I Want to Fly Like An Eagle

My next incarnation, I want to be a bird.

Charlie Martin

September 19, 2013 - 1:30 pm

A GoPro camera on the back of an eagle flying a canyon in France.

Seriously, what could be better?

Charlie Martin writes on science, health, culture and technology for PJ Media. Follow his 13 week diet and exercise experiment on Facebook and at PJ Lifestyle

You want (= desire >> sufffering) to be a bird soaring high in you next incarnation. If you desire to fly, why not a vampire bat? Where is, Buddhistically speaking, the difference? Just curiosity!
Now I know what Bilbo felt.
"Seriously, what could be better?"

Better than tearing the guts from live mammals? There must be something.
I want to know where they found a cameraman small enough and light enough to ride on the back of that eagle? :)

Seriously, very cool!
I had a "pet" Bald Eagle for a summer in Juneau. It was an older adolescent eagle; still mottled but with the distinctive white head and neck. I don't know if it was a male or female; they look alike but full grown males are bigger. Eagles really are just well dressed vultures and they will scavenge anywhere the scavenging is good; the best place to see them in Juneau is the city dump. But, boat harbors all have fish/crab cleaning stations and the eagles quickly learn that the livin' is good and the cotton is high around the fish cleaning station. My slip was about 75 feet from the fish cleaning station and this eagle started hanging out on the piling about half way between the cleaning station and my slip. I began enticing the bird by throwing bait herring up in the air and having him/her snatch it out of the air much to the delight of tourists. I think it was illegal to do that but both the eagle and the tourists liked it. One evening I was sitting on my flybridge enjoying the evening and an adult beverage when I hear a bunch of rustling and scratching. I look around as see the eagle perched on my radome about four feet away. I gave him/her a potato chip. After that, I kept some herring or salmon waste handy and came to be able to hand feed it. We were pals for a summer and it even went out with me a few times; it was cool taking your boat out with a big bald eagle as an ornament on your radar arch. It was pretty friendly and affectionate but not to the dog or cat level of affectionate; it wasn't a pet, but it did kinda like hanging out with me, probably for the food and it even learned to drink beer. Then, it never came back. I don't know if something happened to it or if it found love or something like it, but it was cool to have it around for a summer. You've never seen flying untill you watch a bald eagle just drop like a rock from a couple of hundred feet and aim for a fish or some scrap at the surface. The control surfaces on a modern fighter are barely in the same league as an eagle's wing and tail feathers as they adjust their altitude, attitude, and speed to hit a target or a landing spot; wonderful creatures!
Just make sure you don't have any feathers from him.

Flying is the one superpower I wish I had.
Yeah, know better than that; us honky dogs can't have eagle feathers.