5 Smart Comedies You Haven’t Seen on Netflix

Check out these hidden gems.

Kyle Smith

February 8, 2014 - 10:00 am

Editor’s Note: This article was first published in August of 2013. It is being reprinted as part of a new weekend series at PJ Lifestyle collecting and organizing the top 50 best lists of 2013. Where will this great piece end up on the list? Reader feedback will be factored in when the PJ Lifestyle Top 50 List Collection is completed in a few months…

shutterstock_105692996

Feel like kicking back with a laffer tonight? Thanks to Netflix streaming, there is a bewildering array of mediocrity available at your fingertips, and you’ve already seen Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Back to School and 48 Hrs. But in the rubbish pile there are lots of hidden gems. Here are a few of my favorite on-demand Netflix comedies. Just don’t let your thumb slip and exactly dial up Kathy Griffin: Tired Hooker.

1) Bernie (2012)

Tamping down his usual crazy-man instincts, Jack Black is brilliant as the title figure, a strangely polite, perfectionist funeral-home director who becomes a civic treasure in his small Texas town. Black gets across the sense of another personality hidden below the surface as Bernie becomes an almost slavish associate of a wealthy but exasperatingly demanding widow (Shirley MacLaine, who is perfectly obnoxious). Eventually he can’t stand her demands any more, and murders her. What happens next, as retold by an incredulous D.A. (Matthew McConaughey, also very funny) on Bernie’s trail, is even more bizarre. Full of fond Texas touches, this true story has to be seen to be believed.

I saw Extract and Adventureland. I liked both of them.
Beautiful Girls, Adventureland and Extract are available to Amazon prime members.
Because I found it annoying to have an article pop up that appeared to be new content but ended up being something I read 6 months ago. I may be the only one who would be annoyed but I doubt it. I'd stop reading, and there again, I may be the only one but I doubt it.

Why can't you tell by the comment which articles were most popular? Why do you (and every other business out there, it seems) require feedback in order to do your job?

Those were rhetorical questions, by the way. No need to answer ;-)
"Because I found it annoying to have an article pop up that appeared to be new content but ended up being something I read 6 months ago."

Did you read every single PJ Lifestyle article that I published in 2013?
And I don't mean just with my byline -- I mean every single post published in the section?
I've read most of them, although I completely skip a few authors. And if Sunday morning is just going to be reruns I will find another channel.

Sorry, but you wanted feedback. You got it.
Yeah, but it's not really very useful or helpful feedback since you're not really responding to what I've proposed or trying to understand the point of why I'm doing it. I'm not saying that Sunday mornings is just going to be reruns. I'm saying that weekends will include 5 best-of lists spaced out over 2 days in addition to lots of new content.

"I completely skip a few authors."
Why is that? Who do you skip?

Maybe now that some of the best are being re-run you'll see something you missed or an author you should give another chance.
"it's not really very useful or helpful feedback since you're not really responding to what I've proposed or trying to understand the point of why I'm doing it"

- I understand what you're doing; I think it's stupid.
- I skip a few authors because I don't like them.
- I won't give them another chance (already did, still don't like them)

I'm done here. Good luck!
I've noticed that George C. Scott's "The Flim-Flam Man" seems to be remarkably unavailable.

And any suggestion that the title may be confused with The Incumbent is mean.
How about you stop re-running stories? If you just list by titles then we can vote!
If I just run a list of 50-100 titles all at once then people won't actually read the stories before voting. This isn't something that can be accomplished in one go real quick -- there's a lot of articles to look through before deciding what's best; and they can't be judged just by headlines.

And the point is to get your feedback about what kinds of stories and subjects we should be writing more about. As we start growing PJ Lifestyle more this year if you want to contribute your thoughts toward the direction we go then I'd appreciate it.
Actually, being as how I fairly recently subscribed to Netflix, I'm glad for the repost.
More Mark Rippetoe and the like. Anything about training and becoming a quicker, faster and stronger athlete is great reading for this section.
I just gave you my thoughts. Don't re-publish 50-100 stories. That would be suicide for the Lifestyle section.

"..there's a lot of articles to look through before deciding what's best; You can just which ones "

You can tell by the comments which ones are the most interesting to the readers.
Why on earth would me picking 5 popular articles from last year to republish each weekend be "suicide" for the section?