The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

April 21, 2013 - 2:23 pm

An West Virginia eighth-grade student was suspended from school and later arrested after wearing an NRA T-shirt with the picture of a gun to school and then refusing to take it off.

Jared Marcum woke up Thursday morning and decided to wear an NRA T-Shirt with the picture of a hunting rifle. When confronted by school authorities who told him to take it off, Jared refused. He was later arrested on two counts including obstruction and disturbing the education process.

The school district refuses to comment and the family has retained a lawyer.

WOWK TV:

Jared’s father Allen Lardieri says he’s angry he had to rush from work to pick his son up from jail over something he says was blown way out of proportion.

“I don’t’ see how anybody would have an issue with a hunting rifle and NRA put on a t-shirt, especially when policy doesn’t forbid it,” Lardieri said.

The Logan County School District’s dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images.

“He did not violate any school policy,” Lardieri reiterates. “He did not become aggressive.”

Now, Lardieri says he’s ready to fight until the situation is made right.

“I will go to the ends of the earth, I will call people, I will write letters, I will do everything in the legal realm to make sure this does not happen again,” Lardieri said.

Logan City Police did confirm that Jared had been arrested and charged today.

For an eighth grader, the young man appears to have a remarkable clarity of mind:

“People are saying that I did the right thing, that they’re proud,” Jared said.

The 14-year-old student at Logan Middle School in Logan, West Virginia says the NRA shirt that sparked the controversy now symbolizes a fight that is just getting started.

“What they’re doing is trying to take away my rights, my freedom of speech and my second amendment,” Jared said.

“You can take the firearms out of the equation, what this about is fundamental rights,” Jared’s father Allen Lardieri said.

The school authorities wildly exceeded any possible mandate they might have to regulate speech and on a whim — or because of political bias — tried to enforce a non-existent dress code. Now they’re stuck with their behinds hanging out and don’t know what to do. So their only comment is “no comment.” They haven’t even told Jared or his family when he can come back to school.

If a student came to school wearing a T-Shirt with the NRA logo placed in a red circle with a line through it, the kid would probably be feted at a special school assembly.

As it is, poor Jared is on the “wrong” side of the issue and must suffer for standing up for his foul beliefs.

Rick Moran is PJ Media's Chicago editor and Blog editor at The American Thinker. He is also host of the"RINO Hour of Power" on Blog Talk Radio. His own blog is Right Wing Nut House.

And you let these teachers and adminstrators teach your children? Their IQs seem to be about that of a cold day in February.
Those administrators should get down on their knees and thank God that isn't my child - and I don't even have children.

If I did, they would either be in a private school or homeschooled.
Wear a Che shirt and the principal will give him high-fives.
let's see if I understand what is happening here.

liberals in the school system don't like something they see a conservative child do, so they illegally and knowingly shame him in front of his peers, traumatize him by having him arrested, thereby violating his constitutional rights. acting as government officials they have ultimately cost everybody living there million$ in lawsuits that will eventually result in higher taxes for all. they do this all the while posing as competent professional educators entrusted with the development of pliable young minds. sounds to me like they are letting politics cloud good judgment, which is highly immature, unprofessional and a very unethical road to travel.

was there ever a better poster child for the intrinsic values of home schooling as when supposedly educated people, trusted with the mental development of our children, let some innocuous picture cause such terror in their hearts as to violate the constitutional rights of those children they are paid to protect? 'unworthy' is a word that comes to mind, not to mention 'incompetent'.
He should’ve opted for a shirt with a rainbow on it and the words “Butt Sex With Anonymous Strangers Is AWESOME!”

I think he would’ve gotten extra credit for that.
If he had been something other than a white boy, it would not have been an issue.
IsLogan County so flush with surplus money that they can afford idiots like this school's administration wasting it on lawsuits? Or, after they lose in court, will they have to raise taxes to ensure that the "children get a good edumecation"?
They told me if I voted for Mitt Romney, students would get arrested based on their t-shirts having unapproved messages. And they were right!