13 Weeks: Bugs and More Bugs

Down 8 pounds, glucose good, and I get orange juice. What's not to like?

Charlie Martin

October 5, 2013 - 2:42 pm
YouTube Preview Image

As I wrote last week, I started using probiotics, along with fruit juice, whole fruit, and yogurt, on a vague intuition based on some reports that probiotics might improve my blood sugar, and somewhat better intuition that it might improve some other, er, passing problems.

So I’m just finishing my second jar of the 5-day probiotics (which lasts me about 7 days) and the results are that:

• I’m down to 264, which is now a couple of standard deviations below where I was stuck for so long (and getting close to 40 pounds off my starting weight);
  • my morning fasting blood sugar has ranged from 95 to 117 with the average about 105, which is also a couple standard deviations down from what it had been.

Several people have also emailed me at ask.charlie.martin@gmail.com or commented on that last piece to tell me their experiences, and they’ve seen similar (or greater) improvements in blood sugar and comparable weight loss.

So, with n equal to about 5, there’s some success to report, and lots more questions to ask.

I'm going to give this a try. I've had a slow but steady weight gain since my mid-teens that I always associated with puberty, but I was also put on a regular dose of mild antibiotics for acne then, too (they were way too free with antibiotics back in the 70s).

(Though the 70s was when iodine was taken out of bread and milk, and replaced with bromine, which looks like another likely cause of weight gain. Bromine is nasty stuff.)
Probiotic strain has to survive transit through the low pH of stomach and the bile salts. Those reaching the intestinal interface can lead to less proinflammatory cytokines, like IL-5 & TNF-alpha.
Part of a response is when probiotics are contending with gut micro-organisms (all or some of bacteria/protozoa/fungi/extremophiles/yeast) that have formed a resilient bio-film polymer at the intestinal interface. The adverse type of biofilm's contents engender immunological responses that foster the Th2 immune pro-inflammatory profile. For those poorly responding to general probiotics overcoming a recalcitrant type of undesirable bio-film can be accelerated by consuming Bacillus subtilis bacteria (B. subtilis is what makes Japanesse Natto's).

That may be why the juice is helping. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15933002 "Survival of probiotic lactobacilli in acidic environments is enhanced in the presence of metabolizable sugars."
TNF-alpha instigated from gut biofilm leads to the expression in the brain of
extra glutamate. A chronic load of excessive glutamate excites synapses like those involved in metabolic regulation &, for that matter, mood.
The brain tries to harmonize the glutamate level, but then the side effect of clearing glutamate out of the synapses is that insulin gets secreted - which drives down glucose in the brain. The brain senses low glucose levels &, among other things, makes one feel not right.
A problem clearing excess glutamate from synapses occurs because although the event elevates insulin the measurable degree to which one synapse clears it's glutamate requires sufficient brain glucose to effect the movement of glutamate out. So, if that insulin causes the local glucose to go down then the
glutamate molecule is not able to move out of the synapse & the glutamate
lingers exciting that synapse. The chronic pro-inflammatory gut bio-film creates
an unstable viscious cycle in brain centers integral to metabolic regulation.
TNF-alpha also depresses the B12 associated enzyme methionine synthase.
With the downstream effect being too little methionine synthase enzyme there is then altered DNA expression.
The normal process of DNA methyl-ation gets the methyl from S-adenosyl-methionine. However, if that S-adenosyl-methionine itself gets de-methylated it becomes the molecule S-adenosyl-homocysteine. And, unfortunately, it is precisely a deficiency of the enzyme methionine synthase that causes S-adenosyl-homocysteine to predominate.
This lack of methyl-ation is how one can get epi-genetic regulation (DNA stays what born with, but changes of expression occur). In our context (no pathology at birth) it is when we are not tagging a methyl group to a key place on DNA to "silence" what should not be interfering with normally healthy function.
I will try again on the Probiotics. I had the opposite effect after 3 days, needing to call on Mr. Fleet but I had some major med changes as well so who knows? Sounds like things are going great for you Charlie. Continued Congratulations.
I seem stalled in the 210-225 range in my voyage to 190-ish going Taubes' low carb/sugar route. Not that there's anything wrong with that, given my high of 255. I'mna looking for cheaper ways to do it than $100/mo to WholePayCheck Foods or their ilk. Live yogurt cultures seems a likely place to start.
Have you tried Kefir or non-pasteurized sauerkraut?
Guess I could eat dirt and bugs, too, but I 'spect that'd cause my neighbors (and wife-unit) to talk...