How to Overcome the Looming Feminist Collapse

An action plan for serving women abroad and at home that can counter the hate and hedonism.

Leslie Loftis

November 27, 2013 - 3:00 pm
shutterstock_139410479

banner on May 18, 2013, in Warsaw, Poland at a “Slut walk.”

After my post on whether we could successfully rebrand feminism, Susan L.M. Goldberg took issue with my pessimistic answer of “probably not.” Noting, correctly I think, that feminism needs to focus more on female oppression in the world and less on western women’s “penny-ante” problems, she asked for a plan to overcome the problem of women who disavow feminism because of how it is marketed. And we decided to make a back and forth series out of these feminist dilemmas.

So first a clarification from my first post: women don’t disavow feminism because of how it is marketed but because of how it acts. I claim that marketing can’t overcome what feminism actually does these days: focus on sexual hedonism and career success for western women. (It only manages the career success. The sexual hedonism is still elusive.)

A simple marketing trick won’t do, we have to actually capture the term. The plan that I’ve been testing for a few years was to have the new disillusioned feminists join with women of the right, who are experienced at disillusion with feminism. Frankly, we’ve been waiting for domestic and minority feminists to get fed up enough to rebel. I thought that a rebel alliance could change what feminism does and thereby revive the movement.

My pessimism is about that alliance forming. But alliance or no, Goldberg is right, there is much to be done.

My take? Feminists need to stop seeing everything in life as a male plot. They need to make the movement about becoming themselves and who they are not about proving themselves and being better at everything than any man. They need to realize that men and women are different; it's a biological fact. There's nothing wrong with it, and there is likely nothing wrong with each gender capitalizing on what they do best. There is also nothing wrong with a woman learning how to hone strengths she may have that are traditionally male. I myself have a fairly strong sense of spatial reasoning which is traditionally stronger in men. I don't question it; I go with it. But I'm not going to whine about being one of the few women who has this natural strength. It's not an oppressive patriarchal plot; it's biology.
"And we decided to make a back and fourth series out of these feminist dilemmas."

I think you mean "back and forth." This has nothing to do with the number four.
I agree about the male plots. When one is institutionally discriminated against by way of laws, that is something concrete one can push back against, i.e. Jim Crow, women not allowed to vote. A law can be seen and measured.

Once those laws are done away with one can easily slip into Roswell-land and start at shadows. It's not a surprise that most mainstream women who are realist pragmatic rationalists have no interest in modern feminism and that those who are left are arguably women who simply resent men and have taken over the symbols of a war that was won years ago to hide behind.

There is this old measure to consider: when one is convinced a thing is true they couldn't possibly know one way or another, they are only revealing what they WANT to believe.

The old feminists were not guilty of that. They couldn't vote, for example and no one can deny them the obvious fact of seeing an actual law.

However one can deny a moron like bell hooks who sees America as a capitalist supremacist patriarchy. That's what she WANTS to see since her observation is not a simple reality everyone agrees on and which can be smeared onto 100 million people.

In short, the modern feminist (and "anti-racism") movements are dominated and led by UFO enthusiasts who observe an actual meteor and see a fleet of ships.

gosh, posted before I was ready. feminist plot.

anyway, the tea party in some areas I believe had this same type thing happen, in a way. people joining and trying to change it for whatever reason. fascism/marxism/communism is all up in this game. its hard to get recognized on a nat'l level w/ oft failed ideas, so take over what is working and modify the host as you ride it to the top. of course, the fall of feminism means it needs to be dropped, or morphed into something new, and still keep enough of the old to drag the host along for support.

if the host is so confused by all the new surroundings, doesn't it make sense that this is the time when redirecting the movement to fit an agenda works best? today the host 100% resembles the alien leech that attached itself, like say marxism or fascism. hence now baby has grown into just another overgrown leech sucking the very life out of its next host, and discarding the shell.

or maybe not. every person must decide for themselves what they want out of life and who will represent them. the big problem lies in being able to recognize the leech when it attacks. hard to do amid all the chaos. jmho, for what its worth.
having watched the rise and fall of feminism, perhaps some in my generation (boom boom) are expertly qualified at 'what went wrong, and when'. we were there when they burnt their bras and when they recently burnt their bridges.

my take? maybe it started out as something looking to do good; but, like all rising causes that get immediate national attention the fanaticism baby needed to bring up a new cause gets some friends who soon have complete control of baby's every move. those who maybe had good thoughts and wanted one thing for baby, soon had no say at all. the leeches that latched ontothea rising start soon has set up something resembling the