January 7, 2013 - 1:22 am
- The New Iranian Hostage Crisis, by Michael Ledeen. Secret talks: Who, when, where, and why they’re stalled.
- Chuck Hagel, Gay Rights, and Liberalism’s Incoherence, by John Rosenberg. When Hagel promises his “commitment to their [LGBT] civil rights,” we can be sure that he has no idea whatsoever what he is actually promising, and neither does anyone else.
- Are Gay Republican Groups Gaining Momentum? By Jordan Smith. Log Cabin takes on Hagel; GOProud gives up on CPAC and goes for youth vote. Traditionalists aren’t giving in.
- On Jabberwocky: Why We Do the Things We Think We Aren’t Doing, by David Solway. Alice succeeded in reaching the looking-glass hill only when she stopped trying to reach it and let a little aimlessness gallumph into her life.
- GOPs Bracing for Hagel Nod with Pre-emptive Strikes, by Bridget Johnson. McConnell is the squishiest, though, on opposition to the expected Defense sec nod. Also read: What the Hagel Nomination Means, from Dr. Hurd.
- ‘Air/Sea Battle,’ Escalation, and U.S. Strategy in the Pacific, by Christopher Ford. U.S. strategy for a possible conflict with China has detractors fearing a quick escalation to nukes.