Are Public Schools Modern Altars for Child Sacrifice?

“Your children and grandchildren might get mediocre educations in the meantime, but it will be worth it, for the eventual common good.” -- Allison Benedikt

Megan Fox

September 9, 2013 - 8:10 am

child sacrifice to Canaanite gods

We started school in my house on Thursday, and, as usual, the freedom homeschooling offers still takes me by surprise. I’ve been at it for 3 years now (well, 7 if you count all the pre-pre-school that happens before school age.) We have a new grammar curriculum, Shurley English, which I think I’m going to love but when I started teaching the first lesson I realized my daughter already knows this information and I don’t want to waste her time re-teaching it. So I set her up with writing exercises while I perused the book and found the first 5 chapters are a waste for her. So guess what? We’re skipping them! If she were in class with 25 other kids, some of whom don’t know the same information she does, she would have to sit through 5 whole chapters which would take up several weeks of re-learning redundant information. What a waste of her time and talents! Instead, we can just skip ahead and get to the new stuff right now.

Many kids hate school and just get through it as quickly and as mediocrely as they can. Perhaps it’s because their specific likes and dislikes or personal learning styles aren’t taken into account. How can they in a system that has to cater to such a large group of children? Recently, a controversial article was written entitled, “If You Send Your Kids to Private School, You are a Bad Person” by Allison Benedikt that laments parents who want, and can pay for the best education their kids can get. Benedikt supposes all children should be in the public system even at their own detriment:

This is the ultimate child sacrifice, next to abortion, that calls for the educational execution of your children for some unidentifiable future children you should care more about than your own “spawn”, as Benedikt calls them. This is a classic argument from progressives, that those of us who choose not to use the public schools are the reason they are failing. How anyone can come to this conclusion when the state still gets the money allocated for my child even though I bear the entirety of her educational expenses is beyond me. I am actually paying double. I pay for a student (or maybe more, who knows?) in public school with my property taxes and I pay for a privately-educated child from my personal expenses. How the public school’s failure to produce readers is my fault is a head-scratcher.

Benedikt thinks all that is needed is parents like me to enroll my children and then engage in the fight to make the public school better. Yeah, okay. I would be every principal’s worst nightmare. Believe me, I am doing the public school a favor by not insisting that they not show movies during class time, that they not read books about sexuality to minors and that science not include dubious global warming “scientific” tall tales. Trust me, the public school has no use for me or my children and I feel the same. Luckily, we still live in a moderately free society where a person like Benedikt (who also admits to being ignorant thanks to her public school education) has no authority over my personal choices about educating my daughters. For people who presume to be so non-judgmental over other lifestyle choices like homosexuality, transgenderism, abortion-as-birth-control and other favorite progressive sacraments, they’re awfully judgy about private-schoolers and people who want their children to have better than the “lame education” that Benedikt suffered.

Megan Fox is a homeschooling mom to her two girls ages 7 and 4 and happy wife to her husband of thirteen years. She writes, gardens, composes conservative folk music and enjoys angering progressive "feminists" as often as possible. www.Facebook.com/MeganFoxWriter

"This is a classic argument from progressives, that those of us who choose not to use the public schools are the reason they are failing."

Leftists are incapable of learning from the failures of their policies, which is why they keep advocating and applying the same failed policies over and over and over. It SOUNDS good, provided you don't think too hard about it, therefore it MUST be good. That the results are disastrous no matter how many times we run the experiment is beside the point.
There are many things to dislike about Ms. Benedikt's article, but the chief one for me is the delight she takes in her own ignorance. Far from being ashamed of her lousy education, she seems to think that it resulted in a pretty darn special person. If I had read one book in high school, I would never presume to tell anyone on earth how to educate his children.
"...that calls for the educational execution of your children for some unidentifiable future children you should care more about than your own “spawn”, as Benedikt calls them."

It's also a product of the narcissism of Progressives. In order for you to feel good about yourself (i.e. you care about poor kids' education), you must not provide all you can for you children. Rely on the government to get it right, eventually.

I read your article, and the following immediately came to mind. A district enterprise never discussed in the open is "trafficking". Districts establish federally funded special education programs that in order to continue to receive funds they have to stay a year ahead of the budget, and this requires several years of planning to populate these classes with a head count to keep them going. To this end, they cull students from regular education knowing full well they are trafficking children who would never actually qualify for services, and the way they do this is the double bind. In other words, they target children who are vulnerable to harassment, subject them to sustained hazing and intimidation, document the fallout in behavior and learning they allege is natural for the child and rout them. This produces the head count they need to keep their programs funded. I dealt with this in the system. It's real, and out state department of education ignored my complaints to end this. It's business for the districts who do this. It's how they pay their debts. It's criminal. It's unethical, but the do it and get away with it largely because people are not aware of how they do it. School policies are written to service such an enterprise and UNGODLY present in competition with the child's civil rights.
"You can hardly open a periodical without coming across the statement that what our civilization needs is more 'drive', or dynamism, or self-sacrifice, or 'creativity'. In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful."

I was recently talking to a neighbor, who was lamenting the quality of education her grandchildren are getting in the local elementary school. She said the kids complain constantly about how bored they are in school. One reason is that in their school, about half of the kids are from Mexico (or Central America). They don't speak English as a primary language, and some don't speak English at all. My neighbor said in parent-teacher conferences last year, the teachers told her that they first have to make sure the non-English-speaking children are understanding the lesson, and then they worry about the other kids. They can't get half the work done they are supposed to, because they have so many kids who don't speak English. Even the schools that have bi-lingual education STILL have to struggle with the kids who don't speak English. The only thing bi-lingual schools do is prolong the amount of time it takes for the Mexican kids to learn English, because they don't have to for their classes taught in Spanish.

She also told me that the smarter kids in the classroom are often tasked with tutoring the kids who are struggling. So, let me get this straight. The school won't separate out the kids who don't speak English (even the black ones who don't speak standard English) so they can have classes better suited to their needs. Instead, we throw all of the kids in together and then expect the smart CHILDREN to teach their classmates because the teacher doesn't have time.

And for this our county shells out over $10,000 per student per year, $5,000 annually coming from me.

If I had kids today I would homeschool.
One criticism of the enormous pile of stupid that is Benedikt's article that I haven't seen is evident in the line quoted.

If everyone is in public schools, and public schools are providing mediocre education to the first two generations, then where are the teachers providing an excellent education to the third generation going to come from?

Oh, they learn from the failures of their policies. They learn that counterrevolutionaries were actively (or inactively) sabotaging their good works, or that others were insufficiently zealous in their implementation.

Their policies have no connection to reality, why would you expect the lessons they learn to be any different?
Allison Benedikt and her ilk represent the very antithesis of what it is to be an American. This is the kind of person that poses the greatest threat to national security because these traitors have more time to interact with our children ~ our nation's greatest treasures ~ than we do ourselves.

Homeschooling is an outstanding and common sense approach to handling this internal war for the souls of our children, but more must be done to stop their agenda. MUCH more.