Kyle Smith

March 9, 2014 - 10:00 am

Editor’s Note: This article was first published in October of 2013, shortly before Halloween. It is being reprinted as part of a new weekend series at PJ Lifestyle collecting and organizing the top 50 best lists. Where will this great piece end up on the list? Reader feedback will be factored in when the PJ Lifestyle Top 50 List Collection is completed in a few months…

Maniac2012

Looking for a Halloween horror movie that goes beyond screaming-babysitter and haunted-house cliches? Some of the most disturbing, vile, disgusting and off-the-hook films ever made are available on Netflix’s instant streaming service.

Here are six incredibly twisted experiences that will have you whimpering with disbelief. Tasteless? Wicked? Exploitative? These films are all of these things and then some. Don’t watch them, if you have any sense whatsoever.

6. Maniac (2012)

Even more violent and depraved than the trend-setting 1980 original (which isn’t available to stream on Netflix), this slasher flick involves the mommy-fixated owner (Elijah Wood) of a mannequin store who prowls the night in search of women to stab. Even sicker: He keeps the scalps to top off his mannequins in a fly-ridden room. You’ll almost smell the rotting flesh.

“If it’s possible to be both impressed and appalled by a movie’s pull-no-punches savagery,” wrote The A/V Club, “Maniac earns that dubious distinction.”

I'm surprised you did not mention "Serbian Film." The Human Centipede films deserve top billing, but for sheer disturbing and painful dementedness, A Serbian Film deserves at least a mention.
Human Centipede 2 was a black comedy...very very black but not to be taken seriously - It has so many LOL moments - Like Evil Dead movies its too OTT to be scary. Yes you need a sick sense of humour but I view it as the 21st Centurys Death Race 2000.

Now IF this list had included TRUE heavyweights in the disturbed/sick subgenre we could take the author seriously...the toughest going movies I have watched which also have merits other than pure shock/disgustiness are

Salo
Grotesque
A Serbian Film
Snowtown
Melancholie De Engel (Angels Melancholy)

Its ONLY fiction guys ...apart from Snowtown which is based on true events

People should be more offended by sappy romcoms which are insidiously manipulative
Feel better about never having watched a horror movie, although the donkey island thing in Pinocchio scared and scarred me.
Seen everything except Human Centipede. Cannot, will not, watch that.
Gee, I found Blue Velvet disturbing. I think I'll pass on these. Life's too short to wallow in this stuff.
Reminds me of "Nun Munchers From Hell Part 14" from Bloom County:

"Who am I to resist the forward progress of American culture?"

"Comes with a barf bag."
I've seen The Woman, and I Spit on Your Grave. Both deliver sweet revenge to a horribly mistreated woman. The Woman is the better of the two. It shows the banality of evil - how seemingly normal people become Nazis. The others I could never watch, and I could never re-watch I Spit on Your Grave.
Since I've never seen them, I must be culturally deprived, although I did see Love At First Bite (staring Richard Benjamin from Goodbye Columbus) and the classic The Bride of Frankenstein. I wonder if Netflix would be audited by the IRS for streaming the classic vampire movie Blackula? In fact, would Blackula even be made today? Perhaps if Blackula was written as a spoof? The Bride Of Blackula. Seriously, for a good comedy title, I like Blackula's Ho better.
Wow I've watched all of these movies.