The PJ Tatler

Stephen Kruiser

May 2, 2013 - 10:44 pm

How about a separation of idiots and state?

A New York City elementary school became the first public school in the nation to go completely vegetarian when it stopped serving meat in its cafeteria this year.
Flushing’s P.S. 244 consists of about 400 students between kindergarten and third grade. And the staff say that the school lunches — which include options like black bean quesadillas, brown rice, falafel, roasted red potatoes, and tofu — are a hit among those young kids, some of whom have started requesting similar foods at home

This isn’t about children’s health, it’s about indoctrination in a fringe lifestyle. There is nothing wrong with vegetarian options for children whose parents have chosen to raise them that way.

“Yay, the kids like it!” isn’t a reason to keep doing it if you’re a responsible adult. These are children who are only a year or so removed from eating whatever they could find in their noses. Kids that age like a lot of things that may not be the best for them. Kids this age are growing a lot and, guess what, they need some good protein sources in their diets.

This is a decision that is one for the parents to make, not for school administrators who seek to undermine the role of parents, which is what’s really going on here.

Also read: Bloomberg Pizza Open Thread: Know Your Satire Sites

Stephen Kruiser is a professional comedian and writer who has also been a conservative political activist for over two decades. A co-founder of the first Los Angeles Tea Party, Kruiser often speaks to grassroots groups around America and has had the great honor of traveling around the world entertaining U.S. troops.

What? You think beans (tofu, black beans, felafel) don't have protein? I won't argue the "fringe indoctrination" issue, but do you think the great populations of India could have survived all these years without animal protein? I guess there's no room in this country for parents to try new things in education without the PJMedia dogmatists raising a stink.
"Flushing" is what I do to my toilet.
I thought libwhacks were pro-choice---
This is a deeply stupid article.
The claim that kids need protein because they are growing fast, is ignorant to the max.
First of all, meet does not equal protein. Protein is found in all plants. No animal can create protein, they get it from plants.
Secondly the fastest growth happens in the first 1/2 year of child's life, mother's milk is the perfect food for the child, and it contains between 5 and 7.5% calories from protein. Much less than most common vegan foods including wheat, rice, kale, spinach, and thousands of other plant foods.
Finally, American kids increasingly suffer from obesity and vegan kids are much less likely to be fat. It's good for the kids to be on vegan diet.
I grew up in Queens, New York. Flushing has a large Indian American population. Most of them are vegetarian, all of them don't eat beef. When I was a kid in public school, I brought my own lunch because most school lunches contained meat, and I couldn't eat it. Somehow, despite the lack of animal protein in my diet, I grew up healthy and strong, and so did my brother. Though, Indian food DOES contain dairy - milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.

Also, for some public schools facing budget issues, serving vegetarian meals might be a good way to save money. It's not about trying to convert kids to a particular lifestyle so much as about providing healthy meals on a budget. This is also why many cultures, such as the Chinese, find ways to "stretch" meat - because meat is generally more expensive.

My personal opinion - you can be healthy eating meat, eating mostly vegetarian or being pure lacto-vegetarian. Being vegan is much harder and if you want to be a healthy vegan you do need to do a lot more research - but it's definitely doable. It's each person's choice, and none of my business. I'm not into dictating what other people eat.
Oh, correction - the Hindus don't eat beef, the Muslims don't eat pork, the Sikhs, etc., don't have those issues. However, the majority of Indians (as I recall) were either Hindu or Muslim, so you can see how a school serving a largely Indian community might decide to go vegetarian as the simplest solution to meeting everyone's dietary restrictions.
Maybe schools shouldn;t be in the "business" of feeding the kids in the first place. That's the parents resposibility. But as we've seen... parents will gladly shirk their responsibility... if the governemnt will accept it. And government will gladly accept it as a means to gain control. "Hey, if we're paying for it... you'll do it OUR way!!"

So which came first? The irresponsibly parents? Or the opportunistic government?
Does the author really think most hippies were vegetarians? Back in the day, there were far fewer "veg-heads" out there than there are today and they were viewed the same way -- as a bunch of kooks. Get a clue, PJ Media.

And has anyone dared to ask the Powers That Be here why PJ Media has the crappiest comments editor in the universe? What an embarrassment this thing is.

Since the author is from LA, not NY, he doesn't realize just how Indian Flushing is.
Note give-away quote in linked article -
those kids were no doubt Hindu,
and couldn't eat school meat lunches.

When P.S224 first opened, school officials noticed many students bringing their own vegetarian lunches from home, inspiring administrators to experiment with some meat-free menus.
I've been on the road for 25 years and rented a room in Queens when I first started working the East Coast a lot, I'm well aware of the neighborhood. I'm just not a fan of a federally funded school district catering menus, curriculum or anything else to a particular demographic be it ethnic, racial, religious or anything else.
"When P.S224 first opened, school officials noticed many students bringing their own vegetarian lunches from home..."

Good! It should have stayed that way. Why should I have to pay to feed your kids?