Faster, Please!

What if It’s Not About North Korea?

April 5th, 2013 - 12:13 am

I don’t really follow North Korea (mostly, I try to stay up-to-date on a few countries that begin with the letter “I”), but it seems to me that we are looking at recent events in the wrong context. North Korea is a charter member of the Axis of Evil, and works hand in glove with the other surviving regime of that infamous trinity, Iran. I’ve been writing for years about the intimate relationship between the two, ranging from North Korean assistance in digging tunnels in Iranian mountains and in the Tehran subway system, to Iranian cooperation with North Korean missile and nuclear programs.

Let’s just say that they work together a lot. So when I see the North Koreans jumping up and down and threatening to nuke us, I ask myself what’s in it for the Iranians? And I add the others in the global anti-American alliance. What’s in it for the Chinese? The Russians? The Venezuelans, Bolivians, Ecuadorians and Nicaraguans? Because all these guys coordinate so many of their activities that I can’t understand important events in any one of them without putting those events in the big context. When I see the Russians and the Chinese fighting against anti-Iranian sanctions, I remind myself that they, along with the Latin Americans, are in a banking network with Iran. When the Iranians sit down to negotiate about their nuclear program, I ask myself: what do the Russians want? And so it goes.

To be sure, it’s hard to find anyone this side of James Jesus Angleton who agrees with me, and he’s dead. But still, why do you think the North Koreans are threatening thermonuclear war these days? Yes, they may really be planning to attack us, but if I were the head of an intelligence service I would ask my smartest people to test an hypothesis: what if it’s misdirection? What if there trying to get us to focus on them, when something else is in the works someplace else?

Don’t ask me what the something else is, or the location of the someplace else. I don’t know. It’s only a theory after all. And I agree that the North Koreans may well be crazy enough to attack us. But if this is all part of a strategic operation by the anti-American alliance, then we should carefully go down our list of likely targets, and see what the major terrorists are up to.

I would ask my smartest people to pay special attention to people and communications moving north from Venezuela, where a very important election campaign has just begun to choose the successor to Hugo Chavez. The bus driver who served as his vice president would benefit from some dramatic event inside the United States, and the Russians, Iranians and Chinese are actively working for his victory.

However this all turns out, the basic point is valid and important: I don’t think we can understand the world anymore if we take it country by country. We have to look at bigger pictures.

(Thumbnail on PJM Homepage assembled from multiple Shutterstock.com images.)

Michael, ....what do China, Russia, Iran...and all their little satellite offshoots see, hear and smell when they look at Obama, Biden, Kerry, Hagel, Napolitano and Brennan?

The see incompetence, they hear weakness and they smell fear.

Now, if any of them were to rattle, prattle and threaten battle...it would have worldwide immediate repercussions. But, if they have the pudgy little 20 something do it, they can gauge the reaction. He's a stalking horse.

Not a chance in Haiti or Hades that Dennis Rodman's playmate would jab a thumb in China's eye.

They get a free look at the chessboard, playing against the American team that can't figure out how to move the pieces...or even what they are named. And, frankly...don't have a reflexive instinct to protect America as quickly as they would criticize and slander her. They AGREE with our enemies, more than our patriots.

The axis of evil has changed its center fulcrum. It's now inside the gates.

As an aside, I understand you are coming into town to give a lecture. Would love to see you there. Stay safe, Michael. We need you out there.
Impossible to say what the Norks are up to but ever since this whole thing got started the word "misdirection" has been screaming out loud. There is indeed something else going on and with our current leadership and the degradation of our population I doubt the outcome will be good for the USA. I think our enemies have seen that in a few years we will be oil sufficient and have decided that now is the time to strike us on the economic front. The loss of the dollar as the medium of trade for oil will lead to massive inflation here. Russia stands to gain big time. China I don't know about because they have lent us lots of money and if they can't get it back and can't sell us products because we are too poor what do they gain?
Maybe enforced oil transfers from us to them probably.

I have worried about, in this order, loss of freedom here, massive inflation and Russian aggression more than anything else for the last 10 years.
(in my view) What should really, really concern you...and keep you up at nights is...the maim steam media and those in the executive branch really appear not to "get it"( what Mr Ledeen wrote)...So we are likely to blunder into war...but since the goal is: "nice long lasting war and sell lots of weapons" (c me 1991) Obama is the perfect president!

I believe that China and N Korea play "good cop bad cop"...I think N Korea, Syria, and Iran do in fact have an integrated military industrial complex and military; so Assad going down naturally brings reinforcements from N Korea (and Iran and China and Russia et al)

And we sent all our manufacturing jobs and factories to China..tisk tisk

And you think "they" won't attack the USA? China attacks our infrastructure every day: stealing in cyber space, and positioning themselves to sabotage our networks...and we keep sending them all our factories and jobs...

I really believe China plans (would like) to repopulate the USA with Chinese...

Or... we're just underestimating the stupidity of a typical "idiot-son".
Hanlon's razor. But then again, we dare not take the chance.

Actually, if Dr. Ledeen is correct, then things are a bit better, because the others may restrain MK a bit. If the USSR had been NK, we would all be dead by now. The reason we survived is the while the Commies were evil, there was a limit to their derangement.
Mr Ledeen makes a valid point about the cooperation between North Korea and Iran regarding nuclear programs being suspicious; what is very, very strange is that this pragmatic cooperation apparently involves a non-Muslim nation as a co-operator of presumed nuclear advancement, hence jointly against America?

Then, we're in for a two-front war, with the need to split our forces between the North Koreans and the Central Asian Iranians...and by Muslim-allied-extension the whole of the Central/West Asian mainland against us Americans.

We need to search long and hard in History to find such a war involving such radically different Allies as the Central Asian Persians and the Confucians and Buddhists and other religious influences of East Asia, merging in North Korea.

Maybe belligerent Muslims will inherently seek strange bedfellows?....the troublesome Muslims being our main enemy....as they themselves keep reminding us. The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

Top this off with our current elected....[emphasis: elected].....leadership, and we're [I keep saying] in a helluva mess.

The problem is that little boy with his toys may accidently overplay his hand, and then we still will have a crisis on our hands whether the other countries are patting him on the back or not. We are forced to take NK somewhat seriously while keeping the other eye on the middle east...just hope the golf game is only 9 holes that day.
Michael Ledeen, yet another rocket surgeon who actually thinks this about anything more complex than Lil' Kim's need for money and loot.
to: jkbrent (most humbly speaking) As the most correct intelligence analyst of the last 34 years I can conclude two things, with reasonable certainty, from your post!

1) jkbrent watches cnn and msnbc and generally speaking has an extremely negative view of fox(y) news...

2)...and jkbrent voted for Obama in both elections!

..."money or loot" is not likely a motive since these "events" cost N Korea more than shipments of "money and loot"...
You may be right; ususally Hanlon's razor is useful. However, I'm not sure we can blow our whole wad betting on it.
Interesting. What's Obama's reaction to those chemical weapons used in Syria a few days ago?
North Korea will shoot itself with a scud. Obama will apologize,surrender,and pony up several hundred billion in reparations. Now go back to your video games.
Why not? We apologized to Turkey for trying to murder our soldiers.
"an hypothesis"--? OMG. Tell me it's just a typo.
I think the misdirection theory is very plausible. The first thing that comes to mind for me, though, is that it's misdirection from the nuclear development program in Iran. They've been a "year away" from having a bomb for how many years now? They must be getting damned close to having a functioning bomb, or already have one, and don't want to be noticed prepping for something big, like the nuking of Israel or the US.
Greetings:

Ever since I read Samuel P. Huntington's "The Clash of Civilization..." early in this century, I've had the following image of the USofA in the world. Our country is like the lion in one of those "nature" films that's trying to protect its meat from a pack of non-laughing hyenas. As the lion tries to fend off the nips and tacks of his enemies, his females are near-paralyzed by all the confusion and like our erstwhile Euro-allies contribute next to nothing to resolving the fray. While no hyena would go claw-to-claw with the King of the Beasts, their teamwork eventually succeeds in causing the lion to abandon both his meal and the field.

When my father was teaching me to defend myself and mine, one of his bedrocks theories was that "multiples are always tricky." But still, one would think that one or two of our brainiac rulers would have this figured by this time.

The see incompetence, they hear weakness and they smell fear.

The axis of evil has changed its center fulcrum. It's now inside the gates.

"They AGREE with our enemies, more than our patriots.
The axis of evil has changed its center fulcrum. It's now inside the gates."

I very much agree with that statement. They have been inside the gates for a long time but now they are in control and the voting public decided to keep them in control. We reap what we sow.

I do disagree with you when you say that the Norks would not jab a thumb in China's eye. Maybe not but a rabid dog does not care who he bites.
1 2 3 Next View All