Belmont Club

You’ll be sorreeee ….

February 27th, 2013 - 5:54 pm

Forget about the Second Amendment. Forget about the First too. Bob Woodward tells Wolf Blitzer about a love letter he got from the White House.

WOLF BLITZER, CNN: You’re used to this kind of stuff, but share with our viewers what’s going on between you and the White House.

BOB WOODWARD: Well, they’re not happy at all and some people kind of, you know, said, look, ‘we don’t see eye to eye on this.’ They never really said, though, afterwards, they’ve said that this is factually wrong, and they — and it was said to me in an e-mail by a top –

BLITZER: What was said?

WOODWARD: It was said very clearly, you will regret doing this.

BLITZER: Who sent that e-mail to you?

WOODWARD: Well, I’m not going to say.

BLITZER: Was it a senior person at the White House?

WOODWARD: A very senior person. And just as a matter — I mean, it makes me very uncomfortable to have the White House telling reporters, ‘you’re going to regret doing something that you believe in, and even though we don’t look at it that way, you do look at it that way.’ I think if Barack Obama knew that was part of the communication’s strategy, let’s hope it’s not a strategy, that it’s a tactic that somebody’s employed, and said, ‘Look, we don’t go around trying to say to reporters, if you, in an honest way, present something we don’t like, that, you know, you’re going to regret this.’ It’s Mickey Mouse. (The Situation Room, February 27, 2013)

Yes. You’ll be sorreeee….

Juan Williams oddly found the same thing happening to him too. “One of the big things I’ve learned is …”

“I always thought it was the Archie Bunkers of the world, the right-wingers of world, who were more resistant and more closed-minded about hearing the other side,” he said. “In fact, what I have learned is, in a very painful way — and I can open this shirt and show you the scars and the knife wounds — is that it is big media institutions who are identifiably more liberal to left-leaning who will shut you down, stab you and kill you, fire you, if they perceive that you are not telling the story in the way that they want it told.”

It ain’t the way he thought it was.

Why?

Well, Jim Vandehei and Mike Allen at Politico spell it out. “President Barack Obama is a master at limiting, shaping and manipulating media coverage of himself and his White House.” The media companies are in the poorhouse and with Obama able to use social media like the rest of us, the President has the press eating out of his hand.

The results are transformational. With more technology, and fewer resources at many media companies, the balance of power between the White House and press has tipped unmistakably toward the government. This is an arguably dangerous development, and one that the Obama White House — fluent in digital media and no fan of the mainstream press — has exploited cleverly and ruthlessly. And future presidents from both parties will undoubtedly copy and expand on this approach.

“The balance of power used to be much more in favor of the mainstream press,” said Mike McCurry, who was press secretary to President Bill Clinton during the Monica Lewinsky scandal. Nowadays, he said, “The White House gets away with stuff I would never have dreamed of doing. When I talk to White House reporters now, they say it’s really tough to do business with people who don’t see the need to be cooperative.”

Because they lied to you. Now think back. Did you ever suspect, having the slightest soupcon of an idea, the most vague of impressions that they might not have been leveling with you?

Mark Steyn summarized the situation thus. “Essentially, Obama has achieved the same relationship with the press and the media and public information that the Soviet Communist Party had to jam radio transmissions and smash printing presses to achieve. Essentially these guys are volunteering to do for him what they had to be coerced into doing most self-respecting countries, and I think that’s the real issue here.” Some of them are now having regrets. But it may be too little and too late.

It’s like all those other words. “Affordable”. “Free”. “Fair”. “Balanced”. “Transparent”.  Not very apt, are they. The opposite even. It’s not what’s on the label. It’s what’s in the box.  ‘Arbys McFry,’ pal.

YouTube Preview Image

The Three Conjectures at Amazon Kindle for $1.99

Storming the Castle at Amazon Kindle for $3.99

No Way In at Amazon Kindle $8.95, print $9.99

Tip Jar or Subscribe or Unsubscribe

The WH is spinning "you'll be sorry" as in "this issue is so critically important, that you will regret that "you tried to impede it."
For Woodward not to reveal who threatened him is so very cowardly and shows he truly is still just an Obama flunky at heart. If he was the Lion of Journalism he once believed he would be shouting the name from the rooftops. Instead he is shilling for hush-money of a sort, access, position, whatever.
Oh, who did it is out there, was Woodward cannily knew it would be. Rush was just talking about it and Jay Carney had to answer a question in which the transgressor's name was mentioned many times. What was not mentioned,. according to Rush, was that aside from the e-mail that Carney described as being very respectful in tone the guy who sent it then called Woodward on the phone and yelled at him for 30 min.
Totally OT.. I offer the results of my own unofficial survey of the New and Improved PJM, and some conclusions and thoughts.
BC remains the best, by far. I am still struggling with finding old friends (whether I agree with them or not) who were forced to change screen names. Fortunately their personalities show through and over time even my slowing mind will figure them out.
Other columnists are losing focus and are attracting comments from the facebook oriented folk. Even Roger Simon.
BC commenters remain, hands down, the best, most intelligent, thoughtful and most interesting to go fishing with.

Conclusion. The New PJM is signing into the oft discussed American Decline. Blog Candy.

Action. I repeat from previous threads. Can BC find its own space? How is it done? (Not my area of expertise) and... this is new, how can BC be the seed of the revised conservative movement (replacing Buckley)? I would love to form a shadow government aka the Brits. I vote for Subotoi as Sec of Homeland Security.
ta
>>> Can BC find its own space?

I second the motion. Wretchard used to have his own blog space, the quality of postings and comments have not changed either way.
Just google The Belmont Club and you at least find the archives of the old 'fallback' BC. Why fallback? I can let our host explain if he is allowed. Some of us have been reading him that long. Before the fallback.

Or search on The 3 Conjectures and you shall find it.

The 'youll-be-soree' stick is lame. They should remember who has all the weapons, at least for the present.
Following up on Hanscom's FUBAR; I note that the post announcing NEW!!, IMPROVED!!!, EXCITING!!!, BLOGELICIOUS NIRVANA!!!! has fallen off of the page PJ Media home page. 305 comments. With the exception of less than a dozen, most of which could have been sock puppets [can't be sure because everybody's nom d' blog went TANGO UNIFORM]; they uniformly and eloquently tore PJ Media several new bodily orifi not in the original designs.

Not one response. Not one indication that every one of them did not automatically go into the spam file at the PJM Führerbunker. Numerous problems for not only the commenters, but also for the bylined authors who have apparently been kept deliberately in the dark.

I won't say that I will stop commenting at PJ Media, but my frequency has dropped drastically except at BELMONT CLUB. And my judgment of whether reading the rest of the PJM conglomerate is worth the effort is declining.

I will say that 1) I will stay with WRETCHARD as long as he puts up with this dreck, unless PJ Media pushes me out. 2) that if WRETCHARD should find a new home, I sure as hell will follow. 3) I would not be averse to a shadow conservative Blog home, above the intellectual of an MTV reality show, with WRETCHARD hosting the main salon. I realize that would be expensive, and note that LLIII could be Chancellor of the Exchequer. 4) I have been mentioned as possibly being offered the portfolio as Shadow Secretary of Homeland Security. I am honored, but in these times, I would prefer Shadow Attorney General. DHS operates inherently outside the law and Constitution, because that is what the powers that be want. I want to bring those powers back inside the law and Constitution. <*smile*>

Subotai Bahadur
I wnet through a lot of similar baloney on the website The Oil Drum http://theoildrum.com/ during the BP oil spill. the website is under the control of Peak Oil advocates, fervent adherents of Global Warming and Green Energy. They would sporatically shove my posts down the memory hole. But they also were curious as to what was REALLY going on, so many slipped through. Too heavy a hand tips off those who were TV producers and journalists. It was better to put me on IGNORE. But I got into discussions with their resident expert, "Rockman", who respected my thoughts. So people became fascinated by the back and forth comments, just like people are fascinated by the comments here on BC.

In the event, on July 20, 2010, I posted the "Management of Change" document for the static kill, which was ultimately adopted and "assassinated" the Macondo 252 well. And this was with Rockman giving it only a 50-50 chance of success. But then again Rockman was scrupulously honest and told people he was a geologist, not an engineer. He was happy to see it succeeded. So we actually became friends.

I even gave him a science project for his 11 year old daughter, Little Miss Rockman, involving BBIC milk shakes. Very tasty and worthy of multiple trials to prove that the science was vaild. ;-)

Cheer up people!

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
Your disdain for DHS is your primary qualification. When has a cabinet secretary of anything sought to eliminate his own department? DOJ would be the reward...lol.
Other than State, Defense, Treasury, Attorney General and a real Interior Department they are all beyond the pale.

A shadow cabinet post needs it platform. How are you dismantling DHS Secretary Bahadur?

what fun this is.

Walt, can you take on PBR and NEA (the arts) and manage that shut down operation?

Other BC regulars beware, the Draft is Back. Nominations accepted.
ta
THE VORTEX:

The media is finding itself marginalized bit by bit just as other institutions are. Has anyone noticed that even that old ally of the left -- the federal court system -- is being pushed to the side? It too is finding itself, periodically, at odds with Obama's administration. Like a black hole at the center of a galaxy, the Imperial Executive is sucking in and accretting more and more of the functions of governance. The various agencies don't even bother going to judges any more to make legal determinations; they simply ask their own battery of lawyers, and then send their own private armies out to enforce edicts. We've seen this with Napolitano and Sebelius and Holder repeatedly. Other agencies have done the same. The EPA especially.
(My former handle was jms)

I feel like the events of this week have shed some light on one of the unquestioned mysteries of my education. Only two photographs of exist of Franklin D. Roosevelt in his wheelchair. This was not by accident. He didn't want the public to know of his disability, and the news media utterly colluded to conceal his condition. There are stories of a cub news photographer who, at his first Presidential news conference, raised his camera to take a picture only to find his lens blocked by another photographer, who explained to him that he wasn't allowed to take that picture.
I never really got a satisfactory explanation from my teacher. His explanation had to do with the dignity of the office, that the press lived in a "different age" (I was in high school in the early 1980s) where they showed deeper respect for the President.
It became a little clearer this week. It's all about lies and trust, and it's the same thing with Barack Obama. It isn't about protecting the President, or the office. It's about being trusted to protect the lie. For Barack Obama to continue feeding a continual stream of lies to the press and having them regurgitate it back they must be willing to lie about EVERYTHING. The last thing the Obama administration can afford is for individual members of the press to start deciding for themselves which parts of the administration's proclamations are truth and which are lies. If that starts to happen, the whole thing falls apart.
Thus, the litmus test. As that cub Roosevelt photographer learned, he was expected FROM DAY ONE to join in the stream of lies, by not reporting what he saw with his OWN EYES. From that moment on, he could be trusted not to question what he was told. It's like the punchline to the old joke. "We've already established what sort of a woman you are. Now we are negotiating on the price."

That's what this is all about. Filling cracks in the dam. Bob Woodward just made a big crack in the dam, and sent the White House scrambling just at their most vulnerable moment -- as they prepare to use the full power of withholding government service to cause ordinary Americans as much pain and suffering as possible tomorrow morning. It seems too much to hope that this is the moment that starts to unravel the administration. I feel that something has to give. However, Roosevelt made it work and became our first President-For-Life, and we all know that Barack Obama considers Roosevelt one of only two or three Presidents greater than himself.
Woodward is supposed to be such a crack investigative reporter. Indeed, he (along with Bernstein) invented the genre.

The crimes of the Nixon administration (including the coverup) were miniscule compared to those of the Obama regime. WHERE THE HELL HAS THE WORLD'S CRACK INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER BEEN THESE LAST SIX YEARS??? The reputation of the legacy media "speaking truth to power" has been totally decimated. In my opinion, Woodward's reputation is garbage.
That's what I've been wondering.

For that matter, where was he during the Clinton Administration?
It's rich that Woodward who made his bones speaking truth to power and inspiring a whole generation of commie-symp "journalists" should be the one who gets kicked to the curb by the Obama mob. Full circle and all that.
Exactly what I think.

Last night Obama started to backtrack on the Sequester Armageddon.

He said that "You might not notice it right away, unless you are emplyed by the DoD or live near a military base or have a child you loses a slot in Head Start, but it will be a huge hit to the economy."

This brings to mind an old friend of mine. He swore that the Y2K computer bug would mean The End of Everything. When on the morning of 1 Jan 2000 he got an e-mail from me saying "How come you received this?" He responded that well, The End would take a while. Systems would begin failing and in about 3 months we would have raw sewage in the streets, no gas, no electric power, and minority groups "going shopping in your living room."

Nothing happened, although I did notice that the TV Gudie website showed the listings for 1 Jan 1900. However, they were indeed accurate, only Milton Beryl and Captain Kangeroo were listed.

Hope the radio stations all play "Eve of Destruction" tonight. And tomorrow the TV stations can run "Groundhog Day" marathons.

A friend of mine who works as a civilian for the USN says he has been told they will be going to 4 day weeks and his salary will be reduced by 20%. He is not terribly worried about it; it will give him more time to pursue his post-Federal Employment career plans.

However there is one thing clever about Obama's claims of the Sequster disaster. All over the country counties and other municipalities are facing severe budget crunches, the Porkulous funds having run out and real estate prices failed to recover. Here, they are planning to close 3 schools. The typical Obama voter will conclude that it was the Sequester that caused it.

Uh, RWE3, I'm all about hammering aitch (H) over the sequester panic. But I really, REALLY wish people would stop comparing THIS "big lie" to the Y2K issue. (You aren't the first to associate them, btw.)
I was a major network engineer on Y2K. In fact, I was warning people as early as 1979 that it would happen. It goes like this. In the late 1990s, PC networks, ntm the Internet, were fledglings and the world was still pretty much run by mainframe computers. (Read, IBM; Read, Big Brother!)
To save precious hard drive (DASD) space - A 200MB hard drive could cost $5,000 or more on mainframes. - the year field in dates was a 2 digit number. Without remediation, when the year '00' rolled over, a computer wouldn't be able to subtract any previous year from 00. (EG. 00 - 55) The computer would return an error and the computation would stop.
Y2K WAS a big deal because there were literally 10's of millions of lines of code that contained 2 digit date fields. And with computer programs controlling everything from the volume of gas pumped out by a butane pumping station to the amount of interest being compounded on your IRA or CD, the antiquated software would simply crash. Armageddon? No. (Skynet didn't control the launch codes, for example.) But your bank account or paycheck? Purchasing/shipping systems? They, and all computer dependent systems, would have simply quit working.
The Y2K initiative - I was involved in correcting the Social Security System - was to go meticulously through the antiquated code and expand the date fields.
Long story short, you are correct - in one sense. You didn't see a problem come 2000. But if it hadn't been for the Y2K team, all hell would have broken loose on many levels. To say different is to imply, by way of simile, that if you didn't do YOUR job, your company wouldn't be able to function. Which is to say, the world-wide Y2K team didn't save us from a holocaust or "sewage in the streets." But it prevent many adverse problems from occuring in the first place.
This is to set the record straight. Further, ordinarily this isn't a hill I would be willing to die on. But with the uber-liibs parsing every word we say, spinning our every thought, we might be a bit more careful to understand certain concepts before we use them as attack vessles. (Or simply to gloat!) Friends?
Oh, I'm not saying Y2K was not a problem for some things. Why, Cape Canaveral even got a brand new test range scheduling system delivered in late 1998 - and it was not Y2K compliant, which was an instantly unacceptable problem, since it was, after all, a scheduling system, which requires dealing with the future as a primary objective.

But it was nowhere as big a problem as the wild eyed Art Bell types claimed. According to them it was so enormous a problem that there was no way to fix it. Not only mainfarmes but PC's and even things like valve and process controllers would go catatonic when 2000 came up.

And people were indeed working to fix it where it made a difference - and when the TV Guide online listings and stuff like that went down, there were even people that could fix those things, too, in real time.

My wild-eyed friend has an MS in Electrical Engr with a special emphasis in computers. I'm just a Mech Engr with only a B.S But I fix stuff, lots of stuff, have my whole life, from F-111's to my own light aircraft to WWII vintage radio sets. My Dad was a mechanic and my grandfather worked on steam locomotives, so I think its natural. And I know there are people out there like you, fixing other stuff.

My friend does not know how to fix anything and never tries to do so. So to him it's hopeless. He may know how to code but he'll never use it to fix anything.

And that's the situation relative to sequester. Overall, it's a piddling amount of money. I used to work budgets in the Pentagon and that's what they do there. You can fix it to minimize the impact if you try. Or you can hold your breath, turn blue and declare it all hopeless, like the Y2K crazies.
Your comment currently includes words that are not allowed.

BINGO! I've hit a nerve. That is almost as telling as waterboarding the terrorist.
You are not allowed to use the names of WH officials in a context of comparing today to the BIG STORY of the Ford administration.

Ix-Nay!
Don't use

gate water
ney che
feld rums
ton clin
Obama wants to throw Bob Woodward's legacy, The Privacy Act Amendments of 1974 to FOIA, on to "the ashheap of history".

For all the talk about the egos of politicians, they pale in comparision to those of "journalists". Walter Cronkite was once "The Most Trusted Man in America". Dan Rather didn't quite match up (SNARK!). And now FOX NEWS is whipping the Big 3 broadcast network anchors. Katie Couric is off doing something in an Oprah Lite mode. They and theIr huge salaries are going down the tube. Can you say "Keith Olbermann"?

What the Lame Stream Media desperately need is a

HUGE STORY WITH BANNER HEADLINES!

Be nice and throw them a bone.

HOUSE IMPEACHES ERIC HOLDER!

NEWS AT ELEVEN
The total number of views for all cable news networks is less than the lowest ranked of the Alphabet networks. I would hardly call that Fox News kicking their but.
1 2 3 Next View All