Falling In Love With a Nerdy, 13-Year-Old Jewish Girl Who Walks Through Walls…

A favorite character answers yesterday's Pop Culture Debate prompt on the best comic book universe: Marvel for the Win, Obviously.

David S. Bernstein

May 8, 2014 - 5:08 pm

Sh27

In a discussion over at PJ Media Lifestyle people (“Nerds”) are debating the oldest question in comics: Marvel or DC?

Like most children of the ’70s, I preferred the irreverent, super-cool Marvel heroes over their overly-earnest, one dimensional DC counterparts. Spiderman over Batman… Thor over Superman… Iron Man over Wonder Woman…

But by the time I was into my pre-teens, comics had become an afterthought; I filled my leisure time with more mature pursuits like sports, D&D, music, and Mattel Electronic Football. Until one day a friend introduced this nerdy, 13 year-old Jewish boy to a nerdy, 13 year-old Jewish girl named Kitty Pryde. Like countless other teens I fell in love, and the X-Men forever cemented Gen-X’s loyalty to Marvel through the greatest literary device of the late 20th century — the Hot Nerdy Chick.

Still in wide use today, I might add.

****

cross-posted from Liberty Island

image via/ Marvel Wikia

David S. Bernstein is the COO of Liberty Island Media. To support LI or pre-order books visit SupportLibertyIsland.pubslush.com.

Not just nerdy Jewish boys....:)
Back in the day, I loved Excalibur when its lineup was Kitty (and Lockheed!), Captain Britain, Meggan, Nightcrawler and Rachel Summers. Kitty was the bright, earnest, just-goofy-enough young girl I would have liked any daughter to love as a kindred spirit. (Good grief, I haven't read 'Mojo Mayhem' in years. Really should correct that.)
*deleted*
That's some rack for a 13 year old.
Well, the target audience is 14-year-olds boys, after all.

P.S.

The same (in a different way) goes for science fiction. The "classic" story tells of how the nerdy hero, through superhuman efforts, eventually makes contact with intelligent but utterly alien beings...

...girls, in other words.

(I'm not patronizing; heck, we've all been there.)
You stay away from my gal, Martin
Mercifully, that's probably not the case. Though the character started out as a 13-year-old, since the '90s or so she's been at least a high-school graduate, and her age has hovered more or less around twenty (depending on the writer).
Yeah, I really hope that is the "after high school" shot.
I've agreed with you on some things and disagreed on others but i see that you are really a man after my own heart.
First, Kitty Pryde has actually aged significantly during her time in the comics. At one time more than is usual for characters, but I haven't followed X-Men for many years. As such, she can easily be 16+ there.

Second, comics only feature two chest sizes for female character: Children's Training Bra and Stripper's DD. That's it. Certainly it makes things easier for lingerie merchants in comic book universes, but it can be somewhat disconcerting when they insist on drawing teens, even more when they fail to properly coordinate continuity and a character flips between the two sizes from week to week and title to title. Kitty Pryde did that quite a bit back in the day.
I've heard that it is really hard to consistently visually distinguish a cartoon woman from a cartoon feminine looking male, unless you exaggerate the curves. That would seem to explain why their two settings are "I'm a boy" and "I'm a fertility goddess from ancient Sumeria."