Paula Bolyard

July 7, 2013 - 1:00 pm

esv, 022

For the past several weeks I’ve been discussing the concept of a New Great Awakening and asking whether we are due for a spiritual revival in the United States.

Of course, any true Christian revival will be built upon a foundation of prayer. The Third Great Awakening began with a businessman in Manhattan who started noontime prayer meetings that eventually swelled to 10,000 people in New York City and then spread across the country. In the New Testament, James says that “The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working” (James 5:16).

But does God promise to heal America if we pray?

“…if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land” (2 Chronicles 7:14).

Every self-respecting, patriotic Christian can recite the verse from memory and many claim it as a direct promise of God to the United States in the year 2013 without really giving much thought to the context of the promise or to whom it was given.

In 2 Chronicles 7, we find the Israelites, led by King Solomon, dedicating the temple they just built. Solomon asks God to fulfill his promise that a descendant of David would always sit on the throne of Israel. God responds by warning Israel of the consequences of disobedience—telling them what the results will be when they turn from him (‘when’ … not ‘if’). Read it in context:

“I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for myself as a house of sacrifice. When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command the locust to devour the land, or send pestilence among my people, if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”

This was a specific promise given to King Solomon and the physical nation of Israel.

I have come to the same conclusion as the author, which is that only a revival will save our country. Not a political party, not a grassroots effort, only turning to God. I still support the party and efforts which protect our values, but my hope is in God.

As part of that I am becoming more public about my faith and defending the Word of God.
My my. Now it's the Roman Catholic Church inquiring of Hitler and Stalin. And it so under wrap. Was it John Paul persecuting the Catholic Church during WWII? Inquiring minds want to know.

Why don't you jlw demonstrate your mettle and donate your money with "In God We Trust" to a good atheistic cause like like like....now where are those humanitarian works again?

You're not only militant punk. You're a woefully inadequate historical imbecile and useful idiot for the cause. Add that to my list of intolerance...

It was recently determined that the militant atheist stooges and jackboots, that would be rubes like you jlw, were approximately 18,300,000% more likely to commit mass murder than the worst 'Christian' crime of all time which was the Spanish Inquisition.

Frankly jlw, it must pain you that you and your ilk have a far worse human right's record than say radical Islam.

But it's the Christians we've got to worry about.
and this my fellow readers is that christian charity we hear about.

18,300,000%? here's a quarter. go to walmart and buy a clue
Spare us the passive-aggressive response ... evangelical atheists are some of the biggest zealots out there, exhibiting a fundamentalist zeal for their faith (and yes, it is a faith in the omniscience of selected members of the human species) that makes fire-and-brimstone preachers sound like they've got a good mellow going.

BTW, evangelical Christians are your first line of defense against theocracy ... look into the doctrine of the priesthood of the believer, which is held by millions of evangelicals and is incompatible with theocracy. Anyone who tries that among the "brethern" (and "sistern"?) will be quickly slapped down.

But I will say this about turning the other cheek ... the same God who told us to do that gave us a total of four cheeks to turn, and a brain to know when an alternative action is called for before we run out.
Has nothing to do with charity, rube. You're a poor liar and a coward and I'm calling you on it. You don't like it, shut your mouth or suck it up - but your militancy and hate are going to be called from this day forward. Not every Christian a doormat, boy...

And if you like to make a bet on this board for about a thousand bucks on that claim I just made, just give the word and I'll prove it. Just make sure you got your money handy, because you don't appear terribly trustworthy or bright...

yawn
the gauntlet was thrown to jlw, and he is manfully taking a nap
will prayer change the destruction we all see we are hurling toward?

in the time of Jeremiah the prophet, the people of Jerusalem prayed mightily to the Lord to protect them. they just didn't do what was required (obey His word) beyond that and were destroyed or taken away captive.

we all know the evil that has taken over this country, and nothing short of our complete destruction will stop the abominations taking place w/o our consent and using our tax $$.

two separate countries from one might forestall the inevitable destruction to come; but, the blue states (socialism/fascism) would quickly spiral downward. we would soon have another serious immigration problem requiring us to keep out citizen's relatives wanting another chance. and the evil would start all over again.

how very wise our forefathers were to have predicted what would eventually lead to our downfall.

corporate revivial - nope...individual revival - only way....and btw, obeying the ten commandments?...when did men get to decide the sabbath? God said it was the 7th day, and no way is God going to bless anyone who thinks that man's interpretation of the 1st day sabbath is going to win any points....the Jewish people have it right on this. The days are not created equal ( see Gen 1), and God made it crystal clear the 7th day is to be shabbat, not the decision of a Roman Obama in the 4th century. And to those who say it doesn't make a difference when, God made it perfectly clear that it does. So start there. Anyone believe in millions of years of death and chaos before God stepped in? Again, can't build a house on a sinking foundation. Anyone into Israeli boycott? The Word makes it clear you will be cursed....so there's more to it than just the commandments. What about those Christians walking the fence of two kingdoms - working in this government, loyal to ?? We've already seen enough loyalty in this administration by "good" people. Get out of politics, believe the Whole Word, live it as Jesus lived it, transform one heart at a time, get rid of the tv, celebrate shabbat and the festivals as commanded by the Lord, have nothing to do with the pagan celebrations of Isthar and Christmas, take a trip to Israel, pray for anyone but yourself, and when God tells you to do something,do'nt put it on a to do list, live fearlessly and just do it
I have to admit that, having had the experience of being differently religioned in small towns in Colorado, and having watched how some of my Jewish friends have been treated in recent years, the idea of a Christian New Great Awakening, with people who "boldly proclaim the way of blessing to those who do not know Christ" running governments, does not fill me with anticipation.
i wonder how long it will be until the "New Great Awakening" brings us a new Inquisition, Crusade or Irish Troubles. Since the Christians can't seem to stand up to and defeat Islam, the rage will be directed at Jews and, even more viciously, atheists.

all in the name of the loving god, of course. and of course one brand of christianity can't really accept another.

"That's where the true healing will begin in our land." when the good Christians can destroy all that don't share their superstition exactly.
jlw,
You are laying blame for Christian violence, atheist violence, and Muslim violence, all at the feet of Christians. Interesting.
Charlie,

MacArthur (and I agree with him) is not saying that there should be some sort of theocracy or that Christians should attempt to use the power of the state to coerce anyone to convert to Christianity. If you read my other pieces in this series -- "Should Pastors and Churches Be Involved in Politics" and "America is Not a Christian Nation" (links below), you'll see that's not the point.

Consider that there are already Christians who "boldly proclaim the way of blessing" working in government at all levels and it has been that way since the inception of this country. The vast majority of them live quiet and peaceful lives and strive to obey the Ten Commandments and teachings of Christ, not bothering anyone. The "Fruit of the Spirit" I mentioned -- love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control -- are universal qualities that, when lived out rightly, bless employers, employees, and constituents. We need more of those qualities in every American.
Nor do I mean to suggest that MacArthur intended to. But what about others?I've certainly been harassed because I'm not a Christian; a Jewish friend of mine was more or less run out of a small town in Colorado in part because she is Jewish. I'm just saying that for all the kind and kindly well-intentioned Christians I've met -- and there are lots, as well as kind and kind and kindly well-intentioned Jews, Moslems, Hindus, Buddhists and for that matter agnostics and outright atheists -- government seems to attract people who want to make other people Be Good. In that context, while I might be somewhat less nervous about a Christian New Awakening than, say, a Moslem Awakening, the idea still does not fill me with joyful exhilaration.
Perhaps you see what you want to see in your concerns, Charlie.

Because I've been 'harassed' for being Christian so many times I've lost count. See this jlw type above? Christians get mocked like that every day, even on this board. If Christians were really these intolerant, theocratic people they get accused of being by the imbeciles, you think these jlw punks would be so brave? They'd get rolled in a nanosecond if we were the tyrants we were made out to be.

Yet, in every crisis in America who leads the charge to provide comfort? Christians. Who are the most generous in their offerings of charity? Christians. Who created Habitat for Humanity and the Salvation Army? Christians. America is supposedly the most generous people on earth. And what do most Americans claim as their faith? Christianity.

Most of us understand that not only are the jlw types deluded, they're rank cowards and morons. It wasn't Christians in the 20th century that killed millions - it was the jlw types believing in the myth of the goodness of man. They insult us and for the most part, the vast majority of us still turn the other cheek, don't we?

I've defend Israel on this board time and again and will continue to do so, but I also recognize there are a multitude of atheists referring to themselves as Jewish in America that are Christians worst enemies in America. The ACLU, the Anti-Defamation League, the SPLC, Hollywood. Do those same people calling themselves Jewish live in fear? Apparently not.

Christianity gets a bum rap because it allows itself to get a bum rap. I for one have decided it is way overdue to point to the sins of some of you supposedly "victimized" folks too.

Tex, I think we have exactly the same concerns -- neither you nor I want to be harassed for our beliefs. What concerns me is the people who want to harass others for their beliefs. They rarely harass me for Christian beliefs because I'm not one. But I promise, the people who have harassed *me* for my beliefs have uniformly identified themselves as Christians.
my my. all these jlw types want is to be able to spend money that doesn't say "in god we trust" to not be blamed for killing millions when hitler was a catholic and stalin trained for the priesthood.

the Inquisition started in the 12th century and was renamed the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office in 1904 and continues to this day.

atheists get a bad rap from intolerant people like you.
jlw,
You don't want to be blamed for the atheist Nazi state and the atheist communist state killing millions in the matter of a few decades, and one sentence later you are resurrecting Inquisition deaths of several thousand people over the course of 350 years. Your comparative analysis is poor.