How I Lost 40 Pounds in 4 Months

These 5 tips worked well for me.

Paul Cooper

January 3, 2014 - 6:30 am

IMG_4533

I am a regular guy.  I have zero resemblance to the guys you see on the countless weight loss commercials currently running on television.  I still have work to do to become more healthy.  But I did something last year that I’ve never been able to do in a lifetime of weight struggles.  I lost a significant amount of weight in a relatively short amount of time.  Moreover, I did it in a healthy way, and I was able to keep it off.

How did I do it?  Well, first let me tell you the basics. On January 1 of 2013 I weighed in at 283 pounds.  I was significantly overweight.  I was unhealthy, ate poorly, was very inactive, and took blood pressure medicine that I desperately needed. By May 1, 2013, I dropped 40 pounds, was eating much better, exercised 5-6 days a week, and was off blood pressure medicine. And most importantly, I felt great doing it.  Well, what did I do?  I could probably list 20 things, but I narrowed it down to five.  And these are five things that I think can help anyone get healthier if they are ready for a change.

5. Make water your friend.

be_water_my_friend_an_by_tornaku-d3cx18u

Have I lost you already?  Is this too boring for you?  Is this too simple?  I don’t care.  Do it!  Drinking a ton of water was a key to my weight loss and I guarantee it’ll be a key to anyone else’s weight loss.  Get yourself a big bottle that you don’t mind making your friend.  Take it to work, drive with it, work out with it, and have it with you always.  And then take sips all day, every day.

What’s the big deal about water?  It has too many benefits for me to list them all, but here are a few: water suppresses your appetite, has zero bad stuff in it (drink filtered), increases metabolism, helps your body retain nutrients, is what your body is made of, helps maintain normal digestion, and energizes muscles.  There are more, but those are enough reasons for any of us to start diving into some H2O.

Water is your new friend.  Save money by drinking water instead of other beverages.  That’ll free up some income to buy healthier foods.  Drink a full glass of water before a meal and it’ll both speed up your metabolism and make you eat less.  Get at least 64 ounces a day.  And if you think that’s a lot, then check out your biggie cup of soda.  I bet it’s at least 32 ounces.  Put down the soda and pick up a big bottle of water.

You’re going to need to be well-hydrated if you are going to do number 4.

while in my doc's office last week waiting to get my regular 6 mos. lecture, I started looking at the chart of who is and isn't obese, according to the gov.

wow, was I surprised. did you know that Hershel Walker, while playing running back for Ga. was obese? he needed to drop about 30-40 lbs. according to the gov. numbers. when my doc. came in he laughed at my observation and said that the chart wasn't for athletes. well, I was an athlete (def. lineman) in college, but he said I wasn't one now, so lose some more weight.

now that I have had more time to reflect on it, just what makes these charts the gospel for what we are supposed to weigh? I will never, I repeat, never get down to something like 184 lbs. max to get off the obese list. haven't weighed that since 11th grade. do they really believe a person w/ my body structure could possibly look normal at that weight? and obamacare plans to punish me financially if I don't? yeah, sounds like an effort in futility w/ no end in sight. i'll bet progressives made that chart. skinny ones. what am I to do? diet to reach an unreachable goal?

"to dream the impossible dream, to fight the ...". well, you can see my dilemma, right?
Really happy for you Paul. I've watched you on Instagram, you certainly have stayed on track.

My family has also taken the same route. Maybe a little more radical, but our situation was a bit more dire. The only thing we didn't do is the gym part, and went more for shakes rather than juicing. We were advised to eat our fruit rather than drink it.

But then again, we are both much older than you.

Keep up the good work Paul!!
And stop drinking booze. That alone will cause you drop 20 pounds right off the bat.
Paul Cooper, do you use a site such as MyFitnessPal.com? Just wondering if you were logging your food and water and exercise and such.
I've made this a regular breakfast smoothie (more of a crunchy-chewy, actually):

~ 3 ounces spinach
1 cup plain yogurt (I use full-fat, homemade yogurt)
1-2 Tbsp fruit jam or syrup (makes it taste good)
1 scoop unflavored whey protein powder (Now Foods and Musclefeast both have an unflavored variety, I use Now Foods)
~ 10 ice cubes
2 Tbsp Grape Nuts (for crunchy texture, omit if you're avoiding the carbs)
1/3 cup raw rolled oats (fights the hunger a bit)

The cereals are optional, and you get a good dose of vegetables first thing in the morning, and some protein, and I guess yogurt's good for your gut or something, I just like it.
Thanks Paul for the advise about drinking lots and lots of water. I would not have thought to include that in my weight loss plan.
Thank you for posting this, and I do hope it helps people, but permit me to share with you.

I am a 51-year-old male who needs to lose fifty pounds (at 6’1, I should weigh 215 pounds, you do the math…). For four months last year, I ate only raw vegetables, and drank water and some diet soda. That said, I have not eaten red meat for 30 years, and I can count the number of times I have eaten fried food in 25 years on one hand. I don’t eat baked goods, sweets, junk food, chips, etc., and I haven’t had breakfast cereal in 20 years. I go easy on pastas, beans, potatoes, lentils, and I eat few breads. I drink no milk, and eat only very dry and low-cal cheese. Gravies, sauces, oils? Forget ‘em. I don’t buy salt. No alcohol or coffee, and again, only water and diet soda.

Exercise means I do brisk walking for three miles on three days each week, and two-plus miles on two days of the week, always at varying speeds. I make sure I sweat. I am busy during the day, and I always park at the far end of any parking lot.

Guess what: I don’t lose any weight, my triglycerides are through the roof, my “bad” cholesterol is low, but my “good” cholesterol is sadly lower; my blood pressure is somewhat elevated. My thyroid and testosterone are perfectly healthy.

I am tired of hearing, “You eat too little,” or “You eat too much,” or “You don’t measure correctly,” or “You’re lying,” and worse, “Science says a pound is worth X-amount of calories; there is no way you are not losing weight.” Really? Some time ago, I had pneumonia with a high temperature for two days. I drank only small helpings of broth for three or four days: I still did not lose weight. Doctors don’t want to hear any of this. Diets? Ornish, MacDougall, Pritikin – I am living their diets, but I don’t lose weight.

Your post will be helpful to many; I congratulate you on your weight loss, you look great! However, there are millions of us like me who know that it is futile. Acceptance leaves me happier. I hope my advice can help them.
"For protein, I do eat skinless chicken and tuna; I do eat lots and lots of salads filled with various veggies, with all dressings cut with vinegar to reduce calories. Overall (and it has been measured and verified), I eat between 1500 and 1800 calories per day, which is low for my height and build."

Why are you starving yourself? Your body thinks you live in Ethiopia!

You don't mention Paleo. That's what you need to do.

Start eating meats...FATTY meats! Milk shakes made with plenty of cream! You need to up your fat intake. Cook everything in butter.

LOSE ALL GRAINS. Repeat: LOSE ALL GRAINS.

Do this for at least six months. Exercise is not needed.
Sounds like you are doing all the right things except for that Diet Soda. I love Diet Pepsi but that stuff is horrible for you. Causes water retention, hurts weight loss, and may be found to cause cancer.
One diet soda and several large glasses and bottles of fresh water a day. I doubt one diet soda would do all of that. I'm just saying folks, there are many people who just don't lose weight easily, and to go into hyper-exercise mode permanently is as unrealistic as starvation mode. I just live with it, but there are lots of people who just don't lose much weight, easily if at all.
"I doubt one diet soda would do all of that. "

Look into it. You might be surprised.

" I'm just saying folks, there are many people who just don't lose weight easily"

That's true, and folks who are naturally skinny (like me) really need to get ahold of this, and stop assuming that all fat people are just lazy gluttons.

Most of them are, but some people really do have a harder time losing weight than others of us.

" and to go into hyper-exercise mode permanently"

What do you call, "hyper-exercise mode"?

My guess is, it's probably a NORMAL level of activity. Very few people in our society have a NORMAL level of activity.

"Average" is not the same thing as "normal".
If what you state is true then you are a freak of nature who should be scientifically studied.
You're making my point for me. People always say the same things, particularly the thin. Not a freak of nature, the weight just won't budge. It is now 4 p.m., and I have already gone for a three-mile walk, and I had a can of waterless tuna on a bed of greens with three large tomatoes, a third of a red onion, and red-wine vinegar for lunch. For dinner a one-half cup of lentils and another green salad. Some people just don't lose weight easily. That's my point and that's the way it is.
"I have already gone for a three-mile walk"

Three miles isn't really much, and at what speed? How long did that take?

Three miles in a day is not anywhere NEAR "hyper-exercise mode".

My guess is that your view of "normal" is very skewed.

Not really. At 6'1" and 215 pounds -- most of his weight is probably bone and muscle, with some belly fat. The walking won't burn the fat (not aerobic enough) but will maintain the muscle. Now if he started using hand weights AND ankle weights with the walking and doing full curls with the hand weights, and he worked his way up to 15 pound hand weights with 5 pound ankle weights (for a total of 40 pounds) then he would lose some weight but because it would build muscles in the core, chest, and arms probably not much. He could probably get down to 185 but would have to maintain the "heavy hands" routine to maintain at 185. Also, it requires doing full curls for the entire walk. It would probably take him a full year to work up to it, incrementing the hand weights by 1 pound every three weeks.
He's not 6'1" and 215 pounds. He's 6'1" and 265 pounds. Read what he wrote, again. I guess he would be willing to kiss us on the mouth if we could tell him how to get to 215.
265 pounds.

But then again, we are both much older than you.

Keep up the good work Paul!!
Oh I eat a ton of fruit and veggies too:) And thank you!
I just bought a trainer for my bike so I can ride indoors during the winter. Heart rate zones are good when you cant get to the hills on a normal ride. Also, clean eating and taking a good probiotic to balance you out. start the morning with 8-16 oz of water to jump start your digestive system and your brain. Do this before the caffeine and you'll feel great
My doctor wants me to gain 15-20 lbs, so more booze for me!
Agreed. Very difficult however, I enjoy drinking.
Stick to rum. No grain based alcohols. Wine is good too.
Well OK, but I'm starting off already following all these rules and while I'm not obese I could, would, and should lose another 10-20 pounds and they JUST DON'T WANT TO GO!
Company I work with also has DNA tests to see how you best lose weight. That might be helpful.
I would add to the breakfast that one needs enough protein to feel satisfied. Turning the juice into a shake with a few oz of plain greek yogurt, or bypass the shake and have some yogurt.

But I found a trick to weight loss via diet was fiber and protein, especially at breakfast. It seems to me that lately the recommended protein intake has been going up, and empirical data I'm seeing is that people who keep their protein intake up to recommended levels do a lot better with weight loss.
1 2 Next View All