2013′s Top 10 Oscar Contenders

Martin Scorsese vs Alfonso Cuaron vs the Coen Brothers vs Lee Daniels. Who will win this season?

John Boot

November 15, 2013 - 10:00 am

The Oscars won’t be given out until March, but Oscar season is already well underway as studio flacks hold parties and special screenings intended to sway voters. The leading contenders so far are:

10 and 9. American Hustle and The Wolf of Wall Street

Both films make the list solely because of the track record of their respective directors, David O. Russell (The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook) and Martin Scorsese. Unlike all of the other movies on this list, these two haven’t been publicly shown yet. Scorsese is still editing his Leonardo DiCaprio-starring film about finance-industry debauchery and isn’t expected to be finished until the end of November.

Russell says his movie, which stars Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence in a drama about a 1970s political scam, is almost ready. American Hustle is due in theaters Dec. 18, Wolf a week later.

Likely Oscar nominations: Best Picture?

When people want to believe a thing, they just do. The fact "Roots," a combination of plagiarism and fantasy, is still fondly cited by liberals shows how little history actually means to them. They have a history in their heads and that's the real one.
I've been boycotting much of the entertainment industry for years, because I don't want to give those leftists my money. I make very rare exceptions. Gravity was one, because of its subject matter, and I loved it. It's the only movie on this list I've seen. In fact, it's the first movie I've seen twice in a theater since Titanic.

I can't see it sweeping the Oscars, though. Hollywood loves political posturing and there was absolutely no politics in Gravity. If any of these movies is going to sweep the Oscars, I'd expect it to be 12 Years a Slave, which I haven't seen but by all accounts is an excellent movie.

Gravity certainly should win awards for special effects and set design. I expect Sandra Bullock to at least be nominated for Best Actress, but whether she actually wins will probably be determined by internal Academy politics, which I don't pretend to understand. I can't see Clooney being nominated. His role really wasn't all that much.

I certainly do expect Alfonso Cuarón to win for Best Director, though, and I'll really be steamed if he doesn't. That movie was a tour de force.

I've never heard of Inside Llewyn Davis. I'll have to check it out. I love the Coen Brothers and the subject matter is right up my alley.
The phrase, "aiding and abetting the enemy" comes to mind.

As does the moniker, "useful idiots".

Oscars? The Hollyweirds are more concerned with what they are wearing to the event and how they will spend their 20 seconds parading like dogs at Westminster on the "red carpet."

Of course, the awards will likely go to fictionalized histories or fantasies designed to dredge up white guilt.

My time is far too valuable to waste it on this manufactured crap.
Oscars? Does anybody pay attention anymore to liberals gladhanding themselves?

Full disclosure: It's been seventeen years since I watched a movie in a theater (Star Trek: First Contact in 1993)
John, you're just living in your own little world, aren't you? SCREW Hollywood. Screw the Amusement Industry. We are in very serious times here. I can't remember the last time I saw a decent movie in America. And it doesn't matter.
What? We still care about this? Isn't it more profitable to read Libertas than to speculate on the Oscars?

Is it possible for everyone to lose? They deserve to.
Ummm, it's based on a real memoir written by Solomon Northup, the main character. All the information I have says the movie sticks pretty close to the true story (I have read the original book from 1853). "The Butler" is highly fictionalized and strains credulity at several points, but "Twelve Years a Slave" is pretty true to life. Now, I do not excuse the race-baiting and tired, hypocritical sermonizing of Hollywood, but this one is a real story.
Sorry. I clicked the wrong button and ended up reporting you instead of replying to you. My apologies.

The Butler wasn't just highly fictionalized. It was completely bowdlerized to turn a moving story of steady reliable service at the WH into some kind of Civil Rights dumb show thru which we could see a life of loyal servitude (too close to slavery?) as a microcosm of the civil rights movement. What else could we expect with Oprah's scant talents as an actress manifest? Pity. In the book there was an even more powerful message to the permanent underclass of all colors, and particularly the blacks, about the old fashioned middle class virtues of hard work, thrift, diligence, loyalty, punctuality, delayed gratification, and excellence in your profession. It's pretty common to say the book was better than the movie, but in this case, it's imperative to detail how and why the book was better.
"...the true story of a free Northerner..."

Falsified and overwrought might be a better description for those of us not subject to overwrought scene adaptations of historical events - like 'The Butler', this movie falls into the category of historical fiction; i.e., unless you're willing to accept another guilt trip for whites to atone for.