The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

May 7, 2013 - 5:53 pm

If you’re anything like me you probably didn’t care much about the outcome of this race. But here are a couple of reasons for cheer. One, the seat stays in Republican hands, and two, Sanford’s win is Stephen Colbert’s loss and that probably ruined Colbert’s day.

Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has redeemed a political career sidelined by scandal by winning his old congressional seat.

Sanford defeated Elizabeth Colbert Busch Tuesday in the state’s 1st Congressional District. Colbert Busch is the sister of political satirist Stephen Colbert. With 71 percent of precincts reporting, Sanford has 54 percent of the vote.

I will take a Repugbican victory any day, but it is no credit to the party or society in general that this guy's career wasn't finished after his antics of a few years ago.
I am in the upstate of SC, but this bodes well for conservatives all over SC. We next have to get rid of Lindsey Graham.
I have already been cruising through comments on various news reports of this victory, and I can honestly say the level of butthurt I'm seeing on the left is most satisfying!

That alone would have been worth what the voters of SC gave us this evening, but still there is that whole infidelity thing.....

Regarding that, I can honestly say it doesn't bother me.

I recall raising the issue way back when Clinton was in office and I was assured that it was strictly between him, Hillary, and Monica and a private matter and it did not matter.

So, as far as I'm concerned now, it doesn't matter. Just playing by the left's rules.

If I were to dwell on it, however, I would likewise have to compare in my mind how the Founding Fathers conducted themselves during their own lifetimes.

Few of them were angels.

Benjamin Franklin had a common law marriage because his 'wife' was not yet divorced from her first husband - and this was in addition to the fact that he consorted with prostitutes by an early age and had an illegitimate son. Then while he was spending so much time in London he had a mistress.

The dude got around.

Madison, as Treasury Secretary, had an adulterous affair and was reputed to have given her insider financial tips. Her husband blackmailed him and he ended up having to resign.

Not sure of the validity of the claim, but Jefferson himself was reportedly the father of some half dozen children by one of his slaves. No conclusive proof in my mind has been provided (DNA evidence could just as well have come from his brother who also was a slave owner), but the scandel remains.

So, in light of those facts, I'd suggest we give Sanford forgiveness, tell him to sin no more in the spirit of Christian love, and drop this bull$hit about demanding the perfect flawless candidate for office to run on the republican ticket and start looking for candidates who believe in personal liberty and are willing to fight!

"Madison, as Treasury Secretary"

Don't you mean Hamilton?
I stand corrected - I meant to refer to Hamilton.

Lesson learned being to double check when I'm tired, punchy and posting something late at night...lol.

The fact remains, however, that they weren't angels and each had their own flaws as human beings. They did have it within them to rise above these flaws and do something great though.

If we insist on having a flawless candidate every time then we are going to toss out a lot of good political fighters in the process.

I'm not talking about flawed in the sense of political instincts, simply flawed in the sense that they have made mistakes in their personal lives.

Gingrich, for instance, was a much better debater than either Romney or Obama - but he didn't get the Ann Coulter blessing because he had marital issues.

He had other issues of course, but that was the main criticism of him that I recall be lobbed out by his opponents during the primary - and that was a silly reason to toss him to the curb.
Unfortunately, it's not clear that S.C. will be able to produce a primary candidate who's any better or smarter than Graham (and yes, I'm aware of how low that's setting the bar). A lot of folks were banking on Tim Scott--when DeMint left and Scott got appointed to his seat, Graham must've danced a jig of relief in his office.
Conservatives in SC need to coalesce around a conservative primary challenger that takes the fight to Lindsey Graham to scare the hell out of him and any other Republican that might be tempted to sell out conservatives on amnesty, spending, etc. Even if conservatives lose a close issues based fight, the "Holy Crap that was close!" moment will improve Republican politicians.

I guess I'm glad that Mark Sanford won. It allows some purple district Republican Representative to sit out some tough vote as we approach the 2014 midterms. However, I wouldn't use the word "redeemed" to describe Mark Sanford's current status. I doubt he can successfully run for higher office.

You sand lappers have had nearly 20 years to get rid of Graham, first as a representative and now as a senator.

What would make the rest of us conclude that you're finally going to do it in 2014?