The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

May 16, 2013 - 2:17 pm

But like Steven Miller, this is not a firing and therefore is not accountability.

An internal IRS memo says Joseph Grant, commissioner of the agency’s tax exempt and government entities division, will retire June 3. Grant joins Steven Miller, who was forced to resign as acting IRS commissioner on Wednesday.

As part of his duties, Grant oversaw the IRS division that targeted tea party groups for additional scrutiny when they applied for tax-exempt status.

Grant joined the IRS in 2005.

Congressional investigators should keep his name handy.

Right now, we are in the "not serious, people may forget" phase. Contracts expiring or someone retiring? That's not accountability.

I don't expect to see anyone frog-marched out of the IRS building, but I do expect to see some IRS staff being grilled on Capital Hill. What would really make my day would be a line of lawyers with subpoenas, at individual IRS employee's front doors.
Having fired a lot of public employees from high-level appointees down to cooks, clerks, and janitors, I can attest that being allowed to pick your date to resign and retire ain't being fired; it isn't even discipline.

People need also to understand what an "Acting" appointment is. When an appointee position is vacant but you need somebody to at least nominally exercise the authority of the position while waiting to choose and have confirmed, if necessary, a new appointee, you take somebody already working in the agency, usually at the career/merit system level just below appointees and make them the "Acting" appointee. It is definitionally a temporary appointment and most governments have strict rules on how long a position can be filled with and "acting" appointment. So, this Acting commissioner held all the rights to his permanent appointment and when his acting commissioner appointment was cancelled, he wasn't fired at all; he was just relieved of the duties of the position in which he was acting and restored to his former pemanent position.

When I was an appointee the advent of cell phones and such made it unnecessary to make anyone "acting" if I was still in cell phone or email range, so I rarely did it unless I was going somewhere on my boat with spotty cell service or if I was going out of the Country. In a Democrat administration anyone made "acting" is going to be vetted for political reliability or they're not going to have ANY authority and are just being given the title for show.
They need to hand him a subpoena to testify before he leaves. On second thought, he was the guy in charge of the program, he should be handcuffed and perp walked out of the building. Then he'll talk without a subpoena.
I hope these people have civil suits filed against them that takes their last dime.

One Trackback to “Breaking: Second IRS Official to Leave”