The PJ Tatler

Open Letter to Republican National Committee

They sent me a request for contributions disguised as a survey. I sent them answers they won't like.

Howard Nemerov

June 8, 2013 - 3:57 am

Dear Republican National Committee:

You sent me a survey, apparently indicating interest in my feedback. The survey’s format didn’t work for what I want to say; this letter will serve.

Abortion Plank

Let’s get the tough issue over with first. Last November’s election is the final proof I need that the America rejects the anti-abortion plank. This isn’t to say I support abortion, but I do support Constitutional values.

From the First Amendment perspective, I find it curious that self-proclaimed conservatives claim to support the Constitution, yet have no trouble infringing on people who believe that life begins with the first breath, or those who believe nothing at all. As long as the Republican Party continues to insist that it’s okay to infringe on women who believe otherwise, you’ll lose support among people who share many other values in common, but cannot stomach this high-handed approach towards abortion.

Along the lines of alleged conservative values is the belief in smaller, fiscally responsible government. How can this value jibe with banning abortion? You’ll need enforcement, which means more bureaucrats to run the system, buildings to house them, funds for computers and utilities, and hiring lawyers and law enforcement to enforce the law. It’s a whole new government department! Perhaps the true value here is: “We believe in smaller government, unless it’s one of our sacred cows. Then no expenditure is too much!”

Conservatives also claim to support free-market solutions, instead of building more oppressive government. If abortion is so terrible—and it is, make no mistake—then why can’t you win people over in the realm of ideas, using free market principles? Why insist on taking the statist approach, increasing government power to justify using force to get what you want?

The solution is to replace the anti-abortion plank with one that will be more popular among those who almost agree on this issue: Government should get out of the abortion business. Period. No exceptions. This means that no government entity or representative can tell anybody what to support. This offers a free market solution. If John the pharmacist doesn’t want to stock birth control, government has no right to tell him otherwise. More importantly, if a private business doesn’t want their insurance plan to cover abortion, government can’t make them.

If Jane the gynecologist wants to run a free clinic on Saturdays to provide abortions to poor women, government can’t tell her otherwise. One the other hand, if people want to protest the abortion clinic across the street on public land, government cannot nay-say them. If the protesters violate private property rights or commit violence, we already have enough laws to deal with it.

Patriot Act

Recent news has proven this was a bad idea. When first passed under the Bush administration, I told people that it’s based on a good concept, but once the right—or wrong, depending on your viewpoint—administration takes over, they will use the Patriot Act to justify infringing on our Constitutional rights. And so it is.

Repeal the Patriot Act. Examination of Supreme Court decisions like Deshaney v. Winnebago and Castle Rock v. Gonzales results in only one reasonable conclusion: Government has no obligation to protect us, though we have the obligation to pay taxes for these mythical security services.

From the conservative perspective, we need only remember Benjamin Franklin’s prescient words: “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” We’re spending billions of dollars to feel safer…until the next Boston bomber appears, while diving ever deeper into debt.

Fiscal Responsibility

Speaking of debt, here’s another conflict between smaller-government rhetoric and reality. Analysis of the federal budget shows that Bush and a Republican congress grew the federal budget at an annual rate of over 2.5 times inflation plus population growth. As a result, the federal budget ran a deficit the last seven years of Bush’s term (out of 8 total!).

This doesn’t excuse the Obama administration and Democratic congress from growing the budget at an annual rate of 12 times inflation and population growth, and running up a debt of over one trillion annually. However, there is some truth that the Republican party played fast and loose with their alleged values, and then had to remain relatively quiet while the Democrats showed us how it’s really done. In other words, there is some truth to the claim that it’s Bush’s fault. He set the dynamics in motion, and you can’t tell others to do as you say when you won’t do it yourself.

Party Versus the People

Remember the story of King Solomon and the two women who both claimed one child? When Solomon said to cut the baby in half so each woman could have part, the real mother told him to give the baby to the other women. Solomon knew this was the true mother, because she would sacrifice her own happiness to see the child live.

That child is Liberty, Justice, and the Pursuit of Happiness, among other values the Founders sacrificed their lives and fortunes to pass along to us.

Today, we have two parties once again; mothers, if you will, who gave birth to differing views on how to preserve Liberty, etc. But each party is so focused on gathering power that they have taken up the sword themselves and willingly cleave the baby apart, rather than sacrifice their chance at power. Political parties gather power for themselves to serve the party; any benefit derived for the People is coincidental. No matter who resides in the White House, Americans have seen a gradual erosion of Quality of Life, Liberty, and Justice. Our opportunity to Pursue Happiness has likewise been curtailed. The Democratic Congress/Bush bailout sent hundreds of billions of our tax dollars into the coffers of companies and executives who supposedly were experts in finance and investing. They failed to do their job, and our taxes, representing the production and effort we invested in our daily work, was bled off to keep these losers in caviar and Mercedes sedans.

There’s plenty of blame to spread around Washington on this one. Analysis of both Democrats and Republicans reveals y’all have investments in the banks and companies you voted to bail out. Moreover, the securities and investment industry invested over $158 million in federal campaign contributions during the 2008 election cycle, then received $700 billion in bailout money. I guess they do know how to invest their money after all. On the other hand, taxpayers still had mortgages after you bailed out our note holders. That’s a travesty of justice.

So there you have my thoughts on the matter. If you truly support your advertised values, then do something right and decent for a change. My doubts are such that I left the Republican Party after last November’s election. I mentioned conservative values, but there’s no proof that the Republican party is conservative. Results indicate that we have two statist parties, one delivering us into feudalism faster, but the destination is the same.

This letter represents true value to me, far more than the few dollars I have left after you’ve squeezed my production to pay back your corporate sponsors.

The next move is yours.

Sincerely,

Howard Nemerov

Former civilian disarmament supporter and medical researcher Howard Nemerov investigates the civil liberty of self-defense and examines the issue of gun control, resulting in his book Four Hundred Years of Gun Control: Why Isn’t It Working? He appears frequently on NRA News as their “unofficial” analyst and was published in the Texas Review of Law and Politics with David Kopel and Carlisle Moody.

You can say whatever you want, but abortion is the arrow that hits the Republic in its heart.
It is the idea that you can do whatever you want, even murder people.
It is the transformation of Law into abuse.
It is the entire philosophy of nihilism.

You don't realize that you have been brainwashed.

We will defeat the totalitarians only if we stand firmly on the principles that make Freedom possible.

If you substitute political reasoning to principles, you are already living in the United Soviet of America.
Wake up.

I know it is difficult.
Encapsulates the issue. Your beliefs trump others, clearly anti-First Amendment. In the real world, there are no perfect answers. However, think about my proposal. If gov't were out of the abortion business, there would be no taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood. That's gonna hurt their business. If enough private donors don't step up, there's less availability of abortion. Free market dynamics would prove there's tepid support for abortion, at best.

Is your goal to reduce availability of abortion, or to call people ignorant because they disagree with you? Such truculence isn't going to win any supporters. Or is feeling you're right more important than advancing your goals?
If you believe life begins at first breath, you are ignorant, and nothing I could tell you about abortion would change your mind.
I am an RN who once worked in an abortion clinic; it was 40 years ago and the images of ripped & torn off tiny bloody hands & feet and crushed skulls have never left me.
Mr Nemerov
This is a thought provoking article. I can ALMOST go along with the free market take on abortion.

I have, however, lost a little respect for you after reading the back-and-forth with other readers. Instead of using logic to win the argument, youcome off like a liberal progressive attacking the person rather than the idea.

Now for my critique of your position
If your argument is taken to its logical end, one must answer the question, "When does life begin?", to determine when prosecution for murder is appropriate. If the definition of human life is relative to one's beliefs, then a new born or toddler is fair game for abortion. Before denegrating me for taking things to the extreme, remember that every policy decision must be taken to the extreme before implementation because extremes will be realized at some point.
Really, Howard? Do you think I haven't given this a lot of thought, since 1974 when I worked with abortion doctors?
I didn't immediately become pro-life after my exposure to abortion. I have thought about it for 40 years, and only recently came to the conclusion that it was wrong to make it legal.
No, I don't want women arrested, so don't give me all the talking points about enforcement, blah, blah.
I know abortion is wrong, and I also know that I will never convince you or any pro-choicers of that. But I can't change my opinion of it just because there are many who don't agree with me. And my opinion is not a Pavlov's dog reaction; that's pretty insulting.
It is the idea that you can do whatever you want, even murder people.
It is the transformation of Law into abuse.
It is the entire philosophy of nihilism.

You don't realize that you have been brainwashed.

Wake up.

I know it is difficult.
Of course I meant
pseudo-"philosophy" of nihilism
Both my wife and I got these GOP surveys just this week, in fact. They're obviously using voting records to target, as my wife only votes because I get an absentee for her, and is on no-one's political mailing list.
I used my return envelope to it's fullest advantage but they did not supply the postage. The letter within was succinct, and "really direct", to the point of bluntness, with no profanity. Funny, but I get these exactly-the-same surveys every 4 months or so, and I always retort the same way. Not a dollar is sent and yet, the mailers keep coming.
They don't seem to be getting any of the messages, that much is obvious........
I'd like to pick up on this...."The more the RINOs took over the party and ran Left, the more the core was left behind. "

The RINO's are trying anything, everything, in order to hold on to whatever numbers of voters they think they have remaining. The "core" of the Republicans simply aren't numerous enough to make an electoral or legislative difference any more, unless they're appealed to, in some sort of a coalition sense, by the Democrats who're the lowest common denominator party.

They're doing this because the demographics have indeed already changed to the point that Republicans, as we used to be, will never again win another major election in this country.

Right now, we're going through a demographic revolution where the historic white majority since 1789 will, from now on, be the new minority with lessening leverage as the years go by and the "browning" majority grows inexorably.

We're impotent witnesses to the end of an era.
....this should've been clicked as a "reply" to: Thane3642...it's his quote .

My congressman is one of those than Boehner stripped of their committee chairmanship in retaliation for voting against him. Therefore my response to every one of these is:

"I'm not giving you another dime until my congressman gets his committee chairmanship back"
Regarding abortion, some of the opposition is that it's being made legal by the feds was unConstitutional. By that I mean abortion is a state's rights issue since it was not one of the things the federal government was specifically given power over. At best the Supreme Court should have ruled in Roe v. Wade that it was up to states to decide.

Many people understood that the Patriot Act was a disaster in the making. It was a bill thrown together in the dark of night to take advantage American's hysteria after 9/11. Opposition was called unpatriotic, a play on its Orwellian name, and so it was passed, secret amendments and all. Warnings were sounded that once the wrong (read Democrat) president and Congress got control of it we'd end up with a police state. It was once said that one shouldn't judge a law by what those who pass it might do with it, but what those in the future might do with it.

The lack of fiscal responsibility and the way they grew government soured me and many of my friends against the Republicans. They seemed to think that "growing the tent" meant leaning Left. That would never work since they could never out Democrat (spend) the Democrats but could only betray their base and loose support.

This also plays into party vs. the people. The more the RINOs took over the party and ran Left, the more the core was left behind. The party moved away from the people in the name of cheap power grabs rather than the people moving from the party. Anyone with a brain can see where the liberals are taking this country and the RINOs are helping them just so they can hang on to their piddling office a little longer, until the demographics have shifted enough to get them replaced with Democrats something not as far from happening as they think.

At least some readers can think these issues through, without doing an imitation of Pavlov's dog.

One Trackback to “Open Letter to Republican National Committee”