The 10 Best ‘Ice Bucket Challenge’ Videos

I've watched an embarrassing number of these over the last week and this is my personal top ten.

Bethany Mandel

August 20, 2014 - 9:41 am

By now you’ve probably seen 1,000 ice bucket challenge videos auto-play on your Facebook newsfeed by now. Everyone is doing it — kids, pets, celebrities, politicians, you name it. Yesterday I heard my neighbor do it on our front porch, but as I heard him explain, they didn’t have a bucket, so he used a “very cold” can of Coke instead. I’ve seen a few outtake lists, where instead of people having a bucket of water poured over them, the person pouring instead had the entire bucket full of water dropped onto their heads — it was painful to watch, I can’t imagine how painful it was to experience. The challenge has some haters, namely people annoyed at how many of those taking the challenge aren’t donating, and are instead wasting water. This meme popped up in my newsfeed this morning:

10440756_10152320549592499_8693476260726196411_n

To which I say: Lighten up. The ice bucket challenge has gone viral like no other charitable cause I’ve ever seen, and has netted millions of dollars for ALS charities, over $15 million at last count (compared with less than $50,000 during the same period last year). I have no dog in this argument: I haven’t done the ice bucket challenge personally (please don’t nominate me, I’m poor and really dislike cold water), but I really applaud those participating and donating.

You need to add another...the Foo Fighters spoof on "Carrie" is pretty epic.
I saw an article that a former NFL player who is in his 30s, Tim Shaw, who was diagnosed with it and told the world for the first time in his ice bucket video:

Why is this considered a "challenge"? There is nothing challenging or difficult about throwing cold water on yourself. This reinforces what children we are.
"The challenge has some haters, "

Probably not. I haven't taken a survey, mind you, so I can't say this with scientific certainty, but common sense certainty says that there is nobody who actually hates this fad.

Calling disagreement or disapproval "hate" is a ghetto lie.

Don't be a ghetto liar.

Ms. Mandel...nice, I enjoyed this, especially the GWB one and the Kennedy one.