Spengler

New York Is Just Fine — De Blasio Is Broken

November 7th, 2013 - 5:16 pm

New York has always been a city for strivers, where hard work and wit led to success. Contrary to Mayor-elect de Blasio’s whining about the gap between rich and poor and the high cost of housing and the humiliation of young black and Hispanic men by the police, the city is still doing just what it is supposed to do. The proof is the success of Asian immigrants.

There has been considerable hand-wringing during the past few years about “lack of diversity” in the eight public high schools that require written exams. Asians are 14% of the public school population, but 50% of the elite high school population (the same proportion applies to Hunter College’s free public high school). By and large the Asian entrants are the children of working-class immigrants who pay extra tuition to prepare them for the entrance exams.

The NAACP has filed a complaint against the school system demanding racial quotas. The same concern for those “left behind” motivated the open admissions program in the City University system in 1969, which nearly ruined the system until CUNY found a way to shunt the underperformers into the community college system. (See chart at bottom of page.)

Asian immigrants are changing the face of New York, and for the better. My own solidly middle-class neighborhood in Manhattan is slowly becoming Asian, as the successful children of the last generation of Asian immigrants reach the income levels to buy Manhattan apartments–not the plutocrats’ pads on Park Avenue to the west of my corner of the island, but still within walking distance of many of the city’s best-known private schools. A few years before, Russians began moving in to our neighborhood from Brooklyn. Their kids also are hugely overrepresented in the city’s elite high schools.

I agree with just about every point Spengler makes here. Except one:

"There’s nothing wrong with New York..."

There is one major thing wrong with NYC. That they would be stupid enough to elect a committed Communist to be a part of their government. Of course, these same idiots re-elected Bloomberg and Obama, so it makes sense.
The reason why certain ethnic groups do well and others don't is dependent on what is admired in a given society. People from societies that admire scholars – where a girl wants to become a rabbetsyn – promote education and eventually dominate people who admire professional athletes and rappers.

Money is important, but it isn't everything. What made me most upset with the “Occupy” protests was their presumption that the most important 1% was the richest 1% when there are so many other kinds of elites. Some people are privileged but not rich, while others are hollow men with huge amounts of money – and nothing else. Resentment of the rich so often leads a poor man to become rich, only to resent the education, credentials, or happiness of those poorer (in money) than himself. Pity the man who has nothing but money, for he is poor in what truly matters in life.

Money didn't make Ralph Engelstad a better man. It didn't remove the chip on his shoulder. It didn't teach him good manners. And it didn't remove his legendary Jew hatred or his admiration for Adolf Hitler. A boorish millionaire is still a boor.
Thank you, but there's a world's smallest violin playing for New York now. Its elites have threatened so many other cities to make them integrate their schools, hamstring the police, and expel the middle class to the suburbs. The rest of the country needs to see the sheltered elites of New York learn their lesson, not the other way around.
Mr. Goldman has an agenda, which is summed up in his last sentence: "There's nothing wrong with New York that a million Asian immigrants wouldn't fix really fast".
We should look at the society they come from if we want see what they really are; anybody care to move to India?
Japan, South Korea and Singapore are not that bad. India is developing rapidly since they started moving toward free market, though they still have a long way to go. Pakistan, Afghanistan and the Near East on the other hand...
Yes Mr. Goldman. My parents were New Yorkers but decided to go farming so I grew up on a farm but returned to NY in 1960 to go to Columbia. In those days The Bronx High School of Science had a disproportionate number of Jewish student, born like me in 1942 - in the middle of the Holocaust. Those Jewish kids came into Columbia driven not just by their Jewish mothers, but by a collective existential drive that arose from the experience of the Jewish people. I remember hearing one night in my sophomore year a rumor of a secret and private showing of previously unreleased footage of the concentration camps. It went right through the dorms at Columbia and I found myself in a huge loft downtown vouched for by my Jewish friends watching what was everything that was said about the camps and more. So I too am OK with the Asians and the Russians and others who come to NY and excel. You're right - NY is is not an equality of outcome kind of place.
5229 students, total, out of a school population of 1.1 million in 1700 schools (wikipedia).

Statistically insignificant. Even the 26,000 aspirants who took the test is statistically insignificant.

Most will attend Universities outside NYC, most will never return.

Sorry, NYC IS broken. And will not be fixed anytime soon.
America is just fine.
The ruling political elite is "broken"- and needs to be completly broken.
It's the intellectual elite that is the problem. They are the opinion makers and the (dis)information brokers, and they shape the media people, the politicians, the teachers, many of the artists and a very large number of young people. They are the brain of the society and this brain is very sick.
But -- There's something very wrong with asking the rest of us -- the not rich, the working middle and upper middle classes -- to participate in the sort of wealth transfer that provides the other 60% of NYC's social services -- and then you must factor in the federal slice, which is even larger and from other law abiding, hard working, not rich people.

The illegal immigrant rate among Asian and other "hard working" immigrant groups is also staggering, and they are stealing from our families, taking advantage of our largesse, and taking job opportunities that would otherwise go to Americans who are forced to pay for allthose excellent schools, rent-subsidized housing, and healthcare.

New York City benefits, but the rest of us, who follow rules imposed unequally, pay, in large ways and small ways. The tatters of the social contract is slapped in our faces. The wealthy in NYC have the clout to demand huge transfers of tax dollars from elsewhere through medicaid, medicare, and other taxes shouldered by the middle classes, not the wealthy.

I usually learn something new from reading Spengler, but in this case I wish he had addressed the other Americans being forced to subsidize legal and illegal immigration. We would all love to live in a place like New York City. But some of us are out here paying huge chunks of our salaries to subsidize all those "strivers" who know they can come here and have the best schools, healthcare, cheap rent, and so on handed to them by the suckers in the rest of the country.
Again, Tina, both the NYC MSA and the five boroughs are net revenue donors to the U.S. federal budget. You're just wrong on the facts.
The problem with New York City is that three million registered voters were too scared to vote for anyone, because we know the maps will reveal where the 'heretics' live.

de Blasio won the Dem primary with less than 10% of registered NYC voters (41% of 22% of registered Democrats).

de Blasio won the mayoralty with 15% of total registered voters.

The bigger story is how the Working Families Party 'wing' just hijacked Schumer's Democratic machine in NYC.

Dick Durbin has already started using "working families" instead of "middle-class".

The New York GOP has only themselves to blame for ZERO organization.

the Dem machine still exists - the absence of robo-calls for de Blasio was most informative.

Thank you for another great article. I am a firm believer in 'The truth shall set you free," and I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis. I would suggest that there are unfortunate, deeper reasons for the lack of representation amongst blacks, and in many cases whites.

Much of the white population living in New York City live in the boroughs of Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens. Except for pockets of Jewish communities, the ones who grasped that education was a way to move up, have already moved out to the suburbs. Those who never really valued education and still live in the boroughs are not likely to be involved in their children's education, so this transmits from one generation to the next. The exception to this is of course Russian immigrants. So, the 'whites' in the chart are probably Jewish or Russian immigrants, or exceptions, such as myself.

What will be interesting will be the many white families with young children who are educated and have decided to raise their families in NYC - what will be the ratios in the coming years.

As for blacks, I see a similar scenario, i.e. those who valued education and moved up, moved out. The ones still living here, often do because of economic reasons, and they live in the poorer neighborhoods still impacted by social reasons such as fatherless homes.

I know something of this first hand as I lived in the Queensbridge housing projects as a child, and then the Astoria Housing projects. We were one of the last few white families living there. Like many of my black and hispanic friends, I came from a broken home. My father left when I was 2, and my mother really wasn't involved in my education. What saved me was joining the Navy out of High School.

The late Senator Patrick Moynihan wrote about this in his department of labor report where he discussed fatherless families in the black community. He was and still is called a racist for this.

(show less)
(show less)
On the flip side of this, I am married to a Chinese American. My wife was born in Shanghai, but grew up here. Her family came to the US with literally nothing and worked at any job they could find to save enough for her education.

I have 2 children and we drive in every Saturday to Flushing where they study Chinese and music. When my daughter gets below a 95, my wife first asks were is the other 5 points and then tells her that Wan Ching and Sandeep are laughing at her from China/India.
okay..... she's doing Tiger Mom. Fine as far as that goes, but the proper response is that Wan Ching and Sandeep don't care. Otherwise, you instill the notion that the world is overly concerned with your personal dramas and inadequacies. Being socially intelligent and not a drill is still key to being a success, especially when Tiger Sons and Daughters are hardly a novelty anymore.....'>.......
Not quite a tiger mom, but has high expectations. As far as the Wan Ching / Sandeep quote, I agree with her. We spend a lot of time in China each year, and I travel throughout Asia on business. What is scary is the level of competition our children will face in the global marketplace.

While I think that the US is blessed and has a lot going for it: more continuous arable land, deep water ports and navigable rivers than anywhere else, the rule of law, top universities, etc., As a parent, I don't want my kids to take their education for granted.I know what is like to have a parent totally uninvolved.
"There’s nothing wrong with New York that a million Asian immigrants wouldn’t fix really fast."

True, but then race hustlers / community organizers would be out of work.
No, they won't. They've found ways to play the race card there as well. Haven't you noticed? Asian students are now fed a steady diet of "you're oppressed by whites too" in the schools, and they are voting accordingly.

Unemployment/underemployment is so bad right now -- can we please talk about that effect of legal and illegal immigration, instead of just celebrating it and indulging in little stories of ethnic superiority? For every "tiger mom" pushing her kids to Harvard, there are thousands of other asian immigrants, legal and illegal, coming here knowing we're going to subsidize their families, and that's the operating plan from day one.

Let's start imitating one aspect of successful immigrant culture: let's take care of our own first. Outside the world of economics, there's a world of hurt.

I am sorry, but I don't feel sorry for New Yorkers at all when it all comes undone. They voted this jerk in, & deserve all that happens to them. And, a LOT of people will be moving out of NYC by the busloads. And, I don't want to see stories about how the poor New Yorkers are being treated.
De Blasio intends to Detroit New York City.
1 2 3 4 Next View All