doesn't cure the problem? Tell the American College of Physicians they can stick there report, where the sun doesn’t shine.
way back in the 70s, when i was in med school, i remember the statement being made by a professor that all a multi-vitamin did was give you very expensive urine. for the standard, everyday supplement, i have never seen a better synopsis.
I don't take a multi to avoid early death, heart disease, cancer, cognitive decline or a second heart attack. It would seem preposterous to do so. The idea of a daily multi is to cover some of the major bases for the days you don't eat a fully balanced diet, so that you're slightly healthier. That's all.
I agree totally. The report makes it sound like multi-vitamins are completely useless. I believe that they have their place with people like me. I have a weight problem linked directly to an eating problem, though mine is the opposite of most. I struggle to keep my weight up to a healthy level. Though I try to get at least 2000 calories each day, often I only take in around 500. Eating so little, I know that I am getting no where near the levels of vitamins that I need. These supplements stave off some of the ill effects while I struggle to get my eating habits back in order.
So, because it doesn't stave off heart attacks, strokes, cancer or Alzheimers we're just going to dismiss them out-of-hand? Do they make us feel better? Do they make us healthier in some other way? Keep our immune system stronger? Help us fight off some other illnesses like colds and the flu? And if they don't help us, do they hurt us?