Argh: Cat Stevens Allowed To Enter U.S. for Hall of Fame Ceremony

Rock and Roll induction shaping into one of the weirdest ever.

Kathy Shaidle

April 9, 2014 - 2:00 pm

HOF2014

It’s bad enough that Cat Stevens — a.k.a. Muslim weirdo Yusuf Islam — will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Thursday night.

(Don’t blame me — I tried to stop it…)

But I was hoping he’d at least be banned from entering America, based on his habit of wishing aloud for the murder of Salman Rushdie and such.

No luck there, either. Stevens performed on Jimmy Fallon’s show last night, so we know he’s in the country.

I can only wish that fellow inductee Gene Simmons of KISS — being Jewish and all — will at least diss Stevens during the show.

Of course, KISS have already been dissing the Hall, and each other, daily in the run up to the event.

(Yesterday, Paul Stanley accused Ace Frehley and Peter Criss of anti-Semitism [!?]. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.)

Andrew Loog Oldham, who is being honored as The Rolling Stones’ original manager, says he’s not showing up because, among other things, he says the ceremony isn’t as much raunchy fun any more now that it’s televised.

Meanwhile, surviving Nirvana members seem to be hinting that, for their Hall induction performance, Joan Jett will be taking the place of their obviously absent lead singer, Kurt Cobain.

Now, I have all the time in the world for Joan Jett, despite her asinine politics, but if true, this decision is just… strange.

Joe Strummer died shortly before The Clash’s 2003 induction, and no one in the band said, “Hey, let’s just shove Patti Smith up there instead.” They stayed classy and didn’t perform.

Having said all this, will I watch this stupid show tomorrow night? Probably.

After all, sometimes something fun happens…

(KATHY SHAIDLE is a blogging pioneer who runs FiveFeetOfFury, now in its 14th year. She's been called "one of the great virtuoso polemicists of our time," by MARK STEYN. Her NEW book is Confessions of A Failed Slut (Thought Catalog, 2014).

Perhaps because "Yusuf" has called for the murder of people with whom he disagrees. Some enlightenment.
We need a douchebag hall of fame.
Cat Stevens = Rock & Roll like Boone's farm = fine wine.
They both go well with pork chops.
For me, the day the music died was when I heard that Linda Ronstadt's Parkinson's had stopped her from singing.

Wait, Cat Stevens converted to Islam and what? Became a terrorist? Why should he be prevented from entering the US? I bet he's a secret Freemason...
"I'm being followed by a mad mullah, mad mullah, mad mullah."
If Grand Funk Rail Road (yes i am that old)still hasn't been nominated,the whole thing is a fraud.
Stomp your foot, nimrod52.

Considering the last few years inductees into the RRHOF, I'm thinking that both the Nobel Prize and the RRHOF have both lost any semblance of merit, when you consider Obozo and Krugman's awards.
Has Eddie Money been nominated yet?
Paul Stanley being disrespectful? *Gasp*

My God, since when is rock supposed to be respectful?

Twelve o'clock, I gotta rock
There's a truck ahead, lights starin' at my eyes
Oh my God, no time to turn
I got to laugh 'cause I know I'm gonna die
Why

Hope I die before I get old.
KISS is rock? I thought they were The Monkees without a TV show.
I NEVER understood what anybody ever saw in KISS. When they first came out, my first thought was, if they had any talent they wouldn't have to wear those ridiculous costumes. To be considered a Hall of Fame band, shouldn't they have more than one song anybody can remember?
Or talent. I saw Kiss once, early in their careers. Their music ranks as the single worst batch of songs by a professional group I've ever seen. Not quite as bad as rap or disco but equally lacking in any musical merit.
Cat Stevens is so screwed. He should have checked with The Iman

--Experiments have confirmed that the music of today is such that it does not only affect the brain, but each and every organ of one`s body. It is also proved that music affect`s one`s emotions, increases arousal in terms of alertness and excitement and also leads to various physiological changes in the person. In a psychology experiment, it was found that listening to moderate type of music increased one`s normal heart beat, whilst listening to rock music the heart beat increased even further, yet people claim that music has no effect.[2]

The messages of today`s music follow a general theme of fornication, drugs and other immoralities.

Islam does not only prohibit adultery and immoralities, but also those things that may lead to them. Music is a cause for arousing illicit desires of an individual. It leads a person to immoral acts. Therefore, Islam takes the preventive measure rather than suffer the consequences.--

I remember reading a book on the partition of India in 1947 which described the bloodshed that resulted. Anywhere from 200,000 to two million people died in that particular event. Many of the attacks by Muslims on Hindus or Sikhs occurred because Muslims were offended by being able to hear music from their Hindu or Sikh neighbors.

Since Cat Stevens has apparently been a Muslim for a very long time and apparently scorns music, I am astonished that he would even want, let alone accept, an award for music that he stopped doing after the 1960s.

Perhaps his Muslim brothers persuaded him to accept the award so that he could poke a finger in the eye of the music world and have a soapbox to denounce non-Muslims?
1 2 Next View All