Hannah Sternberg

July 17, 2014 - 8:00 am

Millennials are growing up fast, but are their apartments? There’s a certain point in your life when you wake up and realize you don’t want your home to look like a college dorm anymore. But sometimes it’s hard to put your finger on exactly how to make a place look grown-up, while still retaining your unique sense of style. Having a grown-up looking place doesn’t mean you have to lose all of your own flair; there are a few general ideas that you can put your own twist on, whatever your taste. It all boils down to having an apartment where you can make people comfortable. Here are ten steps to get started.

In Colorado and Washington, can you get a pot plant instead of a potted plant?
If you can afford an apartment big enough for all this crap, you should save your money and get a house instead. I spend more time working and doing things outside my tiny studio than worrying about decorating a piece of property that I don't and never will own. Maybe I'm the only millenial who's not satisfied with being so "modern" and living like the characters in Friends.
Well, part of the point is it ISN'T a lot of stuff. It's just a few things that embody a central principle: that a place feels more like home when you adopt a welcoming, gracious attitude toward anyone who enters it, which includes making them comfortable. The same holds true for a home you own. If you don't have space for generosity, you have a tiny apartment indeed. It's not a very modern idea at all -- in fact, I've been informed that generosity has been around for quite some time.
I would add going down to your local home/craft store and buying a few inexpensive framed prints and some tribal wood carvings will dress the place up no end. I can't tell you how many nice houses I've seen on real estate sites with nothing on the walls.
Great advice, Hannah! It doesn't matter where you live, there's always room for graciousness and hospitality. It does take a little time to make that transition from college chic to a grown-up apartment. I love your tips!
These are good tips. I've gone backwards and now have an apartment that feels like a dorm, with no couch and few decorations. It's actually nice to be unencumbered.