Bad Advice: Slaying Facebook Trolls

How to silence people who refuse to be defriended.

Hannah Sternberg

July 17, 2013 - 10:00 am

Submit your questions to PJMBadAdvice@gmail.com or leave a question in the comments section, and I’ll answer it in Bad Advice!

6a00d83451b36c69e2017615eed4b3970c-800wi

Dear Bad Advice,

Recently I cleared out my Facebook friends list. It was getting out of control and I wasn’t seeing updates from people I cared about, because my newsfeed was so clogged up with people I haven’t seen in years and don’t really care about. The weird thing is, even though Facebook doesn’t notify you when you’ve been deleted by someone (at least, as far as I’m aware) a surprising number of the people I’d removed from my friends list noticed, and sent me angry or surprised messages asking me why I’d removed them! I barely interact with these people on FB or away from it, and I have no idea how they managed to notice so quickly, or why they seem to care so much. Any advice on how to respond to them?

- Tired of Facebook Fiends

This is going to sound like bad advice, but sometimes you just have to give someone the cold shoulder.

All this person had to do was change the settings of these friends so they didn't crowd her news feed.

Good point! I wanted to keep my advice today centered on the social and emotional aspects of this situation, rather than the technical details of how to hide someone on your news feed, because the core problem is that some people take Facebook "friendship" way too seriously, and it's good to know how to deal with them!
Yeah, about that. It wasn't really good advice. People deserve some sort of decency, and facebook friends are people. Treat them decently. Life is long, and the same people keep turning up, so you never know when that defriending with no explanation will come back to haunt you. Stay classy.
FB does not do a real good job of seeing to it that people know this, so it goes unnoticed by way too many people. One really has to do a lot of poking around in FB to see what all the options are & see how to get the most benefit from it.
Really? I don't think so. Something as basic as what shows in your newsfeed isn't hard.
You can also prevent posts from some Facebook friends from appearing in your news feed. I've had to block some friends because their re-posting of political stuff (both right and left unfortunately) was so prolific that it got in the way of self-generated comments from other friends. Missed a potentially fun evening with a friend visiting from out-of-town because her few sentences of useful news got lost in a flood of useless images. Wish Facebook had the option to keep original content from everyone while blocking cases where friends are just repeating stuff from someone else.