Depressed? Here Are the 20 Best Shows & Movies on Netflix for Mood Improvement

One of my friends had a lousy week. Here are my answers to her request for viewing suggestions.

Dave Swindle

July 13, 2014 - 8:30 am

hannahs

Dear Hannah,

I’m so sorry for your troubles this week. I hope this list can help. Here’s some streaming sunshine with potential to provoke more positive moods via a variety of genres.

20. New Girl

I was very shocked at just how effective, funny and likable this sitcom was. Starring Zooey Deschanel as a perky, klutzy young woman moving in with three guys, the show has a sense of lightness and Deschanel is immensely sympathetic and entertaining. I don’t really watch sitcoms these days, but New Girl is done so well and is so consistently funny episode-to-episode that it’s worth checking out.

Two movies:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Strictly Ballroom
1 week ago
1 week ago Link To Comment
ATHF and Squidbillies, but no mention of The Venture Brothers?

And if we're willing to watch cartoons that aren't on Adult Swim, Netflix has Archer and Batman: The Brave and the Bold for goofy silver age fun.
1 week ago
1 week ago Link To Comment
Archer is great. Haven't started season 4 yet though.
1 week ago
1 week ago Link To Comment
Venture Brothers never did much for me.
1 week ago
1 week ago Link To Comment
I haven't seen very many these movies, so I can't comment on them. Although I will say that Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels was really good.

I don't know about the Avengers being the best superhero movie. I'm not much of a fan of comic book adaptations, because most of them are not very good and are not true to the characters and plots DC and Marvel developed. Anyone who collected comics as a kid knows that. I will say that Christian Bale's Batman is the best so far. Iron Man and the Amazing Spiderman were relatively well done. Other than that, most superhero movies suck.

One film that I've seen recently that was enoyable and uplifting is Foolproof. It's an independent film out of Canada about three twenty-somethings, two guys and a girl, who have an odd hobby. They plan elaborate foolproof heists. They don't actually commit these crimes. Instead, they have this loft set up so they can practice their plans. However, unknown to the guys, the girl keeps a diary of their plans, and this evil criminal breaks into her apartment, steals the diary, then blackmails the trio into stealing tens of millions worth of bearer bonds. They have to come up with an elaborate plan, because they're up against top-notch security and they've never actually gone through with one of their plans.

I won't spoil the ending. Suffice to say that they pull off the heist, turn the tables on the criminal, and drive away celebrating. It's a really fun an uplifting movie, with many twists and turns. I highly recommend it.
1 week ago
1 week ago Link To Comment
Dear Dave,

I don't know about the movies and shows and how exquisitely great they were, but I do know Star Trek a bit. And I've got to say it's obvious that you never saw Star Trek in context. In the context of the times, it was an amazing and inspiring show. Each episode was a crafted like a play rather than a TV show, and more like a story than a dry demonstration of digital technology.

With that preface, no -- NO -- Star Trek have ever some CLOSE to the original. Even the only decent Star Trek movie, The Wrath of Khan, was only good out of nostalgia, imagination and forgiveness. (I honestly think I have never heard a line as pukingly dumb as "the animal enters through the ear and Wraps Around the Cerebral Cortex..."

And every other show seems to have been along the nerdy, techy, psuedo-cerebral, philosophically infantile, scientifically puerile, falsely dramatic -- wait for it -- initializing-computers-sir! conflict. Will the computers intialize?! Or will they jam?!!

I mean, come on. The Next Generation, a show philosphically based on a super-evolved, omniscient, hyper-powerful being that can reset the center of mass of the universe but can't out-think Picard? Give me a break. The Meaning of Life? (with pedantic anger) "To improve ourselves!" Into what? For what purpose?

Deep Space Nine was perhaps the most wild-west of the group, which did resemble the original Wagon Train to the Stars Star Trek concept. But even then it was a weak rehash, and insulted the intelligence of the audience. Maquis? Really? They thought no one would think this was derivative?

Voyager was kind of half-nice, until they started rewriting history with each new episode travelling back in time.

Enterprise could have been great but turned quickly into a don't bother to watch this episode because -- it really doesn't matter at all, we're going to go back in time(!!) next week and redo it anyway.

The only Star Trek show, series or movie, other than the original that was worth anything was Galaxy Quest. Now that was Star Trek! But then again, you had to be there.
(show less)
(show less)
and amazing how much of original star trek ideas, which seemed so futuristic are state of the art today, and today's ideas make a lot of Star Trek's novelty look very old.
1 week ago
1 week ago Link To Comment
I fondly remember my Star Tac flip phone.
1 week ago
1 week ago Link To Comment
It's hard to top Lucy for lightening moods.
Taming of the Shrew (Burton & Taylor) what can you say about a 600 year old comedy that still works? Still makes you laugh. Still makes you think. Characters you can still recognize.
May I recommend for the purpose of feeling better or just anytime you want to watch a different kind of movie:

"Galaxy Quest" for the intersection of sci-fi and very clever comedic writing. Can't help but feel good for these washed up sci-fi series actors who are transformed by a "real" experience in outer space. The alien Thermians are a real trip - kudos to the writers who created their qualities and personalities.

"Broadway Danny Rose". Woody Allen at his quirky best (IMO) but in the end very heart warming and inspirational in a quiet and understated way.
I hadn't seen your post yet when I wrote mine.
Happy to see another sci-fi aficionado who appreciated that movie.
1 week ago
1 week ago Link To Comment
You lost me at "the office" -- could never get into that show.

My laugh-out-loud favorite is "Home Alone". And then after that, if I want to snuggle comfortably into life and feel warm and fuzzy, "Shrek" does it for me every time.

I'm also not an Avengers fan (except for the original with Steed and Mrs. Peel), but love the Americanism of Independence Day. Will Smith dragging a dead alien across the desert while ranting in triumph is a Very Good Thing indeed.
"Jackie Brown" is a jewel. Pam Grier is the queen of the movie but Robert Forrester (spelling?), Samuel Jackson, Robert De Niro and all the others knock it out of the park. Best soul music in a movie award for certain!
Aside from "Duck Soup" which is a classic I've only seen "That Girl" but that's ok Zooey is enough to keep me content. Her eyes are just amazing.
I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 1989 World Series earthquake - was right downtown and my life was pretty disrupted for a few days. After the excitement was over, many of us slipped into a down period.

My remedy was to rent the Clark Gable oldie "San Francisco" about the 1906 quake. Perked me right up! They got through much worst than we and carried on just fine.
1 2 Next View All