How the Father of Lies Made Jews Evil and Christians Murderous

"Who killed Jesus? No question defines the Jewish-Christian relationship more than this." -- Rabbi Shmuley Boteach's Kosher Jesus.

Rhonda Robinson

August 11, 2013 - 2:00 pm

EvilJews2

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” —  Adolf Hitler

Nothing thus far in Rabbi Boteach’s Kosher Jesus has disturbed me so deeply as did this week’s reading. Not because we differed, I expected that. What has grieved me to the core is the truth about the lies.

In John 8:44 Jesus says,

You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him.When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

In this passage, Jesus was talking to Jews. But more precisely, he was speaking directly to individuals — not a nation. He called out a small group of men in a crowd for their murderous thoughts and intent. He was judging their hearts.

The “father of lies” has twisted Jesus’ words in the minds of religious leaders, which in turn warped their theology. Boteach quotes both respected Catholics and Protestants that, through the ages, have spewed and perpetuated the lie that the Jews murdered Jesus.

Impossible I say.

You write, " He spoke directly to Moses, and made a way of atonement. If that be so, wouldn’t He also make a way for the rest of us pagans to know our Creator? Would He command Adam and Eve to populate the earth and yet leave so many in the darkness of their own sin with no way of atonement, separated from Him for eternity?" I mean this in the most respectful way, but from the standpoint of Judaism, Christianity solves a problem that doesn't exist. The Torah does not postulate "Original Sin"; all souls are pure at birth (although they include the "yetzer hara," AKA the id) and our job is to try to keep them that way, and polish them up with repentance when we fail (as all do - lucky for us G-d is merciful). The Jews were given the Torah in order to fulfill a Divine plan, but the rest of the world has the Seven Laws of Noah, AKA natural law. Rather than separation from G-d being the default and salvation the Herculean goal, it's the other way around - in much classic Jewish thought, it takes a lot of effort to earn eternal damnation! I have not read R. Boteach's book, but it would come as a surprise if it didn't cover, or at least touch upon, these matters.
I'm not sure where he is going with it all. I've enjoyed learning about the Jewish faith.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments werewife, I always enjoy reading your perspective.
While I definitely acknowledge that Satan is definitely the master of all lies, being second to none in the field (and either way, I definitely wish to find Satan and butcher him and carve him into little pieces for going against God), calling him the Father of Lies is inaccurate for a simple reason: In order for someone to be the "father" of something, they'd need to have created it: Satan, or any of the angels fallen or otherwise for that matter, does not have the power of creation (it is in fact the only power that the angels actually lack, and they possess several). That is a power God has alone. In other words, that makes God Himself the father of all lies, since only he has the power to create, and thus is the only one actually capable of creating lies that didn't exist before the day of creation.

I must obey God and Jesus because if I don't, they will incinerate me, destroy me, just as he did to Sodom and Gomorrah, just as he did to Egypt, just as he did to that well. God is perfectly willing to exterminate people. We as humans were deliberately created to be powerless before God. If God truly wanted us to be in his image, he would have granted us the exact same powers as him, and have the same omniscience as him. The fact that he didn't only proves that he views us as pawns at best. Don't forget, God is also responsible for the creation of Islam and was behind its attacks on both us and Judaism (and its obvious that he was because Archangel Gabriel had created it under God's direct command. Had he disobeyed God, he'd be a fallen angel, and considering how instrumental a role he played in ensuring Jesus's birth by delivering the message to the Virgin Mary that she was chosen by God, him actually turning away from God is an impossibility. It being a fallen angel, possibly even Satan, posing as Gabriel is also out of the question: Considering how God and Jesus basically worked to get rid of sin from the world, why would they blow it in regards to allowing a fallen angel to basically undo their work?) His granting us free will only proves God's own hatred for us, as granting us the ability to do untold carnage (which is the point of Free Will: The French Revolution, the various revolutions that depose of a power and slaughter each other as well, the Days of Rage in Chicago, as well as various moral depravity proves that the entire point of free will is to give the middle finger to rules and regulations). And another thing, if God truly wanted to free us from Sin, he would have ensured it by taking away our own free will and making us mindless robots after Jesus was resurrected from the dead.

God is someone to be feared as a ruler, not someone to be loved.
I'm always "fascinated" by theological constructs like this.
People tell us that the Creator is "infinitely" merciful, and to prove that they then declare and "demonstrate" that the Creator is really "infinitely" genocidal and brutal.
Queue Inigo Motoya to discuss words and their meanings.
Wow. Whatever gets you through the night.

Really, EJ, please consider the possibility that our Creator allows us to screw up on our own, part of the deal being that He doesn't swoop in and rescue us from our own folly. Lots and lots of people have claimed to be prophets and speak with angels; why assume that Mohammed truly did so? It's more plausible that he made it up as he went along, and the redactors of the Koran added a few whoppers of their own.
Besides, my terror of God has its roots back in Raiders of the Lost Ark, and that picture book of the Book of Revelations and some of the readings of the Old Testament (not to mention the Architect's allegorical role as God in the Matrix Trilogies as confirmed by the creators, and this was despite the Matrix Trilogy being considered Christian films) and the Patriots from MGS2, preceding Reloaded for a good two years, having a similar role, certainly does not help matters much either.
The only way our creator could allow us to screw up on our own is if he enjoyed the carnage caused by free will (anarchy). I know if I created humanity with free will, that would have been my reason, out of sadism and hate.
Really?
So if you had children you would only be satisfied if they were your abject slaves, and you would only allow them to leave home so as to be able to mock them for their failures when they came crawling back?

Well, THAT certainly explains the parable of The Prodigal Son.
How do you refute annihilationism and condtionalism in a Christian context?
After a quick web search I understand that annihilationism is the belief that the final destruction of unbelievers essentially causes them to disappear instead of remaining in torment. Conditionalism, or “conditional immortality”, refers to the belief that believers are allowed by God to live forever while unbelievers don’t live forever.

I consider both doctrines to be unbiblical. In Matthew 25:41-45 Jesus describes the fate of unbelievers as eternal punishment in everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels. Eternal punishment implies that unbelievers are likewise eternal, which clearly refutes both annihilationism and conditionalism. Concerning unbiblical doctrines, remember Jesus’ warning that wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction (Matthew 7:13).

"God does not view us as pawns, but rather as objects of his love. Jesus lived a sinless life and was cruelly executed to save sinners. He provided forgiveness for all sins and triumphantly blotted out sin’s penalties (Colossians 2:13-15), so God didn’t “blow it”. Redemption is a process that continues until the believer’s body is redeemed/resurrected (Romans 8:23), and I don’t think we’ll wind up like mindless robots. May God bless your continued search for the truth."

He actually does. Archangel Gabriel pretty much created Islam to attack US under God's own orders (and its obvious that he did it under God's orders). And besides, I had a vision of God gleefully murdering Satan while then proceeding to throw a sun at the planet earth to his delight, and I had this vision in my own church. I know it was from God himself because the fallen angels cannot enter hallowed ground (ie, they can't enter a functioning church or a cemetary). If they even attempted to enter a church, the result would be similar to what happened to those Death Eaters in the second part of The Deathly Hallows when they tried to enter Hogwarts while its shield was still up.
"Everyone will be judged by God, but the deciding factor between suffering God’s eternal wrath or eternal blessing is whether we believe on his Son Jesus Christ (1 John 3:23, Matthew 25:31-33). This belief will be evident in our behavior (1 John 3:3, Matthew 25:34-46). This doesn’t mean believers have it easy or unbelievers suffer destruction in life, the daily news often shows just the opposite."

The fact that God has wrath, eternal wrath, not to mention, conflicts the fact that God is supposed to be completely sinless. Wrath is one of the seven deadly sins.
"Free will proves that God respects our choices. God is glorified when people freely choose to love him. If we were forced to love and worship God it would be meaningless. Even our freely choosing moral depravity doesn’t disqualify us from God’s forgiveness, since Christ died for us while we were yet sinners (Romans 5:8). Jesus called people to repent, so freely choosing to sin is the common condition."

No, his granting us free will proves how LITTLE respect he has for his own creation. If I were God and I granted free will, it would only be so I could have sadistic amusement in watching the ensuing carnage my creation inflicted upon each other. Whenever I think of free will, I think of the horrific times where people butchered other people, like the various Communist revolutions, the various anarchistic actions such as the Days of Rage or the Wall Street Bombings, riots, the hippie movement, Occupy Wall Street, the Weathermen Underground, the kind of stuff promoted by the Matrix Trilogy (where all forms of control was a bad thing apparently). To put it into regular language, free will is the exact same thing as "sticking it to the man." I have a deep loathing of free will specifically because it is what causes people to sin. And we were forced to serve God. The ten commandments prove that we were forced. The mere fact that we have rules means we are forced into serving him.
"The bible identifies God as the creator, but people and, evidently, angels can also create “things” such as false statements. Jesus identified Satan as the father of lies. This must be true since Jesus didn’t sin (Hebrews 4:15). Apparently Satan had this ability, as we have the ability to choose to sin."

Except Jesus also pretty much told us he freed us from sin (Agnus Dei and the Gloria pretty much made that clear), which in itself IS a lie because sin still very clearly exists. If he were being honest, truly honest, he would have taken away the very root cause of sin, which is free will. I know if I were Jesus and I said that, I would have meant exactly that. God also lied to Job during the time he destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah: He stated that he'd spare the city if there were innocents, yet the fact that he was omniscient (meaning all knowing) means he already knew there weren't even any innocents worth saving in the city, meaning he had already decided the city's fate long beforehand. If I were God and I were in God's situation and Job tried to pester me about what if there were some number of innocents, I would have said, quite honestly and quite coldly, "I'm omniscient, no matter which number you try to narrow it down to, excluding your family, there are no innocents in the city. There's nothing you can do to change their fate. My decision, as God, cannot be changed, especially not to a mortal like yourself." The fact that God killed also proved that he broke the seventh Commandment "Thou Shalt Not Kill." (And before you try to claim that the commandment read "Thou Shalt Not Murder," Jesus never killed even out of self defense, so that shows the Commandment does, in fact, mean "kill" and not "murder." Besides, I would have freely admitted that I murdered someone had I been a judge and I had gone through sentencing (a serial killer) as guilty and to the death penalty, so there's no real difference between the two.) And no, God alone has the power of creation, that means even we can't create anything. All we can do is manipulate. We can't truly create stuff out of nothing. The bible and scriptures made it very clear that God alone has the power of creation, no one else does.
I tried to respond to your post, but for some reason, it keeps getting an error message so I'll try to break it up into small pieces.