The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

December 11, 2013 - 8:24 am

Flanked by supportive members of House leadership, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) made his case to the GOP caucus this morning for passage of the budget agreement forged with Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.).

“What this budget agreement does is it helps produce more certainty because it stops a potential government shutdown in January and it stops a potential government shutdown in October. We think that’s good for the country,” Ryan told reporters outside the meeting.

“At the same time, we wanted to make sure that we were taking a step in the right direction for fiscal discipline. Look, our budget that we passed here in the House, the Republican budget, represents our ultimate goal and our ultimate vision — balance the budget, pay off the debt. But we understand in this divided government, we’re not going to get everything we want,” he added. “And so what we want to do is take a step toward that goal, a step in the direction toward that vision. And by having a budget agreement that does not raise taxes, that does reduce the deficit and produces some certainty and prevents government shutdowns, we think is a good agreement.”

“It’s also an agreement that gives Congress the power of the purse back. For three years, we keep passing these continuing resolutions which basically is Congress ceding its authority to the executive branch so they set the priorities. That is not right. That’s not constitutional.”

Ryan said he feels “very good” about his GOP colleagues’ reaction to the bill.

“We know that this budget agreement doesn’t come close to achieving what we want to achieve on our ultimate fiscal goals. But again, if we can get a step in the right direction, we’re going to take that step, and that’s why we’re doing this,” he said.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said that the provision Democrats wanted but was left out of the bill — an extension of unemployment insurance — still might come to the floor, but not in any current version.

“Listen, we’ve worked all year to get our economy going again and to help produce better jobs and more wages,” Boehner said. “But when the White House finally called me last Friday, about extending unemployment benefits, I said that we would clearly consider it, as long as it’s paid for and as long as there are other efforts that’ll help get our economy moving once again.”

“I have not seen a plan from the White House that meets those standards.”

Boehner was asked about conservative PACs and lobbying groups, including Heritage Action, that have come out in opposition to the Ryan-Murray agreement.

“You mean the groups that came out and opposed it before they ever saw it?” he shot back. “They’re using our members and they’re using the American people for their own goals. This is ridiculous.”

“Listen if you’re for more deficit reduction, you’re for this agreement.”

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

If this thing goes through why do we need Republicans at all? Just keep
the Democrats in office indefinitely. Besides, it will eliminate having to
listen to all that campaign drivel.
Exactly the phrases that jumped out at me because they contradict one another. More government is going to slow the economy not help it. Neither party understands that fundamental relationship.

And then there is this: “You mean the groups that came out and opposed it before they ever saw it?”

I would oppose someone's plan to break in to my house without knowing the details of how they plan to do it.
“Listen if you’re for more deficit reduction, you’re for this agreement.”
"Officials said the framework under discussion would raise overall spending on general government programs to $1.012 trillion in the current budget year, compared with $967 billion under existing law."

Raising spending by %5 a year is not deficit reduction by any rational measure. And it is a ruinous rate of increase.

You did what exactly?

These guys gotta go.
►►►►►►►►►►►►►
My neighbor's sister-in-law makes $83 an hour on the laptop. She has been without a job for 6 months but last month her pay was $13121 just working on the laptop for a few hours. find more info
►►►►►►►►►►►►►
WWW.BAY93.COM
my friend's mom makes $63 an hour on the computer. She has been out of work for seven months but last month her payment was $18465 just working on the computer for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more http://www.cash29.com/
☝ ☝ ☝ ☝ ☝ ☝☝ ☝ ☝ ☝ ☝ ☝
my buddy's step-aunt makes $82/hour on the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working on the internet for a few hours. look at this web-site..... http://www.jobs53.com
My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do>>>>>>>>>>>> www.jobs35.com
Everybody can earn 150$+ daily... You can earn from 4000-9000 a month or even more if you work as a full time job...It's easy, just follow instructions on this page, read it carefully from start to finish... It's a flexible job but a good earning opportunity.. go to this site for more details............ Blue48.Com
my friend's ex-wife makes $75/hr on the laptop. She has been fired for six months but last month her pay was $16108 just working on the laptop for a few hours. visit this website .✈✈✈✈✈✈✈✈ >>> http://xurl.es/wekp5
my classmate's step-aunt makes $86 hourly on the computer. She has been fired from work for 9 months but last month her payment was $18647 just working on the computer for a few hours. pop over to this site....WWW.Rush64.COM
Love my job, since I've been bringing in $87h… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online. All I do are easy tasks from this one cool site>>>>>>>>>> www.jobs35.com
my best friend's mother-in-law makes $63/hr on the computer. She has been laid off for 10 months but last month her paycheck was $21534 just working on the computer for a few hours. you could try this out----- WWW.Rush64.COM
It is really stupid for Boehner to go public with this even if this is how he feels.

But I'm glad he did. It helps keep things clear in my mind.

The real battle is between those who get rich off of taxes and those who get poor from taxes. Everything else is just distraction.
1 2 3 4 Next View All

2 Trackbacks to “Boehner: Conservative Groups Opposing Budget Deal are ‘Using the American People for Their Own Goals’”