What Your Booze Says About Your Politics

It's true that I am a vodka drinker.

Stephen Green

January 2, 2014 - 2:30 pm

booze

Yes, I know this has been making the rounds and, no, I’m not upset that the Washington Post is totally stealing my schtick. Although I have been getting a lot of questions along “as a vodka drinker, are you offended to be lumped in with all the lefties?”

It’s true that I am a vodka drinker. It’s also true that I’m no lefty. But I also enjoy scotch — a lot. And I’ve spent the last couple years really honing my appreciation for bourbon. Summer afternoons are most often filled with proper gin martinis or gin & tonics. I sip fine tequila on the beach and I make a mean margarita here at Casa Verde on Friday nights. Weekend mornings often involve mimosas. I drink (and cook with) lots of red wines, but most often zins, cabs, and pinots. Colorado is home to many fine beers, which I also drink. Although recently I’ve been on a pilsner kick and so I’ve been buying stuff from Germany and the Czech Republic — new suggestions welcome, please!

So to paraphrase George Thorogood, I really really really really really really like booze.

When I launched VodkaPundit twelve years ago next Friday, the first name I thought of for it was “ScotchPundit” because scotch is what I used to drink more than anything else. But the name sounded too stuffy (or perhaps focused on Scotland), when what I wanted to imply was a certain insouciance.

And to my mind there is no cocktail more insouciant than a vodka martini. It lacks bourbon and scotch’s haughtiness, it doesn’t have gin’s herbal complexities, it won’t leave you naked in a dumpster like tequila. A vodka martini is light and airy, and bright with a twist of lemon. Brighter still with a twist of lime. It goes down easy and might even make you feel a little smarter, if only for a little while.

So, yes, VodkaPundit.

Just don’t try to put it on any chart.

*****

cross-posted from Vodkapundit

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

I brew my own beer and load my own ammo. What does that say about me?
I dunno. I'm fairly conservative...though I used to be liberal (at least on domestic policy). Liberal or conservative...I always preferred vodka, and tend to enjoy gin or tequila for a change of pace now and again. Straight up, too. Never mixed. Really good booze doesn't need to be "cut" with anything, I say. Don't believe there is any real relationship between tastes in poiltics on the one hand, tastes in libation on the other. Any statistical relationship is coincidental, so far as I'm concerned.
One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer
Is there some way you could post a version of the chart in which the labels are sharper? I can't read them at all...
I'm unsure if our dear Mr. Green has a taste for the darker beers and ales, but Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan ale has got to be the best tasting dark ever. I highly recommend it for those lazy summer days when a Mint Julep just ain't good enough. It is brewed in my neck of the woods (MS/AL) and can be found at local stores, but I have also found it, as well as some other great ales on their website. Just google Lazy Magnolia and you should be able to find it. Great stuff!
Whiskey and Bourbon drinker here, with the occassional Scotch.
"new suggestions welcome, please!"

Beer tour in Belgium, it is a must :D
Long Island Iced Tea.
Can't we all just get along and get lots of liquor in one drink?
Wow. I love Jameson. I've been voting the wrong way this whole time. It might take some time to accept my new position as a low information voter Democrat weenie.
To me the eternally amusing thing about booze drinkers is the sharp moral and real distinction they make between heroin and booze, where in fact none exists. With "Okie From Muskogee" in 1969, it was even hilariously suggested that the potentially and often fully realized destructive addiction of alcoholism was preferable to the harmless puffing of non-addictive marijuana. It actually did say something about politics in 1969. I'm not sure what it says now. Maybe nothing more than that we're humans who put lipstick on one set of chemical compounds over another, as Mr. Spock might suggest as he angrily shouts at Capt. Kirk about not "getting" why wine is more sophisticated than soda pop.
Radegast. Great Czech beer. Don't know if it's imported, though. Drank a lot of it years ago when I was doing business in the CR.
1 2 3 Next View All