The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

August 7, 2013 - 12:41 pm

Happy Eid-al-Fitr from President Obama:

Michelle and I send our warmest greetings to Muslims celebrating Eid al-Fitr here in the United States and around the world.  During the past month, Muslims have honored their faith through prayer and service, fasting and time spent with loved ones.  At this year’s White House Iftar, I was proud to spend time with some of the many American Muslims whose contributions enrich our democracy and strengthen our economy.  Many of us have had the opportunity to break fast with our Muslim friends and colleagues—a tradition that reminds us to be grateful for our blessings and to show compassion to the less fortunate among us, including millions of Syrians who spent Ramadan displaced from their homes, their families, and their loved ones.  To help the many Syrians in need this Eid al-Fitr, the United States is providing an additional $195 million in food aid and other humanitarian aid, bringing our humanitarian contribution to the Syrian people to over $1 billion since the crisis began.  For millions of Americans, Eid is part of a great tapestry of America’s many traditions, and I wish all Muslims a blessed and joyful celebration. Eid Mubarak.

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

The One deserves to be hanged on the Mall.
Obama cannot be a "Christian" -- that would be placing some other power above his own.
Okay, Obama is reflexively anti-American and that makes him a fellow traveler of jihad. I really think that's true.
Muslims have been present in the US for quite a while now. The first person I knew at all well who was Muslim was a physician in the USAF. We had a surprising number of foreign-born physicians. Dr. David was a pediatrician who grew up in Pakistan. He was as pleasant a co-worker as I have ever known; I knew him best when he pulled his tours as emergency physician.
Later, I knew another physician who was a Muslim and a surgeon; I didn't happen to like him because I thought he was arrogant, but I admit I assigned that more to him being a surgeon than being a Muslim (medical people know why I assigned that stereotype).
At least while I was on active duty, I never met a Muslim whose religion seemed to be a source of arrogance or friction. I never met a Christian, a Jew or an atheist whose beliefs were a problem either, really. I shared a class with a fundamentalist Christian once and he was worried for my soul when I mentioned evolution, but that was the worst thing I ever encountered.
"Great Tapestry?" As in when we defeated the Barbary Pirates?
So according to Wikipedia, Eid al-Fitr was originated by Muhammad after his migration from Mecca. What was the holy and significant event that so inspired him? To quote:
"When the Prophet arrived in Madinah, he found people celebrating two specific days in which they used to entertain themselves with recreation and merriment. He asked them about the nature of these festivities at which they replied that these days were occasions of fun and recreation. At this, the Prophet remarked that the Almighty has fixed two days [of festivity] instead of these for you which are better than these: Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha."

Holy this and holy that...enough already.
Next time, I hope we elect an honest-to-God American as President.
Nick Berg and Daniel Pearl could not be reached for comment.
The One deserves to be hanged on the Mall.
Islam has contributed a line to the Marine Corps Hymn: "to the shores of Tripoli."
The buzzards returning to Hinckeley, OH, is also part of the great tapestry of America's many traditions, and a more positive one than Eid.
We've all heard of CAIR, the Council of American-Islamic Relations.

Have you noticed that there's no CACR or CAJR for Christians and Jews? No CAAR for atheists? Because Judeo-Christians, atheists, agnostics, wiccans, bhuddists and the whole rest of the religous spectrum consider themselves Americans, so no such organization is needed. It's only Islam that self-identifies as competing with America for its adherents' loyalty.
Meanwhile, Major Hasan is in a military courtroom, being so very proud of his Muslim contribution to our democracy.
1 2 Next View All