The PJ Tatler

Stephen Kruiser

April 29, 2013 - 11:41 pm

In twenty five years on the road I’ve never tried to influence legislation or send people to war, so my answer is no.

The politician-as-comedian is the hardest trick to pull off. Whatever you think of him as a president, there is no denying that with a script in front of him, Barack Obama can deliver a joke with timing and poise. Others – notably Boris Johnson – can be genuinely funny off the cuff. But most politicians are neither natural actors nor naturally witty: a large number of people who go into politics are dry, humourless policy wonks. Watching them deliver a joke – or, worse, come up with one themselves – is like watching the ape-men around the obelisk at the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey: they know it’s important, but its workings are a mystery.

Stephen Kruiser is a professional comedian and writer who has also been a conservative political activist for over two decades. A co-founder of the first Los Angeles Tea Party, Kruiser often speaks to grassroots groups around America and has had the great honor of traveling around the world entertaining U.S. troops.

more than anything else, the O reminds me of the poor schmuck who just got hit in the face with a pie...he just doesn't realize it yet....what's that about laughing with you vs laughing at you..
oh, and I just saw where the D's link climate change to women having desparation sex...who needs Laugh-In?
I think the president is a special case. Because he's so powerful, both as our Commander-in-Chief and as the most significant player in domestic politics, pretty much anytime the president is funny, except for self-deprecating humor, he comes off poorly.

The powerful making fun of the less powerful is not funny. I've seen some commercials for a show where celebrities play practical jokes on normal people. I don't really see a show like that coming off well. The weak need to make fun of the powerful, in order to bring the powerful down to their level.
Self depreciating humor can be a breath of fresh air. Even Nixon went on Laugh In and delivered the stock line "Sock it to me?"
I think it's the ginormous egos of most politicians that keeps them from being able to laugh at themselves.
Reagan was the last truly funny president. He was an actor, not a poser.
I don't think Obama is funny or even mildly amusing with or without a script. He's a cold man with a voice that makes everything he says sound the same. Humor should be spontaneous and even those who aren't inclined to make quips or witty observations have their moments. I always enjoyed GWB in humor mode because his unpolished delivery style was natural.