The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

May 24, 2013 - 7:42 am

As the saying goes, scratch a liberal and you’ll find a tyrant underneath. NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo is but the latest example. He shoved a very restrictive and ill-considered gun law through the state legislature in the dead of night. Among its flaws, the law criminalized police officers who tote firearms with magazines that hold more than seven rounds. Sheriffs around the state have objected to the law. Cuomo summoned them to the state capitol under what appears to be a false pretext, and used the meeting to threaten them into silence.

Cuomo invited its leaders to the Capitol last month, people briefed on the meeting said. The group included Sheriffs’ Association Executive Director Peter Kehoe and Chemung County Sheriff Christopher Moss.

“We didn’t get a response (to the analysis) from him, but we could tell after the budget was passed that none of those recommendations were taken into consideration,” Moss said. “When we got there, we never got to the contents of the letter.”

Instead, Cuomo pushed the sheriffs to stop publicly speaking out against the act, Moss said.

“The governor was of the opinion that the sheriffs around the state should not be interjecting their personal opinions in reference to the law,” Moss said, adding that Cuomo said sheriffs can’t do that and enforce the law.

One person briefed on the meeting said Cuomo threatened to remove sheriffs from office, a little-used power afforded the state’s chief executive under the state constitution.

That would be an abuse of power. It would also not be out of character for Cuomo or, for that matter, Democrats writ large. Two of the three major Obama scandals — snooping on the press and the IRS — involve rampant abuses of power. Cuomo’s own tactics in passing the SAFE Act could be construed as abuses of power, as he used emergency provisions to waive the normal three-day public examination period. Legislators were not even afforded enough time to read the law they were voting on. The SAFE Act was not a response to any real emergency, but it did fulfill Cuomo’s wish to get a landmark bill through as quickly as possible.

h/t Liberty News Network

"Clean water?" What are you even talking about? We have clean water here in Oregon. I'll put my well water against your NY water any day.

I also know, since I am friends with my Sheriff, that any attempt by an Oregon governor to pull something like this would go over like Mike Bloomberg at an NRA convention.

But the people of Oregon were not stupid enough to give such easily abused powers to our Governor.

But, don't vote with your feet. Stay where you are at and fight them.
"Legislators were not even afforded enough time to read the law they were voting on."

And yet, it still passed. Why would anyone with a lick of sense vote for a bill they haven't read? I know, I know, it happens all the time, to detrimental effect. Obamacare comes to mind.
I left New York for Nevada about 3 weeks after that bill passed. Any New Yorkers reading this that may be considering such a move should stop considering and do it! Why support a tyrannical New York when you can live in a shall-issue state with no income tax?

Vote with your feet people, and let them go broke.

Vote with your feet people, and let them go broke.
Well, we do have clean water here, for now, and I would say that the western half of the country is rapidly 'going dry', which might make things a little unpleasant 'downstream'.
You may have clean water, but your government is dirty and corrupt. We have enough water out here in the West, and we know what to do with corrupt politicians and tyrants, Looks like you still need to learn.

I agree with Schmuck; for our sake, don't vote with your feet, stay and fight them, like men.

But, don't vote with your feet. Stay where you are at and fight them.