Roger L. Simon

CPAC Deflates the ‘Big Tent’ over GOProud

February 27th, 2013 - 1:19 pm

I wasn’t intending to attend CPAC this year, because I’m too busy with writing projects. But even if I were, I would have to reconsider, considering the treatment being given GOProud by the organization’s leaders.

No matter how you stand on same-sex marriage, the exclusion of GOProud from CPAC is perilously close to a suicide pill for the conservative movement and ultimately for the Republican Party.

For young people especially (and I’m almost talking under age forty here) gay marriage is a fait accompli – and this is true for many of those same youths who are completely simpatico with conservatives on fiscal and foreign policy issues.

CPAC is quite simply turning off a large portion of the coming generation while handing their opponents a club to bash them with. They are marginalizing themselves.

The GOP will be forever the party of homophobic rubes who deny people condoms and justify rape.

All of this is nonsense, of course. But CPAC, by deflating the big tent and keeping GOProud out, has given liberal propagandists just what they need to keep the smear campaign going.

To make matters worse, this dispute has been going on for several years now. I was involved in it some time ago, allied with the late Andrew Breitbart. I am stunned that the CPAC leadership is still so obstinate they cannot contain, in the psychological sense, this diversity of opinion.

Indeed, social conservatives, of all people, should understand how most of us form opinions about our personal and emotional lives. Do we want these things to be legislated by Congress at all? Are these private religious and social values properly the realm of the state? Or are they more properly and efficaciously dealt with on a more intimate level by family, friends, clergy and doctors?

They are for me. And I suspect I am not exceptional in that regard. Most of us prefer a realm of privacy in our personal lives without the intrusion of Big Brother.

This would seem to be ground zero for conservatives and libertarians of all strains, united as we are in keeping government out of our fiscal lives to the greatest degree possible.

That is where the “big tent” can and should begin on the right and GOProud has long been a stellar part of that from its inception.

Although I have no particular status in this argument, I would urge the CPAC leadership to reconsider their decision.  They are putting more at jeopardy than they seem to realize.

Politics is largely about perception. Once you are perceived to be bigoted, you are, even if that perception is untrue. In a case like this, where there is an arguable truth, the situation becomes yet more troublesome.

It tarnishes all of us who wish to effectuate genuine change in our country and makes it even more difficult to make that change.

Remember: if you grow up in a society where being gay is socially acceptable, as it demonstrably is in today’s America, and you are a young person who senses that his friends are being discriminated against, being denied that happiness that you can have, fairly or not, you will think the people who practice that discrimination to be loathsome. You will disregard everything they have to say.

"while handing their opponents a club to bash them with. They are marginalizing themselves."

What precisely would change this?

No really I hear this often and I want an answer. What exactly can Conservatives do that would not come with getting clubbed?

I can think of so many ways to marginalize the inclusion of GOProud that it isn't even funny.

Seriously let's just kill the child logic now. No actually those hell-bent on kicking you down will keep kicking you down even if you do things they like.
Support gay marriage, abortion. Hell change the party name to Democrat Light or Democrat #2 while you're at it.

Easy money says it will do jack.
Roger, you have selective memory regarding GOProud and CPAC.

First, GOProud and its members are not banned from CPAC.

Second, GOProud is no longer allowed to sponsor the event because they used it as an opportunity to attack other conservatives and conservative organizations like then Senator Jim Demint, The Heritage Foundation and Liberty University. It was GOProud, not CPAC, that attempted to drive others out of the "Big Tent,"

Third, GOProud is long on talk and fundraising but does little actual work to advance conservative causes. A quick review of their press releases show a leadership intent on feathering their own nests and doing little else. Name one conservative issue on which they have led in the past four years.

Fourth, GOProud has attempted to punish homosexuals who differ with their positions by "outing them" to the press. Do you remember the pollster who worked for Rick Perry? You forgot to mention that the late Andrew Breitbart left the GOProud board over that little stunt.

We have fought this battle before. If you want me to dig out all the links and recite all the ways GOProud has supported the left, then I can do so.
Voters judge themselves with their votes.

If the culture wants to persecute Christians in the name of homosexual acceptance -- and that's what it's doing -- then that is the voters' choice.

Accepting a lie is no way to win. And same-sex marriage is a lie. I don't care if two men say they're married, but there's no way you are going to get me to say they are married.
Personally, I am NOT a supporter of homosexual marriage. However, I don't believe the damn government belongs in the bed room. Nor should government regulate "marriage". I have no problem with "civil unions"...just don't calll it marriage.

On the other hand, I don't care what you do behind your front door. It's just not my business. However, I don't believe that anyone should impose their beliefs upon any other man, woman, or child.

CPAC is making a huge mistake on this one. The GOP isn't known as the party of stupid for no reason...here's yet another one. The GOP has always been a literal "big tent" party...by excluding a small, but vocal minority, they are showing themselves to be every bit as intollerant as Democrats and Liberals are.
Roger L Simon (RLS) seems to be a libertarian, not a conservative. I consider myself a conservative: a libertarian who studied and learned the lessons of History.

RSL seems resign to the current culture when he wrote: "For young people especially (and I’m almost talking under age forty here) gay marriage is a fait accompli". A French expression! It reminds me of a French phrase: "Si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse pouvait!" If youth only knew, if age only could! RSL put in the upper age of 40 as to comfort himself that adults (>18 yo) are embrassing homosexuality then he should too. Going back to the 1970's the education industry has been in full grip of the Progressive/Socialists so most of the 40 y.o.'s have been stewed in Leftism for all their adult lives. Besides, there are teenage conservatives, so there is some antidote against collectivism.

RSL's argumentation is incomplete and asymmetric. RSL asks "Do we want these things to be legislated by Congress at all?" to CPAC and to the PJ media readership. But RSL is NOT asking the same question to GoProud. Is GoProud pushing for same-sex marriage to be a Federal issue? a State issue? RSL does not say.

Major and long-lived nations, religions, and civilizations have all experimented with homosexual "marriage" (yes even the Roman Catholic Church early on). But these experiments were short-lived; from an empirical point of view the same-sex advocates need to find out why. Civilizations, nations are like biological entities: they strive to grow and remain healthy; apparently homosexual "marriage" did not help. Through all of their respective histories, man-woman marriage was and is a constant. I do not mind same-sex marriage to be experimented at the State level. One will have to wait 70-odd years to see the effect.
The ONLY reason that the homsexuality issue becomes a matter of the federal government via the supreme court judiciary is -- The constitutions equal rights clause. When people take it upon themselves to intimidate and otherwise discriminate one class of peoples and their behaviors even to the extent of violent assualts and murder, the constitution and the government mandated to protect ALL facets of constitutional rights of individuals, steps in.

How in the world did you conclude that homosexuality as 'experimentation' has not been 'sustained' throughout ALL social history?
"It's a fool's errand for the GOP to keep trying to out-Democrat the Democrats by trying to prove, over and over, how tolerant, diverse, and politically correct they are."

Last time I looked, the Republicans were a party in power now and then. Like, they have Presidents and stuff. How are those conservative types doing that way?

Better remove the log in your own eye, before pointing out the speck in others.
Like Newt said, the GOP is RINOS from the top on down. When they try to be conservatives they pull something like this.
The under 40 crowd thinks gay marriage is OK not because of school indoctrination, but because millions of parents like me made sure to teach them that being gay isn't a 'wrong' thing. Gay marriage is happening and will happen and there's nothing you're going to do to stop it. It is the right thing to do.

Since supporting gay marriage is clearly the right thing to do, take a wild guess how you people appear to them. Anyone guessing something other than "WRONG" isn't part of the culture that counts.
"And where exactly did *you* learn it hm?"

Music scene, which I used to put myself thru college back in the day. Some of us can figure stuff out without being told what to think. You wouldn't know much about this, so you'll just have to have some faith. :-)

Fighting the gay marriage stuff is pointless, and while I don't care how you waste your time on earth, I tend to find it annoying that you do so with this subject. People tend to wrongly regard your kind as typical of republicans, doing little more than reinforcing the worst possible stereotype, which is effectively yielding any and all initiative to the left. And all for no reason.
Oh but you see this is something textbook.

Winners win. They don't stand around chattering about winning. They just do it.

Now let's also hammer out some of these other things.

I would be less inclined to challenge civil unions.
I have no issue with gays serving in the military.
I have no issue with various monetary issues either as I believe you should be able to control your money as you like.

Those who would paint me as a bigot are to be blunt about as worthy of my attention as an ant underfoot.

Oh and regarding stereotyping: They already do. We have blacks in the party yet we are racists.
We have women in the party yet we are sexist.

So since the record is so very bad exactly what makes you think we'd get a pass for having some misguided, brainwashed, gays in the party?

The above has been echoed for women and blacks.
And where exactly did *you* learn it hm?

Also I'm not certain where you are in saying that something is clearly right since if it was oh so clear there would be little to no opposition.

It may in fact be heading that way but people like you? Oh you just make it easier to keep fighting it.
This article as well as many of the comments conflate the CPAC with the Republican Party. While there is much overlap, they are not the same organizations and each has a different purpose.

I have preached incessantly that the political party needs a big tent. We need every vote we can find for limiting the size and reach of government, whether it comes from gays or Martians (legal, naturalized Martians).

But a group organized around a philosophy is different. It is not running anybody for office, it is not accountable to the public for its beliefs. It may believe that opening the door too wide could dilute its core ideas. Whatever the reason for excluding GOProud and Christie, whom I admire, it's their business, and they don't deserve to be called bigots for that decision in that context.

For what it's worth, I believe "conservative" is a relative term, and Chris is about as conservative as they get when it comes to elected officials from that part of the country.

Concentrate on freedom and liberty, you idiots. Get a political philosophy built around originalist/constructionist interpretations of The Constitution.

'Cause a political philosophy built around hating other people because they don't look like you, think like you or live like you...isn't gonna work. A political philosophy built around religious doctrines and teachings? Yeah, the West has tried all that before. It didn't work. The Middle East and Southwest Asia are still learning that lesson, and we hate them when they do it...

Freedom and liberty. Constitutional construction.

Otherwise, just elect a pope or a preacher or something, discard The Constitution for religion, and be done with it.

'Cause what you're doing now is insanity.
I have to say that this is constistent with Constitutional principle. If the people hold the rights not mentioned in the Federal level, then it is up to the people to decide this issue.

I prefer to err on the side of liberty on this issue. We should be welcoming anybody that values commitment in a marital relationship, rather than exclude them.
Gays don't want marriage to show they're in love. They want it to access government benes. A fiscal conservative would recognize that and reject the stated premise of the gay community. Gays want themselves to be a new entitlement group.
Read the details of the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act just passed by the House. You will find that "Women" are a much broader group (don't think that) than you suspected.
I mostly see two concerns that CPAC might have with GOProud. One, CPAC wants to avoid identity politics. In a perfect world, I would agree. I'd rather not have black conservatives, gay conservatives groups. We'd rather be better served talking about how our different ideas of conservatism by differentiating ourselves by our worldviews. However, the main goal of groups like GOProud seems to be outreach, between gays and conservatives.

Second, I might have the suspicion that GOProud is what could be called a "sexually leftist" group, i.e., they hold the assumption that we all have some sort of right to consequence free sex. Many homosexual groups hold to this pillar of the sexual revolution, but GOProud has denounced the Obamacare individual mandate. Also, no group that that believes in government-enabled, consequence-free sexuality would speak in federalist terms of same sex marriage.
Yeah, it's a bad move for conservatives to deliberately exclude & alienate a group that is showing some courage by trying to associate with your cause.
When one of my liberal friends found out I was a republican one of the 'zingers' was that republicans wanted to crucify gays.

This is why liberals think Iran is conservative. They literally crucify gays and hang uppity women. Which they believe republicans do too.

I had a very good friend who was gay. His biggest regret was that he had no family life like I did. (was because he died. Sometimes gay people die of things other than aids it turns out)

My definition of bigotry is someone who looks at a person who is different and can't see the human being inside of him.

Not many people are really that badly messed up. And they are evenly distributed. First thing I found out in a mixed marriage is racism is pretty evenly distributed.

Its also made me worry how will my kids feel if they read about the millions of angry whites waking up? like angry whites? or the other side?

1 2 3 4 Next View All