Becky Graebner

January 14, 2014 - 10:30 am

Before I begin my recipes, yes there are two today, I want to mention that it took me five solid days to eat all of that round roast from recipe one. However, I never got bored with it (so please don’t be afraid of Ina’s bigger recipes)!  I used thin slices of beef on sandwiches, sautéed pieces and tossed them with pasta, and even chopped up and sautéed beef with chilies and eggs. But enough with the versatility of beef. Today’s main dish is CHICKEN.

I selected Ina’s “Crispy Mustard-Roasted Chicken” because it allowed me to use up the older chicken breasts and thighs that were chilling in my freezer.

***

4 garlic cloves

1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon pepper

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups panko bread flakes

1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)

2 tablespoons good olive oil

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

½ cup Dijon mustard

½ cup dry white wine

1 (3/12-4lb) chicken, cut in eights  (Becky used chicken breasts, thighs—all the misc. chicken in the freezer)

***

First, I preheated the oven to 350 degrees.

I really wanted to use my new mixing bowls, so, although the recipe called for the minced garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, bread crumbs (I used 1 cup regular and 1 cup panko), lemon zest, olive oil, and butter to be combined in a bowl and then poured out on a plate, I just threw it all in a medium-sized mixing bowl. (No reason to dirty a bowl and then a plate).

In a separate, smaller bowl, I combined the white wine and mustard.  I used honey Dijon (I know, I finally found it after needing it last week!), oh well.

When breading something (like chicken pieces), usually the ENTIRE piece of meat is covered in the breadcrumb mixture.  Not this recipe—so here’s the twist:

Dip the entire piece of chicken in the mustard-wine mixture, but only cover one side with the breadcrumbs.  Then, lay the chicken breadcrumb-side up on the baking sheet.**

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Then, turn the heat up to 400 degrees and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove and cover with foil until ready to eat!

Now, on to the side dish!

**I tried to use of the rest of my breadcrumbs by adding them to any exposed areas on the chicken but I ended up having a lot left over.  Since there was no egg used in the process that could have “tainted” the breadcrumbs during the dipping, I decided to save the remaining breadcrumbs.  (I Tupperwared them up and put them in the refrigerator.)

Our favorite way to do the sprouts? Fry up some bacon, use the grease to saute the sprouts in (cut them in half). Then the balsamic vinegar, and whatever other spices, and parmesan cheese as a topper. You can fry up asparagus, green beans, onions or whatever else you want to along with them. Oh yeah. Then crumple the bacon into the finished product.
Cook the sprouts nearly all the way in the microwave, then sautee until nicely browned with good olive oil and lots of garlic. 15 minutes.
I have a wonderful recipe fro Cuisine At Home for oven-roasted sprouts - basically, toss them with slivers of red onion, rounds of Kielbasa sausage, salt, pepper and olive oil and broil until done. There's a cream-mustard sauce that goes with it, but not necessary. They are good on their own. Trust me.
Hate to rain on your parade buy your bread crumbs are tainted by the chicken. Either toast them in the oven and use the to top a casserole at a future time or chuck 'em.
I had the same thought, I'd chuck 'em.
This is why I have you guys--to keep me in line!
I decided to bread more chicken with them--(so still safe to use).

Thanks for reading!
Becky
Ok, here's the thing about reusing them: They are contaminated by the chicken, so cooking them (toasting in the oven or pan until thoroughly heated through and toasted) will kill the bacteria. Saving the breadcrumbs in the fridge to use within a day will be okay, but after that, using those breadcrumbs will be the same as cooking with rotten chicken. Seriously. Breadcrumbs are an especially prolific breeding ground for bacteria.
I breaded the chicken and then baked it again the day after I made the original chicken. I'm still feeling good so I think I dodged any potential sickness. You're right though--those breadcrumbs shouldn't be used unless they are used soon after AND cooked again. thanks, jmarie!
I am extremely paranoid about chicken, and would not have done that, but you will be fine. I'm a chicken freak.

What else have you got cooking?
I feel ya!

I plan on perusing Ina's cookbook tomorrow and planning out next week's recipe. It may involve parsnips...
I don't know if this will become a regular PJMedia thing, but I'm really enjoying these posts. I might even try the Brussels sprouts.
Ina's recipes are awesome! We have her roast turkey breast recipe and her spaghetti and meatballs recipe in our binder as go-tos.

Brussells Sprouts are pretty good so long as you don't over cook them. The longer they cook, the more bitter they get. It's something to do with the sulfur compounds in them. I'll eat them even bitter because I like a little bitter, but my husband prefers them not.
Brussel sprouts roasted with bacon are delicious.
Damned near anything roasted with bacon is swell.
Brussel sprouts are fine as long as not overcooked, even if served with nothing but a little butter and salt, or any kind of favorite salad dressing, should be sweet and mild. I dunno about your salami trick, I'd much rather go with bacon if you feel a need to go in that direction at all. I have a friend who put them in the smoker, and they came out delicious!
I agree with the part about not being overcooked---I like 'em a bit on the raw side myself. I have never tried them with salad dressing or in a smoker--both sound amazing so I will definitely give those prep ideas a try!
thanks for reading, itelu3times!

Becky
Great recipes in this and your last posting about Ina.