The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

May 2, 2013 - 8:00 am

Organizing for Action is planning on delivering petitions to Congress next week demanding that gun legislation be brought up again.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) yanked his bill after the failure of amendments dampened its chances of passing.

“Two weeks ago, 45 senators sided with the gun lobby and voted to block the expansion of background checks for gun sales. Every single one of those senators expects the issue to fade away — that, over time, we’ll all forget,” President Obama’s campaign manager, Jim Messina, wrote in an email to supporters. “We won’t, and next week, OFA will hand congressional leaders physical proof of it: the names of hundreds of thousands of people who aren’t backing down.”

The email redirected to a petition form on the OFA site:

To: Majority Leader Harry Reid, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Speaker John Boehner, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi

The vast majority of Americans from all corners of the country are united in support of expanded background checks for gun sales. I’m calling on you to listen to the American people and act to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. It will make our communities and schools safer. Please take action to expand background checks today.

“I’ve spent enough time in Washington to know that the way you win a fight like this, faced with some of the most powerful special interests, is just to refuse to give up,” Messina added.

When asked at this week’s press conference if his second-term agenda, including gun control, had lost juice, Obama wryly quipped, “Maybe I should just pack up and go home. Golly.”

“Republicans control the House of Representatives. In the Senate, this habit of requiring 60 votes for even the most modest piece of legislation has gummed up the works there,” he said. “And I think it comes to no surprise, not even to the American people, but even members of Congress themselves that right now things are pretty dysfunctional up on Capitol Hill.”

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

Petitions are for frustrated former student council presidents. If it's the petition I'm thinking of, I've already signed it a couple of times. So have Holden McGroin, Ben Dover and Jack Mehogoff. Not a lot of background check happening there. If petitions worked, we'd already be awarding contracts for the Death Star.
Yeah, how dare some parts of the country continue to vote for people who don't march in lockstep with the glorious progressive revolution? I guess if the progressive 20% scream and stomp their feet louder, they might get their way again.
Doubt petitions would have any effect in NC, but on the other hand I've already noticed two recent events that are specifically tied to gun control in regards to my own senators.

The first was a radio ad I started hearing aired by some Sen. Kay Hagan supporters and narrated by some lamea$$ sheriff chattering on about how Hagan did the right thing in voting for more gun control - and then repeating that 90% lie about public support for more gun control.

This tells me that she is both nervous about her vote AND that the democrats feel the need to try to influence public opinion.

If that 90% lie were true - ads would not be necessary.

The other thing was a recent Sen. Burr interview where he defended his vote against more gun control.

This tells me he knows he's targeted.

While I intend to vote for him in 2016 - he's still not quite off my $hit list for having abandoned the filibuster against the Manchin/Toomey bill in the first place.

Since gun owners tend to be way more informed on that specific issue than the general low information voter, I have confidence I'm not the only one disappointed he left the filibuster and voted to move it to the floor for a vote.

Yes, he did in turn then vote AGAINST the bill - but it should never have gotten that far!

IMO, he was playing politics and trying to help get democrats on record as voting in favor of gun control so the republicans could use that vote as a club later to bludgeon democrat candidates with in the next election cycle.

The thing is, natural/civil rights should NEVER be used as pawns in politics!

Clearly, he felt he had some 'splainin to do.
I agree with what you said about Burr, for better or worse. I sent Hagan an email and reminded her how NC feels about gun control. The last I heard she was voting against, and last minute switched her vote. No much guessing required there, hope she enjoyed her 6 years of fame.
Let's examine this whole "siding with the gun lobby" thing they like to say.

When they say that they're presumably saying that some members of Congress are working towards making more money for companies that manufacture guns and ammo. That's the point, right? I mean, I guess they could be suggesting that the "gun lobby" wants people to die just for the sake of wanting people to die, but that's a little over the top even for today's left. No, I think it's clear that they're talking about profits here.

So how do gun companies make more profits? Usually by selling more guns. Now, anyone want to hazard a guess on whose rhetoric has sparked more gun sales than basically every other President in history combined? Why yes, that would be Barack Obama.

So who is it again that's siding with the "gun lobby"?

He says that like it's a bad thing. If they aren't passing any laws, they are leaving us alone to live our lives.