What Is the Best Tea? And Where Can I Get Some?

Have a product you want reviewed at PJ Lifestyle? Contact me at DaveSwindlePJM [@] gmail.com.

Dave Swindle

March 25, 2014 - 10:00 am

What is the best #tea and where can I get some? A question I submit to the universe. #experiment

I’m going to begin the search and report on my results here at PJ Lifestyle. Where to begin to move beyond the basics of grocery store English Breakfast and Earl Grey? Leave you suggestions in the comments or get in touch with me via email.

David Swindle is the associate editor of PJ Media. He writes and edits articles and blog posts on politics, news, culture, religion, and entertainment. He edits the PJ Lifestyle section and the PJ columnists. Contact him at DaveSwindlePJM @ Gmail.com and follow him on Twitter @DaveSwindle. He has worked full-time as a writer, editor, blogger, and New Media troublemaker since 2009, at PJ Media since 2011. He graduated with a degree in English (creative writing emphasis) and political science from Ball State University in 2006. Previously he's also worked as a freelance writer for The Indianapolis Star and the film critic for WTHR.com. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and their Siberian Husky puppy Maura.

I'm partial to lapsang souchong, and just about anything Twinings.
I was introduced to Twinnings years ago and love their Earl Grey and English Breakfast. Both are wonderful black teas. Also Stash has a good catalogue of items both tea and accessories that you can get online. They even have a return policy if you don't like the tea. I have too many pots so I use both loose and bagged teas. Stash's herbals are very good too.
Check the offerings at Ten Ren or Harney and Sons.
Kambaa Estate Tea from Kenya.
Amazon has it.
Actually, Twining's Earl Grey is one heck of a good tea. PG Tips are excellent. Both are grocery store teas. I've had my Lapsang Souchong, but it's a bit strong for me every day. Then there are the very mild green teas and white teas. I love a cup of green tea to start the day, but I've never found a way to make it at home so it comes out the way it tastes at the sushi restaurants! Probably put in a LOT of loose tea and wait a while, but the bags don't come close. Finally one specialty, "genmatcha" tea (different spellings), green tea with toasted brown rice. You can find it anywhere, but the ones from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf are by far the best I've found - even if they cost a little more. If you don't already know genmatcha, don't even try to judge it until you've tried it from Coffee Bean!
I have lived in China. I have had tea that.... amazed me. (*sigh* That word has been beaten to death by airheads who cannot utter a sentence without using some popular buzzword, but it's the right word, so I use it in it's true sense.)

Then I went to Israel and had better tea.

In a bag.

In a hotel.

Yeah, that obligatory few bags of tea stuffed in a coffee cup along with the Splenda and sugar packets and creamer, set on a tray and left on a desk.

It was the best black tea I have ever tasted. Sorry, I don't recall the brand.

So, try a local Jewish store that imports stuff from Israel. You just might find a tea that truly deserves to be called, "amazing".

Depends on why you want to drink it. My favorite by far for taste is any Chai. However, if you want to replace your coffee with a tea that is healthful, with enough stimulus to not make you need your coffee--with the added benefit of helping to focus--my staple is Yerba Mate.
I’m not a tea expert…but…A friend’s wife – who is herself Taiwanese – brought me a brand of Taiwanese oolong tea that was the best tea I’ve ever tasted. I’ve since tried a few other Taiwanese brands and have concluded they have some of the best oolong (Note: Affordable tea…I’m assuming you don’t want to spend a small fortune on tea). Oolong generally comes as tightly balled whole tea leaves that gracefully unfurl when the water hits them. The tea is strong and very fragrant and I find that the leaves can be used twice (tea connoisseurs probably shudder at such a suggestion, but to hell with ‘em). It’s also a little fun to watch a teaspoon of dried oolong turn into an underwater garden while steeping.
Oh, and look for the kind sold in a tin, loose…not in a tea bag. I’ve nothing against tea bags, but not for this type of tea.
I used to stick to loose-leaf tea in various varieties but then I discovered PG Tips, a popular tea from England. It comes in big pyramid-shaped bags that let all the tea flavor into the water, and it's the best flavor I've ever tasted in a black tea.

For varieties, one that most tea-drinkers don't know about is Lapsang Souchong, a smoked tea that is very strong-flavored. If you like Scotch you'll probably like it. It was Winston Churchill's favorite tea. If it's too strong-flavored for you it's best to put milk in it rather than water it down.

Both of these are available on Amazon. I also buy tea at the English Tea Store online. Their prices are amazingly reasonable and you can find many, many varieties there with good descriptions.
Stash Tea, great tea, available from Amazon. Great quality, individual sealed packets.

My favorites: