The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

April 16, 2013 - 1:59 pm

Temple, TX police officers disarmed active duty Army MSGT C. J. Grisham today because he was walking with his own rifle out in the country. Central Texas is known for rattlesnakes, coyotes, even the occasional cougar. Grisham was out hiking with his son, who is one badge away from Eagle Scout.

One of the officers claims in the video that he felt “threatened.” That’s why they disarmed Grisham, who has a Texas concealed carry permit.

YouTube Preview Image

MSGT Grisham has served in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to Grisham, the officer grabbed his rifle, which was on a strap around his neck.

“‘Where you going with that rifle?’ he asked me. I said, ‘does it matter? Am I breaking any laws?’” Then, he says, the officer “grabbed the rifle without telling me – but it was attached to me. My immediate reaction as a combat veteran was to grab it back and then take a step back. I asked him what he was doing. So he pulled his gun on me. Then I thought about my son, so I put my hands off my gun and he told me to move over to the car. Luckily my son had the video camera to document the hike for his merit badge. I told him to turn it on.”

Grabbing the rifle on the officer’s part was extremely dangerous and could have gotten him killed, had Grisham not kept a cool head. The officers took both of Grisham’s weapons (he also had a sidearm), took his wallet from him, and handcuffed him. Then they hauled him off in the squad car like a common criminal.

The man has spent several of the past years of his life defending our country overseas. From the back seat of the squad car, he can be heard trying to comfort his crying son.

Grisham says the police took both his guns and his concealed carry permit and have not returned them. He is not accused of any crime. He says that other soldiers have encountered similar situations and they usually result in the police dropping charges in exchange for confiscating the gun.

That’s theft under the guise of law enforcement. The Temple police department needs to be sued into the ground in civil court. Sue it from orbit just to be sure. Get every one of the badges of the officers involved and hang them on a wall. Local police need to be put on notice that they are not above the law, as one of the officers claims they are in the video.

More: Some commenters at YouTube make a good point — the officers never read Grisham his Miranda rights. At least, if they did it’s not on the video.

This is better than winning the lotto. In addition to the Texas statute cited by TCOBB, I see a clear violation of 2nd, 4th, 5th and 14th amendments.

This case is made for a lawsuit. And a firing of the officers, particularly the Sgt. He should have stepped up and de-escalated the situation, instead and lied about not needing to follow the law. What a sad state of affairs our country is in.

I would expect something like this in NY or Chicago, or Mass, but Texas? My WTF moment of the day.
Truly disgusting behavior on the part of the cops. It was also a criminal act on their part, not just a civil violation.

Section 39.03 of the Texas Penal Code reads:

act in an official capacity or takes advantage of such actual or
purported capacity.
(c) In this section, "sexual harassment" means unwelcome
sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or
physical conduct of a sexual nature, submission to which is made a
term or condition of a person's exercise or enjoyment of any right,
privilege, power, or immunity, either explicitly or implicitly.
(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

Now the odds of the local authorities prosecuting the cops for this are virtually nil, but it is the case (or was-I assume it still is) that the victim of a crime can sue the perp and collect punitive damages against them. And the perp doesn't actually have to be charged with let alone convicted of the crime. I also believe that any such judgments cannot be discharged in bankruptcy proceedings.

I hope he sues the bastards as well as Bell County and takes them for a bundle. Maybe that will teach them a lesson.
This guy is not what he seems. Michael Yon wrote an article about him recently. Yon has had dealings with him before.
Sorry but I could care less what Yon has to say . . . about anything. I have read both sides of the squabble between them . . . Yon likes to spin a wild tale - and I do not know either man personally . . .
He can avoid most of the local politics by filing suit in the Federal District Court of Western Texas in Waco. There is federal jurisdiction under the federal civil rights law and under certain situations, state claims can be heard, also. Depending on the make up of the jury, this could be a $1M plus verdict. That could cause the cops their jobs. He could also ask for injunctive relief prohibiting the police from doing this again.
He said his career is on hold until this is cleared up. Might get to retire early, courtesy of the Temple PD. Wish I could be on that jury. He'd retire in style.
The Temple mayor's official website, including email address, is

After watching the video. The officers were showing they really had no ideal what to do about covering theirself while being videoed. Action similuar to the ex
SS Gustapho. No rights were given. And a good question is,, Was the person in the city limits of Temple? If not,, why was the city police envloved in county jurisdiction? Do feel Police officers were very unprofessional, with disgusting behavior. All officers present at the scene should be FIRED, and anwser to criminal act they preformed
In Texas a lot of the time in the past 20 years, the city will extend the city limits down a county or state hwy and off each side far enough to include any businesses in city sales tax collection. Gives cops jurisdiction on the pavement and a few feet on either side of the road. Farther off the road, like where you might put a house, is NOT in the city limits.
Greetings:

Just another daily dose of progressive "the process is the punishment".

I grew up in the Bronx of the '50s and '60s. Back there and then, part of the folk-wisdom was that if you're in court, you've already lost. The question to be decided is how much.
Bryan,
You need to look for the other side of this story. Look to links from Michael Yon, war correspondent. His facebook page has some references to this episode but his website has most of the background on Grisham. Unfortunately, it is contaminated with trojans, right now. What's on film is not all that it seems.
I read some of this Michael Yon guy. He seems to be a nutbag with an aversion to facts.
Mike,
You haven't read enough of him, then. Sure, he has a beef with Grisham but he has good reason too. I have kept up with Mr. Yon's reporting all through the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and he does excellent reporting and photography.

One other point about this episode. Many presume they were hiking in the woods. He is hiking along a highway surrounded by open fields. Also, the Hiking Merit Badge does not require a video camera to be brought along. I agree the cop was wrong in many ways. He was also set up by the good MSGT.

The direct link on Michael Yon's site about Grisham is clean of Trojan's and viruses now. Here it is: http://www.michaelyon-online.com/stalking-soldier-arrested-disarmed-by-texas-police-some-facts-opinion-and-analysis.htm

I was born in Texas and live here now. I've lived in Wisconsin, Alabama, Maryland and upstate NY.

I am embarrassed that this happened here. This is as bad as when the Plano cop wouldn't let the family get into the hospital parking lot - they were in a hurry because a family member was dying. Or the Arlington cops who shot that little kids dog - on their property. Or the one who threw the Type 1 Diabetic to the pavement because he was "unresponsive" - he was going into insulin shock. All in the past year or so.

What's up with this ? cops (mostly) didn't used to act like that. They were proud to be professional. Now it is getting to be the norm.
Absolutely unconscionable behavior on the part of the PO's.
Makes my blood boil.
A lawsuit is the way to go!
Where do I send a donation?

Section 39.03 of the Texas Penal Code reads:

act in an official capacity or takes advantage of such actual or
purported capacity.
(c) In this section, "sexual harassment" means unwelcome
sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or
physical conduct of a sexual nature, submission to which is made a
term or condition of a person's exercise or enjoyment of any right,
privilege, power, or immunity, either explicitly or implicitly.
(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

3 Trackbacks to “Police Arrest Active Duty Soldier for ‘Rudely Displaying’ Rifle While Hiking with His Son”