The PJ Tatler

Stephen Green

March 18, 2013 - 11:48 am

Here’s the story from near my home on the Front Range:

Weld County Sheriff John Cooke said he won’t enforce either gun-control measure waiting to be signed into law by Gov. John Hickenlooper, saying the laws are “unenforceable” and would “give a false sense of security.”

One bill passed Friday would expand requirements to have background checks for firearm purchases. Hickenlooper is expected to sign it into law within two weeks.

Earlier this week, Colorado lawmakers approved a 15-round limit on ammunition magazines. It also is awaiting the expected approval of the governor.

Cooke said Democratic lawmakers are uninformed but are scrambling in reaction to recent tragedies in the nation.

“They’re feel-good, knee-jerk reactions that are unenforceable,” he said.

Colorado Democrats are out of control. And the state GOP is too busy playing endless rounds of Circular Firing Squad to do anything about it.

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

What this sheriff proposes is admirable,... nay, even praiseworthy, but in the end the residents in His county now have to wonder where those darn lines are, and if 'the next guy' is doing it or not.
In my state, Michigan Marijuana Medicine Clinics have been signed into law and yet licensed operators are busted and made into lawbreakers, by state law-enforcement officials.
What's a poor sap to do when one BIG hand tackles the other and you're in the middle ? They don't pay any price and you're ground into the dirt.
Please, someone tell me once again why so many don't vote and shun anything political like the plague it seems to often be?
Had to add this. I just went to the mailbox and guess what was there? My NRA hat... Made in China!
Well Sheriff Cooke, run for a political office, change the law. Until then just obey the frickin' things. If your conscience bothers you, retire. In case you haven't heard we don't make law at the sheriff level or at lemonade stands either.
In CO, Sheriffs are the highest elected officials in 62 of the 64 counties in the state. The counties are telling the state to sod off - not unlike the sanctuary city foolishness. Cheers -
Failure to enforce is not to disobey. He is not breaking any law by declining to enforce. There are many laws on the books that LEO's nationwide decline to enforce every single day. Nothing unusual about it. Practicality is a legitimate consideration in an era of constrained resources - choices have to be made.
Wrong, sheriffs are sworn to the Constitution just like members of Congress. Doesn't need to enforce unConstitutional laws. Common sense, here.
QED is right. You can't play trombone in an elevator in Cincinnati but you don't see any sheriffs patrolling for trombone players. I bet most of the laws out there aren't enforced. OBTW I'm a trombone player and I'm careful to note the local laws when I travel.
Yes, yes. They're ALL sworn to the Constitution and all agree on how that's interpreted so it's happy ever after and smiles all around. Why not just say the Wizard of Oz decides?

By the way I've established the one-man kingdom of Fail Burton and its borders are where ever the outline of my shoes are at the time and no I'm not issuing visas and yes my paychecks are signed by The Constitution and no we're not dating yet.
I usually agree with most of what Fail Burton writes - but not this time. If the azz-clown in the WH and his appointees can pick and chose which laws to enforce and which to ignore so can a Sheriff in Colorado.
I think the correct spelling is "ass-clown."